Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Swapping from One Row to Two  (Read 3727 times)

Myrrh Music

• Regular debater
  • Wandering Brummie
Swapping from One Row to Two
« on: March 01, 2011, 01:30:36 PM »

:'(I've just received my new Hohner Presswood which has been refurbished by Mike Rowbotham and it sounds lovely - but - I'm swapping from  my Hohner single row and it has absolutely thrown me this morning - don't seem to know stuff I thought I had settled in my head - everything seems to have gone back almost to the first time I picked one up(4 months ago) Too many basses, too many buttons  - --is this normal---? Shall I kill myself... :Ph Hell! :|bl

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
Re: Swapping from One Row to Two
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 02:35:15 PM »

Panic not!
One step at a time...
First, you'll find a pair of bass buttons that goes with one row as if it was a 1-row instrument, and another pair that goes similarly with the other row. Get used to playing using those, so you get used to the feel of the box and  associating those two pairs of bass buttons with the RH rows that they mainly go with. Once you have those two "home" positions clear in your mind, you won't feel so lost.

Next, start noticing when some chords don't fit properly. When that happens, see if you can find a better chord by trying other options. Sometimes it's just a different chord/bass pair, sometimes when you are playing in D, you may want to switch rows (and bellows direction) to get a G chord or to have a A chord under an A note. (assuming it's a D/G box)

But essentially, start with what you already know, and explore, a step at a time, enjoying the voyage of discovery as your new box gradually reveals its secrets!

« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 02:37:33 PM by Anahata »
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Myrrh Music

• Regular debater
  • Wandering Brummie
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 04:10:44 PM »

:-[Thanks.  I know the penny will drop eventually if I persevere, at the moment I've even stooped to the level of a yellow post-it on the top of the box in the format of the basses chords! :|blThat's how bad it is! Just had to have a quick knee jerk panic..
Mary (Myrrh) (:)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 04:16:45 PM »

I've even stooped to the level of a yellow post-it on the top of the box in the format of the basses chords! That's how bad it is!

This sounds the most eminently sensible solution to you temporary problem going. Well done  ;D

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 05:26:41 PM »

There's no gadget like the human brain, well applied.  :D
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Brian Rawcliffe

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 08:01:19 PM »

Haha! I feel your pain!

In exactly the same position, having just bought a G/C Hohner...

I'm a coward, though, I keep sneaking back to the one-row!!  (:)

Brian.

Blayne

• Fiddle me this?
    • Mountain Sprout
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 08:05:18 PM »

I too am getting ready to purchase a new 2 row melodeon.  Im thinking of c/f to play along with bluegrass/old timey. Would this be the correct set up? 
  I love my single row pokerwork d box i picked up 6 months ago but the band requies a few more chords.  GCDF Amin,  forstarters.  Any thoughts?
Blayne Thiebaud

Andy in Vermont

• Mélodie
    • Melodeon Minutes (blog)
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 09:28:18 PM »

I too am getting ready to purchase a new 2 row melodeon.  Im thinking of c/f to play along with bluegrass/old timey. Would this be the correct set up?  
  I love my single row pokerwork d box i picked up 6 months ago but the band requies a few more chords.  GCDF Amin,  forstarters.  Any thoughts?

My experience with old time musicians is that they can be very firm about the keys that are used for each specific tune.  If you play alone, this won't matter, but if you need to be able to sit down with a banjo and fiddler who are playing a tune... you'll need to know what keys the tunes are in.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 11:10:23 PM »

I think you will struggle to play in D on a CF box. CFG and Am should be ok though.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 11:39:08 PM »

The old timey sessions that I've been in have been mostly in the key of A, so a D/G might be best suited (I find that much of the material is best played in second position on a melodeon, i.e. A on a D melodeon.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Blayne

• Fiddle me this?
    • Mountain Sprout
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 11:46:23 PM »

It seems my banjo players want to play play mostly in G.  Progression:G C Emin D..
Blayne Thiebaud

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 03:07:50 AM »

It seems my banjo players want to play play mostly in G.  Progression:G C Emin D..

I am so sick of playing with guitars in festival sessiona .. G - Emin - D7 - G ... G - Emin - D7 - G ... G - Emin - D7 - G ...  :-\
  _       _    _      _ 

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 05:03:32 AM »

If you have a look at the Fiddler's Fake Book, most of the tunes are in D, A, G, and C major, and Emin and Amin. A three row ADG covers a bit of ground there. I have two different 2-rows that work much of the time, a G/C and an A/D. The G/C does the above mentioned progression easily.

Accordion Dave

• Respected Sage
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 12:41:27 AM »

Shall you kill yourself?

Absolutely not!

Relax and have fun with it.

I have been playing the piano accordion most of my life, but I am having great fun with one-row and two-row melodeons.

Learning the ins and outs of the bisonric system has been a challenge. Changing bellows direction now seems to come naturally when I don't think about it too much.

BruceHenderson

• Respected Sage
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 07:01:13 PM »

Haha! I feel your pain!

In exactly the same position, having just bought a G/C Hohner... (snip)

And, years ago, I was in a different situation, going from a two-row to a one row.  I had been playing a few years at the time, but I'd work on the melody for a few minutes and get the right hand going then check on the left.  After a couple of little practice sessions, I was switching back and forth between the two instuments with no problems.
I love one-rows!  Four reeds kick butt!!!!

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 07:23:46 PM »

On a similar note (pun intended), my father, who has played a 2-row for over 50 years, told me that if you are used to play a 2-row and get a 3-row, put aside the 2-row for 6 months while you learn to use the 3-row!
Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F and G/C,
Hohner Erica A/D, Roland FR-18

Tattyjacket

• Good talker
    • Tattyjacket
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 07:46:14 PM »

You now have eight bass buttons instead of two.
The two nearest the floor on the outside will be equal to what you used to have on a single row, playing G push, D pull.
They will play with the inside row on the other side and you'll be playing the equivalent of a single row in G.
If you remember this, then you should manage everything that you were able to play on a single row.

The two nearest the sky on the outside Play D push, A major pull and if you play them with the outside on the other side, you will be playing the equivalent of a single row in D..

My advice....get to grips with what you already know keeping these facts in mind.

THEN.....and only then, try the two buttons inside near the floor. They play a C chord and will sound wonderful againsts all of the chords that don't ever sound quite right on a one row. AND the great thing about them is that they play a C chord in both directions.

Try to play a scale of G major. Right hand side inner row. Left hand side, start on the bottom two outer buttons.
Keep playing G chords and D chords until you get to the C then swop to the C Chord buttons.
Tell us how you get on.

Phil
Clocs Canton + Full Moon Morris

Myrrh Music

• Regular debater
  • Wandering Brummie
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 12:56:23 PM »

(:) Thanks so much for all your advice.  I'm not so scared of it now...I can play La Marianne with only the occasional falter, after about 2 days of trying to note down what went where from videos.  Tralee Gaol and Jenny Lind I have (on a good day).  Harvest Home, Boys from the Blue Hill not a hope. Also problem for me is that I find it hard to think up for myself what basses and chords to use, if I only have the melody notes, but maybe that will come with noticing what is happening when I follow the written scores that I have under my belt. 

I'm afraid I still think in terms of Aa,Bb,Cc etc rather than actual notation.  Should I learn that I wonder? Still, after 6 months I'm  enjoying it immensely, and it is fabulous for me to have this to work at, whilst my husband is in his wood-turning workshop.  We are in the middle of nowhere and it's this or housework/gardening.  So glad I found this forum too.  :|||:

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 01:46:32 PM »

I suspect that in time instinct will take over and you will only have to think about the odd left hand bit that sounds "wrong". As someone who learns 100% by ear it is my only option. When I learn a new tune I normally build up both hands together but on more complex stuff I may get the right hand sorted first but then often have to relearn bits, with push pull reversals, to match better left hand options. Remember there are often options rather than just one "right" way. I also began on a one row so fully understand the problem!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal