Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Workshop (Foam) Update  (Read 8284 times)

Peter Stormy Hyde

• Regular debater
    • Hyde Accordions
Re: Workshop (Foam) Update
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2011, 10:19:35 AM »

I finally got there with a DVD of a single voice box, here is the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBrOngKgZjA

Sounds great! I'd like to hear more in the upper octaves!
Thanks for that, I will have a look to see what I have on the original tape, as it is now out of my hands, and into someone else's.
Peter
"Locally Made; Globally Played". Truly custom made melodeons. your total needs are met in the construction of your personalized instrument. People with physical disabilities are catered for as far as possible.

Peter Stormy Hyde

• Regular debater
    • Hyde Accordions
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2011, 10:28:34 AM »

I think the good old "Mosquito" of WW11 fame proves how good sandwiching is.
Peter
[/quote]

Just one warning to anybody who is tempted to use it, I'm haveing a hell of a time getting the glue to dry in the cold weather we are having here, I have to leave parts under presses for a lot longer.
Save it for the summer or a well heated workshop.
Peter 
"Locally Made; Globally Played". Truly custom made melodeons. your total needs are met in the construction of your personalized instrument. People with physical disabilities are catered for as far as possible.

blafleur

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2011, 01:10:52 PM »

What kind of glue are you using Peter? I am trying a form of the sandwich idea on one I'm building now (kinda by accident), though not with foam.  Been following your trials and tribulations with great interest.

Talking about cold weather right now sounds very cruel to those of us enjoying 105 (40 C?) degree weather  here in Texas.  My shop seems a bit hostile by mid afternoon. 

Peter Stormy Hyde

• Regular debater
    • Hyde Accordions
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2011, 02:59:40 AM »

What kind of glue are you using Peter? I am trying a form of the sandwich idea on one I'm building now (kinda by accident), though not with foam.  Been following your trials and tribulations with great interest.

Talking about cold weather right now sounds very cruel to those of us enjoying 105 (40 C?) degree weather  here in Texas.  My shop seems a bit hostile by mid afternoon. 

I'm glad I have been of a little help.
I started by using Elmer's yellow glue when I first started making instruments, that was made in the USA but they stopped importing it (is it still made in the US?), so I then changed over to Syntac AV180 that has now been taken over by Bostic and they still call it AV180. I use this yellow glue in all applications as it has a very fast tack time, so fast that in warmer weather I can take out a veneered end plate from under the book press within 20 minutes or so. The only place this glue has let me down is when I'm gluing Huon Pine because of the high resin content, I then use Selleys PVA, but this is very slow drying in comparison.

It was down to 4 Deg C in my dirty workshop on Friday, Just as well I had got the spraying done earlier in the week, otherwise it would never had dried.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal