Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3rd stop  (Read 2181 times)

mansfieldmick

3rd stop
« on: May 28, 2011, 01:19:02 PM »

I understand about the stop which removes the 3rd in the chord and the concept of modal tuning,but would like to know what preferences people have and why?

mansfieldmick

3rd stop
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 01:19:21 PM »

I understand about the stop which removes the 3rd in the chord and the concept of modal tuning,but would like to know what preferences people have and why?

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
Re: 3rd stop
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 07:31:08 PM »

I tend to remove the third for more celtic-ish stuff, or medieval stuff.  My true preference, though, is for the full chords.
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 07:41:06 PM »

For dancing I have the thirds in (well mostly played on a box with no stops :) ) but for more lyrical stuff I take the thirds out.

mglamb

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 07:45:21 PM »

About the only time I remove the thirds is when the tune calls for a major or minor chord that the box doesn't have, such as B minor or A minor.

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 09:37:02 PM »

Having spent years with Hohners that did not have this facility I was rather baffled when I bought a new box with the stop. After a month of trial and error I find that I really like the sound without thirds for French tunes and solo morris tunes, while I prefer the full sound for most other English tunes. I cannot give any technical explanation for this, it just seems to sound "right" to me.

mansfieldmick

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 09:46:54 PM »

Yes i've tried experimenting with various  tunes ,some seem to work really well with it out and others don't,horses for courses i guess

Marje

• Respected Sage
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 12:01:35 PM »

I suppose it depends on the sound you're after. Many players like the "spare" sound of the open 5ths, while others like the fuller sound of the full chords with 3rds in.

I usually keep the 3rd out, because sometimes I want a minor chord (say Am or Bm) and can achieve a compatible effect by playing an open 5th. I know (before someone tries to tell me) that you can make chords with the right hand too, but if you have a major 3rd in the bass, it's not going to work as a minor, no matter what you do with the right hand.

The open 5ths often sound better with French tunes, or with really old English tunes, whereas I think sometimes the relatively modern tunes such as polkas and waltzes can be enhanced by the sweetness of the added 3rd. That's just my opinion, and I'm sure others have different preferences.
Marje

Marje

• Respected Sage
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 12:05:17 PM »

Woops, this thread seems to have reappeared and I have just reponded to its doppelganger. I've now found this earlier version and am gratified to see that others seem to agree broadly with what I have said.

Can some techical wizard combine the two threads?
Marje

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 01:00:32 PM »

I usually keep the 3rd out, because sometimes I want a minor chord (say Am or Bm) and can achieve a compatible effect by playing an open 5th. I know (before someone tries to tell me) that you can make chords with the right hand too, but if you have a major 3rd in the bass, it's not going to work as a minor, no matter what you do with the right hand.
If your melodeon has a B major chord and you want B minor, play Bm7 instead: push B bass with push D chord. It works in most cases.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal