Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Workshop at Bath Folk Festival 10.8.11  (Read 3503 times)

Frank Lee

• Regular debater
    • Rapper Swords
Workshop at Bath Folk Festival 10.8.11
« on: June 04, 2011, 10:22:43 PM »

In case anyone living in the Bath area is interested, I'll be leading a melodeon workshop on Wednesday 10th August 2-5pm. as part of Bath Folk Festival, venue TBC, but I'll update this as and when.  Price seems steep to me (currently £16), but I guess my 'boss' would argue it's my job to give value for money! At the moment, unless I'm prevailed upon to do otherwise, this'll probably take the form of a talk on approaches to getting the best out of English music on the box, with some demos, and perhaps some 'hands-on'.    I'll probably be giving a concert as part of the trio 'Goodwife Hot' (with Trish Winter, flute and whistles, and Corrie Lee-Schrijver, Northumbrian Pipes, fiddle and recorder), on Monday 9th, but this, its venue and time are yet TBC.
I have some boxes. 
‘You make that thing sound a bit like a musical instrument!’

Frank Lee

• Regular debater
    • Rapper Swords
Re: Workshop at Bath Folk Festival 10.8.11
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 01:22:58 AM »

Two workshops now planned  (Tues & Weds).  Time and venue still TBC.  Still £16 each but they're each 3 hours and I'm assured I'll give good value. Haha!
I have some boxes. 

Frank Lee

• Regular debater
    • Rapper Swords
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 08:01:06 PM »

No details re  times yet, but the workshops will be for players of two row diatonic accordeons (aka melodeons) of the D/G type and I'll be concentrating on playing the whole instrument, in other words, making the left and right hands equal partners in the production of melody - no more donkey basses - and in the quest to rid the device of its 'christmas cracker toy' status.  Also I'll be talking about attitudes to practicing and crossing the various rubicons we all face in melodeonsЯus.   For those who don't know who I am (pretty much all of you I guess) I'll put a video on YouTube, a few of you may even recognise my sadsack physog from playing for Hexham Morris. 
I have some boxes. 

Frank Lee

• Regular debater
    • Rapper Swords
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 05:48:23 PM »

Here's a link to the cajun waltz 'La Valse du Reveur' played on my rather out-of-tune Black Pearl 3. in D/G.  The workshop is billed as 'English Tunes', and in the main this is what i'll be dealing with, but with references to other cultures where appropriate.  I'll add some more tunes shortly.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Swordsmith100?blend=7&ob=5   
I have some boxes. 

Frank Lee

• Regular debater
    • Rapper Swords
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 11:10:28 AM »

Here's another link...Sailor's Hornpipe.  Baffetti sounding a tad rough I'm afraid!   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nRmOfnKw6s
I have some boxes. 

Frank Lee

• Regular debater
    • Rapper Swords
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 11:44:24 AM »

Here's another,  Bumpus of Stretton
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6tu0EYrHEs
I have some boxes. 

folkypete

• Good talker
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 11:07:52 AM »

I've booked a place for the first session (9th Aug) so looking forward to that.   Is the session the following day a repeat or a continuation of the first session.  Cheers.

Frank Lee

• Regular debater
    • Rapper Swords
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 05:27:04 PM »

As a virtually unknown player I'm guessing there won't be a high level of interest in the workshops.  For the same reason it'll be possible to pay at the door, rather than book in advance,  so I'm prepared to 'play it by ear' and base decisions about what to teach on the levels of experience of the punters.  I asked for the words 'participants are encouraged to bring recording devices' to be published on the website, (I see this has not been done) so that you can take away with you whatever snippets of Melodeon wisdom you think you'll find useful.  Also, when not performing/running sessions/teaching workshops, I'll be free to spend extra time with anyone who wishes to talk squeezeboxes in whatever venue we can find. 
I have some boxes. 

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 06:14:46 PM »

As a virtually unknown player  

As usual Frank is being far too modest.  He is a creative and inventive player with a great sense of rhytym and a unique repertoire.  His workshop is sure to be a great learning experience.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Frank Lee

• Regular debater
    • Rapper Swords
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 11:01:44 PM »

I'll settle-up in The Cumberland, Theo!
I have some boxes. 

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 11:20:00 PM »

Thanks Frank- pint of Rapper please!
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

folkypete

• Good talker
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 08:38:54 AM »

Cheers Frank - I'm really looking forward to the workshop.

folkypete

• Good talker
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 06:54:16 PM »

Just finished two days with Frank (Lee).   What a superb player, teacher and all round great guy.  This guy really knows his stuff and how to teach.  I was lucky in that I had practically one-to-one instruction on both afternoons.  If you ever get the opportunity to do a workshop with Frank - take it.  Cheers Frank for imparting all that knowledge and for your patience as I grappled with playing in octaves and all the other wonderful things that you showed me and I attempted to incorporate. 

Also this is a gem of a festival - a really friendly and encouraging ambience.

The organiser said that they are thinking of putting on an English tune summer school next year - so I'll be watching out for that.

Frank Lee

• Regular debater
    • Rapper Swords
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 01:14:40 PM »

Thanks so much Pete, great to have met you,  hope the 'new ingredients' spice-up the fun you get from your box!  They really are boxfuls of secrets aren't they?!  Now stuck in Bath 'til my head shrinks sufficiently to allow access to my car!
I have some boxes. 

ducksuit

• Martin
  • New Starter
  • Mart and chicken
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 04:57:30 PM »

Hello Frank (and Pete).

I really would have liked to have attended your workshop, but was unable to.

I'm quite new to the melodeon world - been playing for a few months now. I'm learning by watching melodeon.net YouTube performances and JK's video.

Frank, I think your 'Bumpus of Stretton' YouTube is inspirational. I've tried to watch your fingers on the video, but it's difficult to really appreciate what's going on.
I don't suppose you've got a transcription?!

Maybe if you do any more courses in the future I'll be able to get there.

Thanks again.

Martin.

Frank Lee

• Regular debater
    • Rapper Swords
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 07:31:22 PM »

Hi Martin,  thanks for the message. I'm afraid I don't read music, just play by 'ear and feel', so I don't have a transcription.  I wasn't teaching tunes at the workshop, just demonstrating my approach to arranging tunes for the D/G system, (which seems to be a very different one from most)  with some tricks for getting a 'full' sound from the basic box, whilst not compromising bass work.  If I'm asked to lead another workshop I'll post under 'Teaching and Learning' (as I should have done this time!), but think this is unlikely.  The Bath one was the result of being 'on the premises' being already there to do a concert.   
I have some boxes. 

Frank Lee

• Regular debater
    • Rapper Swords
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 11:32:37 AM »

Hi Pete, tried to contact you but appear to have mistyped your phone number, so this is my only conduit to you.  However, if you need any follow-up my email address is on my profile page.  Cheers
 F.
I have some boxes. 

Frank Lee

• Regular debater
    • Rapper Swords
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2011, 12:31:51 PM »

I've agreed to lead another workshop at this festival. Everything still in ferment dates and times-wise but prob. 2nd week in August.  I'd guess it'll be pretty much as last time Pete (!).  Just a discourse on tricks for getting the best out of the D/G system when you're 'getting on a bit' and never going to be the Chopin of the Melodeon.  Having spent a few decades trying - and failing - to make the thing sound as good as a fiddle I suppose I've got something to say!  I don't read music, so there won't be any, and I probably won't teach tunes either, but rather demonstrate approaches to putting some gravy on your favourite dishes!
I have some boxes. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal