Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone played Weltmeister boxes?  (Read 10651 times)

2rightfeet

• Good talker
Anyone played Weltmeister boxes?
« on: July 29, 2008, 06:09:25 PM »

Looking idly around for another box in different keys from my Saltarelle D/G, I found this German shop on ebay:
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/music-butik

flipper

Re: Anyone played Weltmeister boxes?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 02:12:10 AM »

Sue,
Dino Baffetti D/G, Weltmiester B/C

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 07:43:47 AM »

I play a C/F Weltmeister with three stops.  I had it built in Maple which I feel gives a warmer tone.  The action is great, the reeds don't speak as fast as my Castagnari.  The build quality is excellent.  The factory will also make to you specified keyboard map.  I got mine through Mr Allodi at Allodi accordions.  See suppliers on this web site.  He is absolutely first class.  Can't help on the quality or provenance of the boxes on Ebay but usually if it's too cheap it's for a very good reason.

Martin
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

2rightfeet

• Good talker
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 10:10:42 AM »

Thanks for the comments. I came to the same conclusion as No Strings Attached: I will buy something dirt cheap if I understand why it is dirt cheap, but here I don't, so it seems a bit risky. In any case, I'm in no great rush to buy another box; really need more time to play the one I've got.
If Weltmeister will manufacture to my keyboard map, then it becomes more interesting to look at the full-price models anyway.

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 10:32:32 AM »

If you do decide to specify your own box from Weltmiester do feel free to contact me.  My box doesn't even appear on their web site.  It is Polkawork size with three treble reeds in D/G going down to bottom D and bottom G, no accidentals.  It sounds great.

I also have a Weltmiester continental chromatic and my wife has one of their piano accordeons.  All excellent value.

Martin
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

Steve

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 01:53:49 PM »

Up until fairly recently I had a D/G Weltmeister box which in fact was one of the boxes which got me started. It was pretty punchy and wet tuned and I really only passed it on as after a while the position of the air button in relation to the basses would make my hand ache.

Our friend Ray Hubbard often uses a similar instrument when he entertains as witnessed in this video I found on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwmNxlC6a9E&feature=related (the six year old step-dancer he talks about is my daughter).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 11:09:18 AM by Steve »

C age ing

• Respected Sage
  • New fangled melodeon?
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 04:15:31 PM »

Had an 86W for a period after a part exchange deal with Emilio Allodi, as a result of the Morris side refusing to let me play a small piano accordion.
Black and gold, like the Pokerwerk but with many thoughtful finishing touches. The Bellow straps had a neat turned collar around the screw rather than the bare woodscrew of the Hohner amongst many other physical improvements. Felt that it was what the Pokerwerk should have become but you can't argue with tradition. Wish I'd have had it Theo'd.
Old Bill.
My Erika is as old as me. Luckily, it is not as decrepit.

mber

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 04:53:34 AM »

Welstmeister has picked up the quality Hohner dropped.
But there's nothing quite like old Hohner Pokerwork.
If Delicia (in it's current name) still making reeds for Weltmeister, as before for Hohner, the quality of reeds has dropped.
Weltmeister is not as loud, doesn't speak as easy, doesn't have the dynamics, doesn't have the character as pre-Chinese Hohners.
But it's pretty good, esp. for the price.
And you just can't compare it to Castagnari, it's like comparing modern jet to a WWII Spitfire.
And Castagnari is not the jorney's end. I think Hohner Clubs, like Gola and high end Overtures are better instruments, faster and easier to play, than Castagnaris'.

flipper

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2008, 01:31:52 AM »

at last someone else who doesn't rate castagonari boxs, I just don't like thier sound
Sue,
Dino Baffetti D/G, Weltmiester B/C

kenthorseman

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 09:07:59 PM »

HI ive got an older barcarole d/g box which im told is by weltmiester, its a lovely box, very similar t o pokerwork, im still learning and have an erica as well sound wise they are the same, but it has to be said inside the key box its no way up to the same quality,

Sebastian

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 05:48:34 PM »

Looking idly around for another box in different keys from my Saltarelle D/G, I found this German shop on ebay:
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/music-butik
They seem to be selling a pile of Weltmeister melodeons at prices way below what I have seen from UK sources.

butterfingers

• Good talker
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 04:53:54 AM »

Interestingly, the single row "Harmona" I have [made by Weltmeister I think] doesn't have the apparent loudness of the defunct Hohner single rows that I posess [4 bass buttons on the left hand-not 4-stops], but the tone is much warmer..more akin to the couple of "Club' boxes I own [old Hohners], and perhaps the issue of loudness is deceptive..the Hohners tend to 'bark', but in terms of real volume and tonality may come up short.. playing at home with the Harmona..sweet on the ears, and I think the sound travels more than one thinks. I do have to work a little harder on the upper register to squeeze the notes out [the bellows are great, an extra pleat compared to the Hohners, if only the reeds in the high end responded more quickly...] ..yeah, I think the Weltmeister stuff is pretty good, the reeds don't jump like old Hohners, but they're a great alternative if you can't afford the really expensive boxes.

finnhorse

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 06:18:46 AM »

I played a brand new 3-row Welt at a music shop recently.  Lots of projection, very nice tone, generally a nice box.  It responded very well, perhaps a liottle slower to speak than the Compadre next to it.  Compared to the new Hohners it was more expensive and sound-wise, it had considerably less projection and "edge."  If I had to choose one or the other that day, then I would have bought the Hohner.

I have a red celluloid 2-row Weltmeister in C/F, similar to this one:

It's in the closet, where it will stay for a while.  The pallets do not lift high enough to provide suitable volume or air movement, and the higher octaves of each treble row require far too much effort for far too little volume.  It is impossible to play quickly for this reason.  The buttons are rounded and glued to flat surfaces of the levers.  The basses (which do sound very deep and nice) cause the valve covers to buzz in chorus!  I can't figure out why they would do that.  As-is, basically unplayed and in like-new condition, it is totally unplayable and a project for another day.   

But having said this, I must remark that it is an almost totally airtight construction; the heavy duty bellows are practically a vacuum seal and the reedblocks are actually cemented to the frame.. aside from the lousy reeds and action, it seems to be a very sturdy box.  Compared to the new models, it is like a soapbox car compared to a brand new corvette, and I'd be excited to try a new two-row from Weltmeister. especially one of the wooden models which are very attractive.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 02:33:26 PM »

Our friend Ray Hubbard often uses a similar instrument when he entertains as witnessed in this video I found on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwmNxlC6a9E&feature=related (the six year old step-dancer he talks about is my daughter).

How nice to hear an East Anglian accent (is it Suffolk) over the net in faraway Montreal, thank you Steve!

Steve J (not born but brought up in Norfolk - long time agoo.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal