Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Addio, Paolo.  (Read 1629 times)

zana

• Saltarelle Irish Bouebe B/C
Addio, Paolo.
« on: May 25, 2011, 11:59:11 PM »

We've only been together for two months, but I think I knew almost from the beginning that he was the wrong one for me. I was swept off my feet by his smooth operation, his powerful four-reed treble and his ruby-red-mother-of-toilet seat exterior. He was available right when I needed him too, and how often does that happen?

But the Paolo Soprani Elite 1 was maybe just too much instrument for me. It is quite large, quite heavy, and the tremolo tuning and four treble reeds were more than a shy beginner needs if she wants to play it in her weekly session someday, so....

I saw a used Saltarelle Irish Bouebe for sale on consignment at Elderly Music here in Michigan and I went up there today and bought it. B/C, swing tuning, 23 buttons, the stop to remove the thirds, and it feels just lovely, just right and I can play it like I've been practicing with weights on until now. I know that the instrument is not usually the problem, but Paolo and I were not a good match. I am feeling relieved, and excited to get on with learning to play. Now that I've got a D major chord on the push, I'm feeling ready to get serious about the basses too.

I'm going to try to find a local buyer for Paolo, maybe someone who plays for dances and works out a lot.  It's not MAD if you are simply replacing an instrument, right?   

Suzanne

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
Re: Addio, Paolo.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 01:34:48 AM »

It's not MAD if you are simply replacing an instrument, right?   

Suzanne

Well.....That's the excuse we all seem to use to justify our .... *obsession* >:E
Seriously, though, you have to have an instrument that's comfortable. It's only when you begin to habitually decide that the next box you own will make you the player that fate truly intended, that you are falling into the throes of MADness... :o

robriki

• Regular debater
  • Saltarelle AD Nuage, Hohner CG Erica
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 05:15:36 AM »

It's like love : you don't decide when you have a crush.  But only you can live with the consequences  >:E

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 01:10:31 PM »

I once played one of those Paolos.  I was buying a Castagnari Max from a guy who was selling to fund the new box, so of course he had to show off his new purchase whilst I was there.  I too found it heavy and hard work to play, although I'm sure that familiarity would have overcome most of that.  But, when you're learning, you can't expect to have the capacity to deal with physical problems as well!  It may be that in the future you will reach a stage where you can accomodate a heavier box, but the Paolo would have lain unused for at least a couple of years by then.

I have only once exchanged a box and have always used the excuse that I can have a "spare" in case of a simple spring failure or broken reed when playing for a ceilidh, although my spares are approaching double figures now!  I need to reduce my collection and improve my bank balance!  I would love to get a 2.5 or 3 row, but my small hands make the basses almost unuseable.  I hope you get a really good price on the Soprani - no need to regret parting with it, it just wasn't your time.

Rob.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal