Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Traditional Music Day, Stowmarket, 30th August 2008  (Read 14459 times)

Mike Gott

• Respected Sage
  • Melodeon and hairy arm
Re: Traditional Music Day, Stowmarket, 30th August 2008
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2008, 02:28:28 PM »

Oh no,  help!!  where can I get a C box quick????
 :o :o :o :o
Lin

I suppose theres always the option of a C harmonica? I was thinking after the advice (thanks) of taking my G and C 1-rows with a D harmonica - two melodeons is enough luggage. Anyway Lin - if you know it and I don't and it's in C you can play my 1-row.

Mike
"Traditional music was for entertainment, it wasn't for a further education class" (Bob Davenport)

Rivington Morris, Bolton, Lancashire.

Lin Leighton

• Regular debater
  • Castagnari Tommy/ Dino Baffetti BP
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2008, 03:03:14 PM »

ahhhhhhhhhh  thanks Mike.  Im not sure I will make the friday night session as we cant start the four hour drive until after hubby has finished work at 6.00 pm.  but thanks for the offer  :)
Lin
Lin(Rattlejag Morris)

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2008, 12:02:12 AM »

What's the real programme then ?  It's billed as a one day event (Sunday) but Friday night session is well mentioned, (the pub, which pub, I lived in Stowmarket, there are a lot of them) then what happens on Saturday ?  Rees, you're there for the weekend; presumably there is more than the official programme ?  Is it all a secret ?  Do I have to roll up a trouser leg ?
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2008, 12:22:44 AM »

What's the real programme then ?  It's billed as a one day event (Sunday) but Friday night session is well mentioned, (the pub, which pub, I lived in Stowmarket, there are a lot of them) then what happens on Saturday ?  Rees, you're there for the weekend; presumably there is more than the official programme ?  Is it all a secret ?  Do I have to roll up a trouser leg ?
The TMD is on Saturday 30th August. That's when it all happens. It's just a one-day event; nothing on Sunday.
http://www.eatmt.org.uk/traditional_music_day.htm#Traditional%20Music%20Day%202008
http://www.eatmt.org.uk/tmd_timetable_08.htm

There is usually a Friday night session in the Royal William but it's not publicised as part of the TMD, as the session room in the pub is tiny and it tends to be just local musicians and invited TMD guests. Often a lot of tunes in C.

The all-day session on the Saturday is, of course, open to all and will mostly be D/G friendly, although C is not ruled out by any means. Additionally, on the Saturday, there are often impromptu sessions which spring up in odd places here and there - the Museum site is huge and there is plenty of room for this sort of thing, especially if the weather is nice enough to allow outdoor playing. So if you are looking to start a session in E-flat, now's your chance. 

The buffet supper and evening concert have long been sold out!

« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 12:44:45 AM by Steve_freereeder »
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2008, 07:27:12 PM »

Thanks for that Steve.  Sorry I mis-read the day/date.  C no bother.  TMD guest I'm not.  May or may not make it.  It's long walk from Dorset.
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

triskel

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2008, 10:24:33 PM »

I have been told never to enter Suffolk without a C box so be warned!
You remind me of some instruments I bought off eBay a few years ago, that had belonged to the late Cyril Stannard, from East Suffolk, who had single-row C's, and double-row G/C, C/F, C/C# and B/C boxes (though he also had a "new-fangled", seemingly unused, D/G), but it was always the C-row that had got all the playing!  ::)

In fact it used to be very common to play in C where free reed instruments were involved, and still happens occasionally here in Ireland, fiddle players having to simply tune down a tone to play in C (using D fingering), just as they commonly do in Cajun music.

Mike Gott

• Respected Sage
  • Melodeon and hairy arm
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2008, 10:55:48 AM »

http://www.eatmt.org.uk/traditional_music_day.htm#Traditional%20Music%20Day%202008

There is usually a Friday night session in the Royal William but it's not publicised as part of the TMD, as the session room in the pub is tiny and it tends to be just local musicians and invited TMD guests.

In that case I won't bother. I'm glad you posted that as it would have been pretty disappointing to come all the way from Lancashire to be refused entry! A local session for local people, eh? It all sounds a incestuous to me.....

Mike
"Traditional music was for entertainment, it wasn't for a further education class" (Bob Davenport)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2008, 11:43:33 AM »

There is usually a Friday night session in the Royal William but it's not publicised as part of the TMD, as the session room in the pub is tiny and it tends to be just local musicians and invited TMD guests.

In that case I won't bother. I'm glad you posted that as it would have been pretty disappointing to come all the way from Lancashire to be refused entry! A local session for local people, eh? It all sounds a incestuous to me.....

Mike
Mike - pleased don't think you won't be allowed in. Sorry if I gave that impression. The session is not a closed, 'exclusive' one; it's open to anyone, but just not generally advertised. As I did say, the room is too small to accommodate a lot of musicians.

Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2008, 12:09:04 PM »

It is a very small pub. Last year at least half of the people were outside in the garden or the street which is OK if the weather is fine but...........
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Mike Gott

• Respected Sage
  • Melodeon and hairy arm
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2008, 05:18:37 PM »

Steve and Rees - thanks for clarifying the situation. I'm down in Suffolk Fri/Sat morning anyway, so I'll maybe put my C in the car and see how it goes. Have a good 'un anyway, whether I get there or not.

Mike

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2008, 12:45:27 AM »

Hope you can make it.

The actual event on the Saturday daytime is well worth staying for. All sorts of activities going on around the museum site plus an all day session in the barn culminating in the step-dance spectacular. Spectacular it is too, with more and more travellers turning up to give a step plus Tommy Orchard from Exmoor and Simon Ritchie (both superb showmen and stepdance supremos), Jason Rice from Dartmoor, Kerry Fletcher, Cyril Barber, Lenny Whiting and maybe a step from Veteran records John Howson himself.

Theo, Steve, Dave Jolly, Katie Howson, Dan Quinn, Roger Grimes and me all pumping up the volume. What larks!
www.melodeons.com

theSmoiler

• Respected Sage
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2008, 04:57:31 PM »

Theo, Steve, Dave Jolly, Katie Howson, Dan Quinn, Roger Grimes and me all pumping up the volume. What larks!

See you all there, as usual.

Diane (loud melodeon...).

PS Don't usually see Theo at EATMTD...are you sure he's there?

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2008, 05:35:35 PM »

No, wish I was though! Its just a bit far for a day out.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

triskel

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2008, 06:52:09 PM »

Diane (loud melodeon...).

PS Don't usually see Theo at EATMTD...are you sure he's there?

And here's me, coming across from Ireland in the hope meeting him...  :(

Stephen (even louder 6-voice melodeon  ;))

Hope to see the rest of you there anyway!  ;D

triskel

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2008, 01:40:46 AM »

Stephen (even louder 6-voice melodeon  ;))

Change of plan, the Baldoni is a bit big for my Ryanair-allowance hand-luggage, so I'm bringing my 4-stopper instead. Those Binci reeds are still pretty loud though.  ::)

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2008, 11:06:12 AM »

Right, I've just packed the van so I'll see you all in the Royal William tonight for the start of a jolly weekend.

Then, off to Castelfidardo for a pizza on Tuesday. Yum!
While I'm there I'll see what explanation Signor Castagnari has for his recent tardiness. I expect I'll get the usual shrug of the shoulders.
www.melodeons.com

Mike Gott

• Respected Sage
  • Melodeon and hairy arm
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2008, 06:07:05 PM »

Hope you can make it.

If only. We were in North Norfolk on the Wednesday and Thursday and our Ford's water pump packed up on Thursday afternoon so instead of coming down to Stowmarket we were left in Sheringham while the car got fixed - so I never got to fill 'me 4-stop's bellows with Suffolk air. Hopefully there will be another do next year and we'll plan to come down for the whole thing this time.

Mike

Lin Leighton

• Regular debater
  • Castagnari Tommy/ Dino Baffetti BP
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2008, 06:24:26 PM »

sorry about that Mike - No wonder I couldnt see you anywhere no matter how much I looked!!
shall I rub it in and say you missed a very good day??  no?? Ok it was terrible  :D
Lin
Lin(Rattlejag Morris)

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal