Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Loose bellows?  (Read 2220 times)

Ellie

• Saltarelle Pastourelle II
    • Rose Hips Bellydance
Loose bellows?
« on: June 03, 2011, 12:00:08 PM »

Hi all,

My box is a couple (3 ish) of years old now, has never had anything done (at least, not while I've owned it), and has been played quite hard (especially before I bought it). Have been noticing that the bellows seem really loose, so much so that it seems to be affecting how I play now (if I just leave the bellows to droop they're at full stretch in a matter of seconds). I presume this is to do with air-tightness where the bellows meet the box, as I can't see anything obviously wrong with the bellows. Is it easy to fix? Can I do it myself, or do I need to post it off to an expert?

(This is probably common knowledge, but if so, it's common knowledge I don't possess...yet!).

Cheers  (:)

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
Re: Loose bellows?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 12:10:45 PM »

Hi Ellie,
Has this happened since you put new bass board on,I would check if the air is leaking past air valve,if so try bending the wire connecting rod a bit,it may just be out of adjustment.
Pete
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

Ellie

• Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 12:14:18 PM »

That's possible, though they have been getting steadily looser for some time now. Will double check that tonight.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 12:25:06 PM »

Will you be at Knowl Hill this month if so I can have a look fo you?

Ellie

• Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 02:06:18 PM »

Intending to be  (:) (especially if an almost expert opinion is on offer!)  ;D

Graham Collicutt

• Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 02:24:42 PM »

Check to see you haven't lost a bellows pin.

Graham

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 02:58:48 PM »

Try timing your bellows to go to fully open under gravity, that should give you a benchmark. There are lots of places where a box can leak, gaskets, pallets, diamonds, even the strap screws or the joints in the wood. No idea how you find out which mind :P They can be notoriously difficult to pin down.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 03:06:52 PM »

There are lots of places where a box can leak, gaskets, pallets, diamonds, even the strap screws or the joints in the wood. No idea how you find out which mind :P They can be notoriously difficult to pin down.

Good list!

Tools to track down leaks:

1 - feeling the air escaping with a sensitive part of the anatomy, eg palm of hand, or moist lips (yes really!)
2 - listen with ear up close to the suspected leak
3 - dust the suspect area with powdered talc
4 - listen with a stethoscope

the last two are particularly useful for identifying leaky pallets.

if so try bending the wire connecting rod a bit,it may just be out of adjustment.

I would not recommend doing this unless you can detect air leaking from here, otherwise you may create a new leak.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 05:16:06 PM »

1 - feeling the air escaping with a sensitive part of the anatomy, eg palm of hand, or moist lips (yes really!)
2 - listen with ear up close to the suspected leak
3 - dust the suspect area with powdered talc
4 - listen with a stethoscope

I hadn't come across the last two, good tip! So a stethoscope is another one for the list of "Things that are useful for melodeon repair that you wouldn't expect"
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Ellie

• Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 11:36:51 PM »

Many thanks to Lester for sorting this out for me tonight  (:) Seems it was the air button/valve that needed adjusting. Box is now a pleasure to play again  ;D :|||:

blafleur

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 01:33:24 AM »

In addition to Theo's list, I've been using a flashlight in a dark closet, taking one side off then shining the light up the other side, then switching.  It's become my favorite method of chasing leaks, especially pallet leaks.  Wife is a bit worried seeing me come out of the closet with an accordion, though.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 08:25:33 AM »

The button mechanism which is part of the bass end plate on Ellie's Salterelle was binding very slightly when it was not pressed which caused the pallet to be very slightly open all the time. Just a matter of a small trim of the button with Terry's trusty swiss army knife was all that was needed to sorted it out :)

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 09:04:03 AM »

Hi Lester
I made the new end plate for that box,used a rivet normally used on leather to fix the button,had it just moved slightly.The rivet was the same as original.
Could it do with another tap with a hammer to tighten it.

Pete
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 09:10:17 AM »

Hi Lester
I made the new end plate for that box,used a rivet normally used on leather to fix the button,had it just moved slightly.The rivet was the same as original.
Could it do with another tap with a hammer to tighten it.

Pete

Pete,

The non-hinge end of the hole the button goes through was just very slightly tight on the button, all I did was scrape the varnish off the button where it was binding and this cured it so it was just the matter of the thickness of a coat of varnish.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal