Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 35   Go Down

Author Topic: Roland fr18 diatonic accordion - user group  (Read 213136 times)

Huw

• Dino black pearl II / Saltarelle Nuage DG / FR-18
Re: Roland fr18 diatonic accordion - user group
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2011, 02:01:44 PM »

A use that I have found for 2 of the user sets is to have the same voice that I use most often in different tunings 1st set GCF, 2nd ADG quick way of changing between tunes, works well for me.

DaveW

• Regular debater
« Reply #101 on: October 05, 2011, 06:44:49 PM »

Huw

Can I ask if this is what you have done (I'm old and thick and have to be spoon fed):
Found a tablature - chosen a key - chosen a sound you like - chosen x,y,z settings for Orchestral this and that - saved it as a file UO1.USD (for instance)
Found the same tablature - Chosen a different key - used the rest of the settings as before(or different) and saved it as file UO2.USD (for instance)
The next day you want to play these settings, so you pick up t' box and call up user set UO1.USD and away you go, then for a key change call up UO2.USD.

There is a supplementary question to this - did you overwrite the wunderbar Set4.2 User Set2 (D Folk) -said to be Shand Marino settings? and if so can you get them back?

I feel like the grand inquisitor here, but by trying the system out it seems I might lose settings that are useful

Many thanks DaveW
DaveW

Paolo Soprani b/c/c#, V Soprani b/c, Hohner Compadre adg, Roland FR-18, Hohner Merlin d/g

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #102 on: October 05, 2011, 07:43:14 PM »

There is a supplementary question to this - did you overwrite the wunderbar Set4.2 User Set2 (D Folk) -said to be Shand Marino settings? and if so can you get them back?
Dave,

When I mentioned the German Folk (D Folk) set used in earlier Roland V-accordions, in a post back in June, I'm pretty sure I said it was understood to be based on the Hohner Morino. That would almost certainly be a Hohner Morino PA. Someone else subsequently transposed that to Shand Morino. I think that's extremely unlikely (Hohner don't mention it in their list of models). The good thing is that the sounds are very similar. The later Shand Morinos, such as mine, are essentially Hohner Morino PAs with diatonic reeds and button keyboards.
BTW, "Morino" (note sp.) comes from Venancio Morino, Hohner's chief accordion designer from 1930s to early 1950s. Models bearing his name are still made today.

Huw

• Dino black pearl II / Saltarelle Nuage DG / FR-18
« Reply #103 on: October 05, 2011, 08:18:11 PM »

Hi Dave,
Default tab 12 ie. ADG, choose melodeon sound you like and use most often, you can select bass you want to use and add percussion if you want, press user program key then press one of the treble register keys eg. no 1.
it will be steady red , you have now saved that to number 1 on your user sets. Press user button again and you are back to your chosen sound tab 12 ADG.  Now press Key button, then button 8/G you have now set the box to GCF, press user program key again save to treble botton 2 as you did for the first one. If you switch of the box when you switch it back on it will have returned by default to ADG. By pressing the user button 1 you will have the sound you saved stored, by pressing 2 you will have it saved in the other key switching from one to another is by switching between the two. It sounds more complicated than it is but I find it quite useful, hope this helps.

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #104 on: October 06, 2011, 12:54:22 AM »

Huw, you're a genius, that really does help.
Not that it's much use to me at the moment as the box is still in pieces on the bench.
Today, I have finally managed to get the new air button mechanism working. What a pain - photos to follow.
I'm currently waiting for the silicone sealer to set around all the air leaks that I have created.
This Roland thin black plastic is shite.
Please let me get back to working with cherry, walnut, yew, afrormosia, anything but feckin black plastic!!!
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Ray Langton

• Regular debater
    • Ray Langton Music
« Reply #105 on: October 07, 2011, 03:16:44 PM »

Just started to seriously work on producing new tablatures using Rolands tablature maker. The treble end is fine, but the bass end layout seems to be completely upisde down to me-has anyone changed the bass tablature and do you need to work it the way you think it should work i.e. as the picture shows the air button on the left the GCF bass layout shown is upside down in the original picture produced by the tablature maker, or does the tablature maker actually work the way round it shows producing the correct result on the machine even though it looks upside down?

DaveW

• Regular debater
« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2011, 08:59:01 PM »

Hi Dave,
Default tab 12 ie. ADG, choose melodeon sound you like and use most often, you can select bass you want to use and add percussion if you want, press user program key then press one of the treble register keys eg. no 1.
it will be steady red , you have now saved that to number 1 on your user sets. Press user button again and you are back to your chosen sound tab 12 ADG.  Now press Key button, then button 8/G you have now set the box to GCF, press user program key again save to treble botton 2 as you did for the first one. If you switch of the box when you switch it back on it will have returned by default to ADG. By pressing the user button 1 you will have the sound you saved stored, by pressing 2 you will have it saved in the other key switching from one to another is by switching between the two. It sounds more complicated than it is but I find it quite useful, hope this helps.

Huw Yes that is very helpful (although I have yet to try it) I was getting my knickers in a twist about saving things on memory sticks. Looking at the frenchman's video (Marisco was he?) he seems to be doing just as you describe  Many thanks for that DaveW
DaveW

Paolo Soprani b/c/c#, V Soprani b/c, Hohner Compadre adg, Roland FR-18, Hohner Merlin d/g

DaveW

• Regular debater
« Reply #107 on: October 07, 2011, 09:06:13 PM »

Just started to seriously work on producing new tablatures using Rolands tablature maker. The treble end is fine, but the bass end layout seems to be completely upisde down to me-

Ray I think it is OK once you stand on your head. Looking at the bass plot on the screen, the top right of the picture is the bottom of your left hand, with the topmost buttons those nearest the outside. The tag things that stick up on the diagram are the outside edge of the box. Imagine pulling the plot off the screen and holding it where you hold the bass (left hand side) of the melodeon, tabs sticking out.
Clear? As mud!
DaveW
DaveW

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #108 on: October 07, 2011, 09:15:59 PM »

The tags/tabs in the bass diagrams are the accordion's feet. That should help get the diagrams the right way round.

Ray Langton

• Regular debater
    • Ray Langton Music
« Reply #109 on: October 07, 2011, 10:08:31 PM »

Thanks for that-realised after a while that I was indeed being totally stupid. Having spent several hours thinking in G/C/F mode while building a number of different treble layouts when I looked at the bass I promptly slipped back into G/D/A thinking so of course it looked wrong! It is getting late and I should have stopped some time ago, but it is strangely addictive coming up with different layouts and being able to simply put them in place. Bass end is next now I know what the problem was. can't wait to load them up and try them out.

FREED

« Reply #110 on: October 09, 2011, 12:48:39 PM »

I have had a (red) FR18 for a couple of months now and its just great. No idea when I will have it setup and sounding right to play it in public yet! I use it with a Roland Cube Street (also red !) which is great and versatile - and both can be battery powered. One thing someone might help with is a recommendation for a wireless system so I can use it without the cable ??
Thanks,  Ken
Ken, Glos., UK.

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #111 on: October 09, 2011, 02:33:38 PM »

>
 One thing someone might help with is a recommendation for a wireless system so I can use it without the cable ??
>
I have used a T.Bone TWS 16PT  wireless system from Thomann with a Roland FR-3b (and also an acoustic accordion with built-in mics), and an older Audio-Technica 200-series wireless mic system. Both of these can be used with instrument or mic inputs, and both are mono systems. There has been a fair amount of discussion by users of larger Rolands (FR-7X) over on the Yahoo Roland group about the E-MU Pipeline stereo wireless system , but I have no personal knowledge of this system.

FREED

« Reply #112 on: October 10, 2011, 11:31:37 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions Bill. I will check the links out.
Ken
Ken, Glos., UK.

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #113 on: October 13, 2011, 06:50:35 PM »

My Roland is back in one piece and sounding good.
The new air valve works a treat.

Two pictures attached, four more to follow.
www.melodeons.com

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #114 on: October 13, 2011, 06:52:07 PM »

Two more air valve pics.
www.melodeons.com

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #115 on: October 13, 2011, 07:02:44 PM »

........ and the last two.

Not an easy job by any means but well worth the effort. I can actually play the thing now!

The thin black plastic is a nightmare to work with.
Also, I had to grind away some of the circuit board to accommodate the steel pivot base. I'd hate to short out the bass buttons!

Now then, I know that some of you FR-18 owners will be requiring the same modification. I have also been contacted by Roland and The Music Room
(Mr. Loomes, could you possibly show these pics to Mr. Turner and Mr. Banks. Ta, mate).

Before anyone asks the obvious question, the answer is no, no and no again. I've quite enough on my plate without bogging myself down with this can of worms. Nice little business opportunity here - any takers.  ::)

www.melodeons.com

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #116 on: October 13, 2011, 07:27:47 PM »

Hi Rees,
To complete the picture, do you have a photo of the Roland valve before modification?
And do I understand it correctly that you've replaced the Roland push-in air button with a pull-down one, like a Hohner Double Ray?

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #117 on: October 13, 2011, 07:43:56 PM »

Yes, Hohner style air button (my weapon of choice, but Italian style could also be made to work).

Sorry, I don't have a picture of the original but I can send you a bag full of useless plastic components :-)   
www.melodeons.com

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #118 on: October 13, 2011, 08:02:45 PM »

Rees,

Thanks. And . . . no thanks!   (:)

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #119 on: October 13, 2011, 08:42:29 PM »

One of these for sale on ebay £1100 atm...located in Runcorn UK

I'm almost tempted...
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 35   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal