Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: ABCEdit by Joop Coolegem  (Read 14523 times)

nemethmik

ABCEdit by Joop Coolegem
« on: June 13, 2011, 05:57:30 AM »

While browsing the tunes on http://www.diatonia.net/home.html I found a link to ABCEdit (
http://members.quicknet.nl/j.coolegem/abcedit/intro.html ) what I found was a smart ABC editor for melodeons that supports automated tablature (button numbers with push pull directions) calculation based on the chords.
A number of melodeon (DG, CF, GC, with or without button-5 reversals) and concertina systems are included in the installation package, but you can define any systems. I created a Club system layout for my 7-accidental Hohner Victoria in 10 minutes, and ABCEdit worked great.
After the notes of the tune are entered, the chords should be defined, and ABCEdit automatically displays the button numbers and push-pull directions. And, it is done in real-time in an interactive way: when you change the chord for a bar or note, ABCEdit immediately recalculates the button numbers and updates the display.
I am in the process of learning how to include actual fingering hints (index, middle, ring, etc). Do you have any recommendation how to do that with ABCEdit?

Gandy

• Respected Sage
Re: ABCEdit by Joop Coolegem
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 01:00:06 PM »

Thanks for that, I wish I could help with your fingering question. 
Tony S

Simon

• Respected Sage
  • Serenellini Selli C/F and Gold98 G/C
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 01:11:11 PM »

I am in the process of learning how to include actual fingering hints (index, middle, ring, etc). Do you have any recommendation how to do that with ABCEdit?
I guess ABCEdit is built around the standard implementation abcm2ps, so you could try !0! through !5! which are the standard fingering symbols. If that doesn't work or you prefer the 'pimar' notation you can use text annotation, which is similar to chord symbols but with a modifier to choose the text location. With '^' you get text above the note, so e.g. "^i" will put an 'i' above the note.

nemethmik

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 02:59:45 PM »

I guess ABCEdit is built around the standard implementation abcm2ps, so you could try !0! through !5! which are the standard fingering symbols.
This works great, thank you! I could recommend a number of improvements in ABCEdit, but what it does is unique: automatically calculates the button numbers. The concept is straightforward and great. I can even use ABCEdit as a learning tool for a new tune:
Step 1: Enter chords or use ABCEdit's built in chord generator.
Step 2: Pick a melodeon system, the button numbers and push-pull directions are displayed immediately.
Step 3: Play the tune using the recommended fingering and change the bellows direction with the special "X" chord for some notes.
Step 4: Add fingering hints with !0! through !5! where needed
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 03:30:00 PM by Miklos Nemeth »

docEdock

• Respected Sage
  • Hohners, Gaillards, Castagnaris
    • LoafingAboard
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 12:50:15 PM »

Has anyone been able to obtain an ABCedit license code recently? If so, how long between sending the email and receiving the reply? I emailed a request using this link on his page: "For questions send  mailto:abcedit at quicknet dot nl". The email address composed properly and the email did not bounce back but I've received no reply in two days.
How difficult can it be?
http://loafingaboard.blogspot.com/

nemethmik

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 01:51:28 PM »

Has anyone been able to obtain an ABCedit license code recently?
When I requested my license last month, I received in two hours. I reported a couple of wishes (for example the R1 and R2 technical "chords") to make tablature notation for diatonic accordions simpler and Mr Coolegem programmed them in a couple of days. He is a very nice person and made a great job.

docEdock

• Respected Sage
    • LoafingAboard
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 06:43:43 PM »

Good to hear that he responds so promptly. Perhaps vacation or the like has intervened. I will wait a bit before I try again.
How difficult can it be?

docEdock

• Respected Sage
    • LoafingAboard
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 01:16:11 AM »

I believe that it is at no charge, per his web site.
How difficult can it be?

docEdock

• Respected Sage
    • LoafingAboard
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 12:21:26 PM »

I received an email with the license code so no worries there. Now I'm pondering how to align my box(s) with the GCTrekzak, which Google translates as squeezebox.

. . . I reported a couple of wishes (for example the R1 and R2 technical "chords") . . .

Miklos, would you please elaborate on the R1 and R2 technical "chords"? I suspect they ares related to the TrekzakR5 entry on the Options: Set the instrument finger settings page but would appreciate a hint.

I also notice that the Help menu seems to have vanished in the unlocked version. [Edit: In the unlocked version the Select a Title window lacks the full menu. After you select a title the full menu, which includes Help, appears.]

Anyone know of an updated Help .pdf that matches the current version?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 01:18:11 PM by docEdoc »
How difficult can it be?

nemethmik

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 12:41:06 PM »

Miklos, would you please elaborate on the R1 and R2 technical "chords"? I suspect they ares related to the TrekzakR5 entry on the Options: Set the instrument finger settings page but would appreciate a hint.
When you set an instrument with the Finger Setting menu (I use the Standard), if a note is available on both rows in the same direction (push (P), pull (T)), the numbers of both keys/buttons are displayed separated by a comma. If you have a preference of which row to use, you can write the technical chords "R1" or "R2" in the ABC text. ABCEdit automatically determines the bellows direction (push, pull) based on the accompaniment chords. If a chord is available for both directions (for example G is on a G/C), then ABCEdit may select a direction that you do not like, and then you can use the "P" push or "T" pull to force ABCEdit to use the direction.
There are a couple of other technical chords that are instructions for ABCEdit for controlling finger setting display.
You can ask questions from Joop, he is a very nice guy and understands diatonic accordions very well.

docEdock

• Respected Sage
    • LoafingAboard
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 01:07:11 PM »

Miklos, thanks for the explanation and the suggestion to contact Joop. I'm learning ABC syntax as I go, so some of my puzzles are probably ABC itself while others involve Joop's implementation of ABCEdit.  It is a snazzy program and I'm looking forward to being able to generate chords and fingering with a lot less effort than trying to type it into Notation Composer or the like.
Doc
How difficult can it be?

nemethmik

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 01:22:24 PM »

I'm looking forward to being able to generate chords and fingering with a lot less effort than trying to type it into Notation Composer or the like.
ABCEdit is excellent in tablature making. ABCEdit nicely prints the number of buttons to press, but it cannot do "artificial intelligence" (AI), that is, it cannot invent which finger to use to press the buttons, the actual finger numbers you have to figure out and enter manually using the !1!, !2! !3! !4! directives.

docEdock

• Respected Sage
    • LoafingAboard
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 04:14:40 PM »

the actual finger numbers you have to figure out and enter manually using the !1!, !2! !3! !4! directives.
Ah, yes. I was confusing how it generates button numbers and allows you to enter fingering. Thanks for clearing that up.

After messing with the program a bit and I reread your posts and things are beginning to fall in place. Here's a really basic question: does the apostrophe in 9,8' signify a push or a pull? Is it push 9 or pull 8, or the other way around? If this is documented in the program please point me there and I'll read some more.
How difficult can it be?

nemethmik

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 04:35:25 PM »

does the apostrophe in 9,8' signify a push or a pull?
If you selected the "finger settings instrument Standard" then the numbers above the line are for push, below are pull.
9 means 9th button in the outermost row, 8' is the 8th button in the inner row. If you applied a 2.5 or 3 row instrument, 7'' would mean 7th button in the innermost row.
9,8' together means that the note can be played either with pressing the 9th on the outermost or the 8th on the inner row.
HTH

docEdock

• Respected Sage
    • LoafingAboard
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 12:12:06 AM »

Well your answer turned my thinking on its head. Now it makes sense. Bravo.

I see that it resembles the tablature in Yann Dour's books, though he puts the chords below the music line. Is there a name for this type of diatonic tablature? I have a feeling the answer might be "Standard" Trekzak but thought I would ask. As I recall Dour doesn't give it a name.
How difficult can it be?

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2011, 09:26:45 AM »

Got very interested but this link http://members.quicknet.nl/j.coolegem/abcedit/intro.html now seems to be broken.  Tried searching Google but no joy.  Any ideas ?
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2011, 11:25:06 AM »

It just worked OK for me.

I sent off the email for registration yesterday (sat) and had a key in my inbox this morning.

Malcolm
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2011, 10:00:20 PM »

Got very interested but this link http://members.quicknet.nl/j.coolegem/abcedit/intro.html now seems to be broken.  Tried searching Google but no joy.  Any ideas ?

None at all. It was working the other day, I downloaded the software. Perhaps the server is down, give it a day or so and try again.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2011, 10:18:19 PM »

Just a thought - perhaps the sudden interest has exceeded the number of hits Joop's site is allowed in a month. In which case try again in a week or so!
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Lyn

• Respected Sage
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2011, 11:07:00 PM »

I tried several links - the last one said the site had expired. What a shame - this looks just what I need!
saltarelle nuage DG

Castagnari Mory DG
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal