Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Installing straps on Erica  (Read 4004 times)

Harp2

• Good talker
Installing straps on Erica
« on: July 28, 2008, 09:16:45 PM »

I would like to put some straps on my Erica but there are no brackets and i don't know....
1. Where the best spot to install them is???
2. Where to get some in the US..
3. Is there something from the hardware store that looks decent??
If you know of any photos of placement spots I sure would appreciate seeing some.
Thanks
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 09:49:54 PM by Harp2 »

Matthew B

Re: Installing straps on Erica
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 10:27:12 PM »

Welcome!,

Depending on where you're located various folks will be able to provide strap brackets.  The Button Box in Amherst, MA, listed and linked on the front page of this site under "Shops and Repairers" will sell you a standard pair, and give you some hints on placement and installation (don't drill big holes, use an awl to make a little pilot hole, be gentle with the screws . . . and so on).  D rings on little hanger straps are used by some folks --- available from your local hardware store --- but unless you put in an extra screw, they tend to work loose over time, and they only work for a single strap, not a pair. 

And when the job is finished, you'll look at it and realize how you should have done it. 
Charter Member Presumpscot and Fore River Accordion Club

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 03:04:49 PM »

I got a set of straps and brackets from Bernard Loffet (the overseas postage is very reasonable) to put on my Corona II, which originally had only 1 strap:
http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=360060830563

I like simple straps but he also has padded models:
http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230260808601

If you buy both you save on the postage as he will put everything in one big envelope. He speaks English.

Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F and G/C,
Hohner Erica A/D, Roland FR-18

Dennis Steckley

• Good talker
  • Club System!
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 05:02:40 AM »

Finally got around to installing some new barely used Hohner straps on my Victoria Club II.  One end has a snap which was a bit too thick to slide through the bracket, so I had to gently pry the bracket up a bit.  Got 'em on and I am very pleased!
Dennis S.
Hohner Victoria Club ii, Hohner Club III M, Hohner Liliput, Hohner Preciosa, Hohner Piccoletta, Hohner Overture LMMM (and three PA's, including one that is the same size as a Preciosa)

richard.fleming

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 10:13:29 AM »

You can get strap brackets which bolt through the case with small nuts inside - a much stronger fixing. The normal cheap fixing brackets can suffer from the small screws coming loose and from the brazing that holds the two parts together breaking, whereas with the type I'm recommending the bracket is essentially one piece held by the two screws.
Old Paolo Sopranis in C#/D and D/D#

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 10:18:42 AM »

You can get strap brackets which bolt through the case with small nuts inside - a much stronger fixing. The normal cheap fixing brackets can suffer from the small screws coming loose and from the brazing that holds the two parts together breaking, whereas with the type I'm recommending the bracket is essentially one piece held by the two screws.

If you are playing the box so hard that you can break brazed joints you are doing something wrong   :o

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 10:39:47 AM »

Finally got around to installing some new barely used Hohner straps on my Victoria Club II.  One end has a snap which was a bit too thick to slide through the bracket, so I had to gently pry the bracket up a bit.  Got 'em on and I am very pleased!
Dennis S.
If by "snap" you mean a spring clip. like they have on dog leads and the like, I heartily recommend ditching it. I have bought a couple of boxes at auction which have had these fitted, and the damage they can do to the body of the box is just scary.

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 12:03:34 PM »

If you are playing the box so hard that you can break brazed joints you are doing something wrong   :o

Guilty as charged your honour...bracket on my Salty 1 Row has just sheared after 29 years... :(
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2020, 12:05:58 PM »

Guilty as charged your honour...bracket on my Salty 1 Row has just sheared after 29 years... :(
What you are doing wrong is being really old  :D

richard.fleming

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2020, 12:10:49 PM »

Most players pick up their boxes by grabbing the shoulder strap somewhere near the bracket. The whole weight can then be on two very small short screws. If you have ever heard the sound of a box dropping from a few feet onto the floor you won't forget it. It's nothing to do with rough playing, more about looking after your box by installing well-designed fittings.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 12:14:16 PM by richard.fleming »
Old Paolo Sopranis in C#/D and D/D#

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2020, 12:27:09 PM »

The bolt through fittings can be more secure than the screw on type, but that's usually to do with insecure screws than fracture of the bracket.  I've repaired many examples of screw holes that have become enlarged leading to loose brackets, but it's not normally a problem if you look after your instrument. The heavier the box the more load is carried by the brackets which may explain why the bolt through type are common on piano accordions. 

Screw on brackets are easier to fit and normally perfectly satisfactory for lighter boxes.  Bolt through brackets need more space inside for the nuts to be fitted, and in particular they need enough space away from the various bits of wood fitted inside for reinforcing or to retain reed blocks and to form curved corners etc.  Bolt through types can also be problematic if the nuts come loose leading to air leaks, or in extreme cases the same result as a broken screw on bracket.

It's horses for courses.  Different types of brackets each have their uses.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2020, 02:11:51 PM »

Most players pick up their boxes by grabbing the shoulder strap somewhere near the bracket. The whole weight can then be on two very small short screws. If you have ever heard the sound of a box dropping from a few feet onto the floor you won't forget it. It's nothing to do with rough playing, more about looking after your box by installing well-designed fittings.
My teacher told me don’t pick up the box by its shoulder strap, good advice I’m sure.
To be honest though I haven’t been the best student here. I do tend to pick up both ends of the box normally but not always  :o
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2020, 02:25:22 PM »

But if you play with two straps (I know many don’t) or if you play standing up then the whole weight of the box is carried by the strap brackets.  I think the advice about not picking up by the straps is more to do with avoiding the bellows extending and (if the straps aren’t closed) and the left end swinging around out of control.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2020, 04:28:36 PM »

Dennis S.
If by "snap" you mean a spring clip. like they have on dog leads and the like, I heartily recommend ditching it. I have bought a couple of boxes at auction which have had these fitted, and the damage they can do to the body of the box is just scary.

Sir John
Yes, I totally agree with what Sir J said. Those dog-clip spring snap style clips are really rigid, even the plastic ones, and can dig into the wooden casework of the instrument as quick as winking, leaving unsightly dents and bruising. Far better to use conventional leather straps, especially when combined with leather or fabric buckle protectors to prevent any scratching when being transported in a case.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2020, 04:43:45 PM »

But if you play with two straps (I know many don’t) or if you play standing up then the whole weight of the box is carried by the strap brackets.  I think the advice about not picking up by the straps is more to do with avoiding the bellows extending and (if the straps aren’t closed) and the left end swinging around out of control.
That’s a good point Theo, I would agree, with a good thread bite on the wood it should be fine up to a certain weight.
There’s not a lot of wood for the threads and one should (if possible) make sure the point of the screw pierces though the wood, no holding power in the point of screw.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2020, 04:52:17 PM »

I think this is a concern over not very much.   I've repaired too many instruments that have suffered accidental damage, none of them caused by strap bracket failure.  More often an excess of strong drink!
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2020, 03:05:04 PM »

Nice brackets at good price from Bossetto in TX.  Narrow Italcinte straps from Button Box.
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Dennis Steckley

• Good talker
  • Club System!
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2020, 05:01:14 AM »

No, "Sir John," not "snaps" as in "clips."  Maybe snaps has a different connotation on your side of a pond.........I mean the kind of snaps like those which hold the bellows closed or as might be found up the front of a jacket or the like.
Dennis S.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 05:16:27 AM by Dennis Steckley »
Hohner Victoria Club ii, Hohner Club III M, Hohner Liliput, Hohner Preciosa, Hohner Piccoletta, Hohner Overture LMMM (and three PA's, including one that is the same size as a Preciosa)

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2020, 05:51:39 AM »

Sounds like a press stud?
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2020, 01:29:17 PM »

On Ericas/Pokerworks the screw brackets are fine. I have the 3-screw brackets on by Pokerwork over 35 years of abuse now and not even loose. Always pick up and carry box by the straps. Never a prob. 
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal