Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hip Pain  (Read 1943 times)

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
Hip Pain
« on: May 27, 2011, 12:22:59 PM »

>:(This might be completely unrelated to my melodeon playing but............

I started learning to play the melodeon this week and I'm absolutely addicted to it. My problem is that I've noticed that I'm getting quite a lot of hip pain and wondered if it could be linked to my melodeon practice.  I play sitting down and use two straps.  I'm probably playing for too long at a time but you know how the time flies by when you're trying to get something down.  It might be the endless pushing and pulling - I'm not opening the bellows much at this stage as I don't want to drive everyone round the twist with this.

The other consideration is that I am 58 - fairly fit but you never know what's around the corner!

Anyone got any thoughts on this or experienced similar?

Many Thanks

Les
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Hip Pain
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 01:07:17 PM »

Just checking that you are working the bellows with your arms, not your knees? :o ;D ;D
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 01:21:52 PM »

I know I'm a beginner but I'm not that thick!! It was worth you checking though because you never know!! ;D ;D ;)
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 01:24:37 PM »

Shoulder/wrist pain yes..hip no.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 01:35:28 PM »

Les - suggest you examine your posture when sitting and playing? Try breaking up the time so that you're not in any one position for too long a period. I often split my time between standing and sitting just to break things up a bit.
Hope this helps, AL.

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 01:41:47 PM »

(:)Thanks Al. 

Chris Brimley

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 01:44:36 PM »

I must admit I've never had this trouble, Les, and I'm a few years older than yourself, and have been playing for a long old time.  It might be an uncomfortable strap position, too low a seat, or unnatural stance, I guess, though - do you want to attach a photo of how you play?  We may be able to recognise a problem.  The nearest problem I once had was when I played standing up with the aid of a home-made waist-mounted strut, which I found was bending my spine.

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 01:49:38 PM »

Since you use both straps like I do, suggest playing standing, as others have said.  See what happens.  When you watch some of the groups' partipants YouTubes, you can see that some are in the fatal "melodeon crouch" and it even looks painful, especially those that cross their legs also.
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Jim

• Good talker
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 04:11:15 PM »

When I first started playing I got a pain in my lower back from sitting on the sofa playing whilst twisted to one side to read sheet music/notes/tutorials laid out on the sofa next to me. I put all that stuff on a music stand in front of me and the problem went away.

Nowadays, I don't rely on the paperwork so much and so tend to change position a lot more which helps too.

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2011, 04:51:56 PM »

Are you slightly rotating your torso to the left while playing? I have seen some players do this, their torso follows their left arm extending to the left while pulling the bass side of the melodeon, and this may create a tension on the hips' muscles.
Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F and G/C,
Hohner Erica A/D, Roland FR-18

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2011, 04:58:24 PM »

I'll have a look at this (or get my wife to).  This could be the problem.  Thank you!
Les

Nick Hudis

• Respected Sage
  • Loffet Pro 18, Castagnari Casta
    • Themassageman
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 05:04:49 PM »

Do you sit cross legged?  Are you twisting/ leaning to one side or hunched over the instrument.  Any of these things could affect your lower back which  will either refer pain to the hips or put them under strain as the compensate for the misalignment of the back. Its good to alternate between sitting and standing and to ensure you sit in a good upright relaxed posture.  Often beginners are tense while they play.. that only natural and you may be feeling that tension too.

I've treated a good many musicians professional and amateur over the years.  As a musician, you use you body as intensely as a an athlete or sports person.  You need to look after it to get the most out of your music.  
Nick

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 05:13:34 PM »

I'm also 58 and use a fairly heavy box for Morris, so do a lot of standing around with it hanging over my gut!  I find I get lower back pain unless I remember to take it off and walk around a bit to loosen up.  Next day I get hip pain - it's all connected, isn't it?  Keep moving, a moving target is harder to hit!

Rob.

george garside

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 05:16:58 PM »

there is sitting & sitting! The posture playing in an easy chair , settee or similer is not good. - best use an upright chair such as a dining chair & sit with back straight, shoulders back, bum against back of chair  & knees bent at right angle.  !

having said that I have never come accross anybody with hip pain from box playing - pain in many other bits, yes, but not hips.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2011, 07:51:01 PM »

Someone needs to call Doc 3-row?
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal