Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35   Go Down

Author Topic: Roland fr18 diatonic accordion - user group  (Read 213112 times)

Arthur Marshall

Re: Roland fr18 diatonic accordion - user group
« Reply #620 on: November 29, 2016, 10:35:32 AM »

Last question, honest... do you know if there's a download somewhere of a tab layout for a standard Irish type B/C/C# layout?  I found one on here in an early thread but it uses a different bass button layout and the tab designer baffles me.

EricJamesWhite

• Good talker
« Reply #621 on: December 06, 2016, 06:58:21 PM »

I received some information from a friend of mine regarding a couple of new Sound Expansion downloads provided by Roland:

If you want to get your own copies of the Alpine and Orchestral sound expansions, which both contain their own files specific to the FR18D then you can download them from
Roland – FR-4x | V-Accordion https://www.roland.com/global/products/fr-4x/downloads/

German Hohner Pokerwork, Hohner Club 3M, Dino Baffetti Carnival 3, Sandpiper Curlew, Hohner Atlanta (Midi), Hyde Alchemist (Midi), Roland Fr-18 (Midi)

Joyce Stclair

« Reply #622 on: March 01, 2017, 09:41:23 PM »

Hi There, Have just got a Roland FR18, and have been reading Manual over and over!!!!
Have now got it up and playing, however CANNOT get it connected to my Ketron  AUDYA 4 module.
( I also have a Paolo Soprani with midi which I have no trouble  connecting and playing with Audya 4.Simple just plug it in.)

Are there any simple instructions as how to do it, Local music shop doesn't have a clue, have been asking everyone in England and Ireland that I know,  sent messages to Roland and Ketron etc no joy!!!!  What am I doing wrong? Would be very grateful for any help. or know anyone else I can ask ?

Cheers Koyce

howard mitchell

• Respected Sage
    • Howard Mitchell
« Reply #623 on: March 01, 2017, 09:59:15 PM »

Check that you're using a midi cable not a audio DIN cable and that it's connected from the fr18d to the MIDI IN on your arranger.

The default setting on the Fr18 is midi out but check this, page 50 in the manual.  I assume that the arranger will listen to midi channel 1 but you can change the channel assignments, see page 47, 48, 49.

The fr18 transmits bellows pressure as midi expression messages so you have to move the bellows to get any output.

Mitch

Saltarelle D/G, Hohner D/G, Hohner C/F, Dallape C/F, Hohner A/D, Gaillard G/C, Sagne D, Roland FR18D, Hohner Bb/Eb.

Joyce Stclair

« Reply #624 on: March 07, 2017, 06:59:29 AM »

Thank you very much  for the suggestion. I think I have tried everything,  but will have another  look now and try again . Cheers

JohnAndy

• Regular debater
  • John Barber
« Reply #625 on: March 12, 2017, 12:26:02 AM »

I now have an FR-18, bought recently from Pauline of this forum via the Buy and Sell area  (:)

I have quite a specific purpose in mind for this instrument - I want to use it as a tool for checking alternative keyboard layouts. I aim to set it up with alternative keyboard layouts and then see if that layout really works for the tunes that I like to play.

First step will be to configure it to something like the layout on my existing melodeon, then to try a simple change such as a Dutch reversal, then maybe some more wacky ideas that I have in mind!

Long term aim would be to decide on a layout that I prefer, get an ordinary acoustic melodeon made up to that layout, and then I would probably sell the Roland on.

Up to now I've got as far as working through the user manual and more or less figuring out how it's supposed to work. There are a couple of things that don't quite add up in that info, so my next step will be to read through this thread and try to pick up some of the accumulated wisdom - maybe that will provide answers to my doubts - if not, I'll ask!

Joyce Stclair

« Reply #626 on: May 11, 2017, 11:54:29 AM »

Still Struggling with FR18, Decided to ask if anyone knows anyone who can give face to classes.  I am willing to travel  but preferably either in East Anglia,or Kent or Sussex and of course willing to pay!!      Regards Joyce

EricJamesWhite

• Good talker
« Reply #627 on: November 09, 2017, 11:56:44 AM »

I have been playing around with the settings on my FR18 (again!). I have found that for the best feel representing a two row melodeon the settings are:
Reverb - off (item 12 page 44)
Chorus - off (item 14 page 44)
Bellows Curve - X-Light (item 16 page 45)

I had been having difficulty getting sufficient expression with the standard bellows curve and even with the Light setting, but with the X-Light its almost as good as my Oakwood  (:)
German Hohner Pokerwork, Hohner Club 3M, Dino Baffetti Carnival 3, Sandpiper Curlew, Hohner Atlanta (Midi), Hyde Alchemist (Midi), Roland Fr-18 (Midi)

Chris Brimley

« Reply #628 on: November 09, 2017, 12:52:26 PM »

Yes, I find the same, though it seems to me that the extra light setting is more what I would think of as 'medium'.

Do you have any thoughts on getting the air button to be more user-friendly?  I find it so stiff a spring, whatever settings you try and use, that it quickly becomes uncomfortable.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #629 on: November 09, 2017, 12:55:31 PM »

Yes, I find the same, though it seems to me that the extra light setting is more what I would think of as 'medium'.

Do you have any thoughts on getting the air button to be more user-friendly?  I find it so stiff a spring, whatever settings you try and use, that it quickly becomes uncomfortable.

Rees did some work when he had one

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,7311.msg100326.html#msg100326

EricJamesWhite

• Good talker
« Reply #630 on: January 04, 2019, 02:25:44 PM »

My new-look FR18. I took a photo of my Pokerwork grill to get a more realistic effect. I have also attached a Bose Soundlink to push out a fantastic sound from a fully portable midi melodeon.

With the settings I mentioned previously I have quite a realistic sound.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #631 on: January 04, 2019, 05:21:35 PM »

The Bose Soundlink is awesome. I use one with my iPod for general entertainment but also as monitor speaker for mobile recording, great sound.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

DaveW

• Regular debater
« Reply #632 on: November 02, 2019, 10:07:10 AM »

My new-look FR18. I took a photo of my Pokerwork grill to get a more realistic effect. I have also attached a Bose Soundlink to push out a fantastic sound from a fully portable midi melodeon.

With the settings I mentioned previously I have quite a realistic sound.
Eric, I have tried the Hive 2 speaker, good but with weak bass notes. Can I ask how you attach your speaker, I shy away from screws and as an old plastics technologist am conscious of the effect that glues might have on the Roland! Velcro was mentioned a while back, but I guess this was glued too.
BW David Webb
Ps love the poker work grill!
DaveW

Paolo Soprani b/c/c#, V Soprani b/c, Hohner Compadre adg, Roland FR-18, Hohner Merlin d/g

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #633 on: November 02, 2019, 12:47:04 PM »

FYI...the Velcro you can get in a roll (e.g. from Screwfix or similar) is powerfully sticky on the adhesive side and can bear a lot of weight.

EricJamesWhite

• Good talker
« Reply #634 on: November 02, 2019, 01:44:18 PM »

Hi Dave
As the Bose is quite heavy I used double sided tape. I have not tried to take the Bose off but would imagine it would not be without difficulty. If I am playing with an amp I take the whole clear plastic front off, using the two bolts, with the Bose attached. When I get round to it I will try to buy another clear plastic front but it doesn't look too bad without one  (:)

DaveW

• Regular debater
« Reply #635 on: November 02, 2019, 05:39:02 PM »

Thanks Eric.,
fr_18 is still fun isn't it?
I like the idea of a spare front. My banging on about glue is because the clear panel is probably polycarbonate. Thiis material has  poor solvent resistance. Self adhesive Velcro ( wonderful stuff) will have some sort of solvent in the adhesive, which is likely to craze the surface.of the clear panel.
Have you ever tried cleaning under the buttons? I get the feeling that contact is a bit poor on some buttons, maybe because of dust. I'm a timid soul, scared of damaging something when dismantling the precious fr- 18.

DaveW
DaveW

Paolo Soprani b/c/c#, V Soprani b/c, Hohner Compadre adg, Roland FR-18, Hohner Merlin d/g

EricJamesWhite

• Good talker
« Reply #636 on: November 04, 2019, 11:12:57 AM »

Hi Dave

Yes the FR18 is still great fun - I love it!

I'm afraid I can't help you with the buttons but I too would be a little nervous. We can't even buy a replacement FR18 now :(  I am not sure how the buttons work - switches (like Streb) or Hall effect sensors & magnets (Accordion Magic - Roy Whiteley)? I don't think I hear any clicking when I press buttons so I suspect it uses Hall sensors which are contactless and shouldn't require cleaning or adjusting.

Maybe someone else on here can help us with this?

Québécois

• Accordez-vous donc, c'est si beau, l'accordéon!
« Reply #637 on: November 20, 2019, 12:45:25 AM »

Can anyone tell me anything about tablatures 4 and 5?
Hohner Morgane D/G, pre-Erica Hohner in C/F and G/C,
Hohner Erica A/D, Roland FR-18

folkloristmark

• street entertainers
« Reply #638 on: November 20, 2019, 03:40:32 PM »

4 is g/c accidental full row and 5 is d/a accidental row.

PS previous post
There is a function effect called valve noise that might well be your clicking check that function turn it off and save the setting or it will come back.Restore it to defaults if not to much bother if you want to save the current settings to USB before you do to save time that will tell you if its a setting.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 03:47:09 PM by folkloristmark »
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

DaveW

• Regular debater
« Reply #639 on: November 24, 2019, 05:52:38 PM »

There is a function effect called valve noise that might well be your clicking check that function turn it off and save the setting or it will come back.Restore it to defaults if not to much bother if you want to save the current settings to USB before you do to save time that will tell you if its a setting.
The button question was to do with response rather than click noises.  I thought the sometimes poor response - late or weak sound - was maybe caused by dirty contacts. Eric has mentioned different mechanisms, which I need to read up. I knew a Roland PA player who opened up his box and said it was full of dust. Maybe I need to buy Dyson?
DaveW

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal