Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Review of a new Chinese Yingjie piano accordion...  (Read 3699 times)

gerardo1000

Review of a new Chinese Yingjie piano accordion...
« on: June 06, 2011, 01:16:34 AM »

It was by far the cheapest in the market (32 bass, 30 keys for $ 243.00 delivered).
I wanted a budget piano accordion to complement my beloved Hohner Panther.
Didn't want to spend a lot of money. In the past, I ordered a Parrot which was very defective
(several sticky and squeaky buttons), then I purchased a vintage full size 120 keys Italian accordion on
Craigslist: wonderful, but so heavy that it was hurting my back.
Finally, i found the "Barcelona" brand on Amazon, and decided to try. Amazon has a very good return policy,
there was little to risk. After having ordered the accordion, I discovered on-line that it is made by
Yingie, which - as far as I understand- is not considered one of the best chinese accordion manufacturers.
I read that, among chinese manufacturers, Golden Cup is slightly above the others, Parrot is in the middle
(not my experience though) and Yingjie is at the very bottom of quality. It is also branded "Rossetti" and Rossetti accordions do not have a favorable reputation in several accordion and/or melodeon forums. So when the accordion arrived, I was bracing for a huge disappointment. Well, in all honesty, I was positively surprised. Pros: the piano keys action is excellent, keys are firm (not
wobbly) but at the same time very responsive. The bellows are air tight, I mean: no air leakage as far as I can judge, so the accordion produces a sound at the very minimal movement of the bellows. The volume is high. The sound (musette) is very pleasant although not as warm as the Italian vintage accordion that I briefly owned. The accordion is very light ( my back thanks !).
Cons:One of the 32 bass buttons (minor chords row) some times sounds right, some other times sounds like a mix of the minor and major chord ...
The overall tuning of the bass side, as far as my ears can judge, it is not as accurate as the tuning of the piano keys, however it is generally quite acceptable.
As far as I can judge after two days, no other problems. Ah, I forgot: the bass side sounds slightly less loud than the treble side, which I find good t because it creates a good balance between melody and chords.
In all honesty, I am not sure that I should pretend much more from a $ 240.00 accordion. Perhaps the quality of Chinese accordions has improved, perhaps I have been just lucky with the quality control lottery and got a decent one. Perhaps...the accordion will fall apart in a few months ! I will keep you posted.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 06:44:34 PM by gerardo1000 »

Christopher K.

• Content Manager

It's good that you're satisfied with it, although I can't agree that it's any indication of improved quality. Sounds like the same story to me. Chords should always play in tune the same way and the bass side should always be in tune with the treble side. Maybe that's being too picky? The Chinese and their American distributors don't seem to think it's a problem. After my experience/experiment with buying a Panther, I'll be steering clear of new Chinese accordions without first having a dealer tune it!  ;D ;D ;D

ceemonster

• Regular debater
Re: Review of a new Chinese Yingjie piano accordion...
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 07:13:29 AM »

i dunno, given accordion prices these days, if the thing is responsive and has a powerful sound, i think that's a good price. 

so how much does a 32-bass weigh?

gerardo1000

Re: Review of a new Chinese Yingjie piano accordion...
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 06:41:41 PM »

The weight is 13 lbs. Very light.
Regarding the issue with the bass button, I discovered that the internal mechanism of that button (a minor chord button) was engaging with the mechanism of the adjacent major chord button, so the two buttons were sounding at the same time with an unpleasant out of tune dissonance. I opened the bass cover and put some W40 and so far the problem seems to be solved. But, now that I have looked inside the accordion... I understand why its price is so low. The mechanisms look very cheap and fragile... well, for now it's sounding nice, but I am not sure it will last long !
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.