Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Most inappropriate genre for melodeon  (Read 33111 times)

GbH

• GbH Online
Re: Most inappropriate genre for melodeon
« Reply #100 on: May 31, 2009, 05:18:30 PM »

I can't even get 'in and out the susty bluebells' right...I doubt Run to the Hills is within my talents.

I guess you'll never know until you try.  Go on, no-one's looking...
"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

melod-ian

• Respected Sage
« Reply #101 on: May 31, 2009, 10:15:08 PM »

ill have to try "Run to the Hills"... ive got "Black Night" by Deep Purple in the repertoire..
i was trying out "Apache" this afternoon .. thats a bit of a challenge ;D

3 x Acadian's (C,Bb,A),
Hohner corona iiir (GCF)
PS Black Pearl (DG)
and the old hohner erica (DG)

Sebastian

« Reply #102 on: June 01, 2009, 12:16:33 AM »

I can't even get 'in and out the dusty bluebells' right...I doubt Run to the Hills is within my talents.
Maybe, but - on the other hand - it may be more interesting than those dusty bells. :)

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #103 on: June 04, 2009, 08:56:06 AM »

No heavy metal but a bit of Beatles
http://www.onmvoice.com/play/6136

I'd like to be able to play this though
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_4515PnZmc
bit of mettalica
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 10:28:21 AM by ladydetemps »

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #104 on: June 04, 2009, 10:15:16 PM »

bit of mettalica

Yes, I've thought the same thing before now.  It's a fantastic tune.  I'm not at all sure it would be easy to make that work on an unaccompanied box, though.   

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #105 on: June 08, 2009, 12:19:34 PM »

bit of mettalica

Yes, I've thought the same thing before now.  It's a fantastic tune.  I'm not at all sure it would be easy to make that work on an unaccompanied box, though.   
you gave me an idea for a cartoon

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #106 on: June 08, 2009, 06:06:20 PM »

bit of mettalica
Either the link is wrong or you'll need at least a Streb for this orchestral piece, preferably linked to a moster, high quality synth for best effect  >:E
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #107 on: June 08, 2009, 07:17:18 PM »

bit of mettalica
Either the link is wrong or you'll need at least a Streb for this orchestral piece, preferably linked to a moster, high quality synth for best effect  >:E

No, not the wrong link, just a slightly misleading one.  Here's a video featuring the original Metallica version - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lljBSQdlvY&feature=related or, alternatively, one where they perform it with a full orchestra http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAsA00-5KoI.

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #108 on: June 12, 2009, 12:22:37 AM »

After my previous false start, I've now had another go at recording Iron Maiden's Phantom Of The Opera.  Last time around, there were too many mistakes, but worse than that, something about it didn't feel at all right.  So, I dumped it.  Given the genre of the original, maybe this wasn't surprising, but not to be defeated, I decided to go back to the drawing board and give it another go anyway.  So, other than the intro (can't really be changing that, can I?), it's now got a very different feel, even though much of it is basically the same notes.

So, here it is - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dXd-eWmyzk&feature=channel_page.

Guy

HallelujahAl

« Reply #109 on: June 12, 2009, 08:31:32 AM »

Very theatrical...in fact I think I prefer your version to Iron Maiden's original!
AL

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #110 on: June 12, 2009, 11:45:51 AM »

bit of mettalica

v cute cartoon, you are a clever girl!
I don't get 'jigs'

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #111 on: June 12, 2009, 12:52:57 PM »

After my previous false start, I've now had another go at recording Iron Maiden's Phantom Of The Opera.  Last time around, there were too many mistakes, but worse than that, something about it didn't feel at all right.  So, I dumped it.  Given the genre of the original, maybe this wasn't surprising, but not to be defeated, I decided to go back to the drawing board and give it another go anyway.  So, other than the intro (can't really be changing that, can I?), it's now got a very different feel, even though much of it is basically the same notes.

So, here it is - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dXd-eWmyzk&feature=channel_page.

ooh that one sounds much better. :) Looking at your vids mine seem a little boring.....I'll have to liven them up a bit.
Hmmmm..maybe I'll dress up in my gibson girl (edwardian) outfit and play 'Lambeth Walk'or 'oh dear what can the matter be' ? ;)

v cute cartoon, you are a clever girl!
Thank you....the cartoons are another little hobby of mine.

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #112 on: June 13, 2009, 08:31:32 AM »

After my previous false start, I've now had another go at recording Iron Maiden's Phantom Of The Opera.  Last time around, there were too many mistakes, but worse than that, something about it didn't feel at all right.  So, I dumped it.  Given the genre of the original, maybe this wasn't surprising, but not to be defeated, I decided to go back to the drawing board and give it another go anyway.  So, other than the intro (can't really be changing that, can I?), it's now got a very different feel, even though much of it is basically the same notes.

ooh that one sounds much better. :) Looking at your vids mine seem a little boring.....I'll have to liven them up a bit.
Hmmmm..maybe I'll dress up in my gibson girl (edwardian) outfit and play 'Lambeth Walk'or 'oh dear what can the matter be' ? ;)

I don't know if it's just a coincidence or not, but the videos I've done without the costumes and sillyness have been the least watched.  I guess my playing isn't good enough yet to stand up on its own, without visual distractions.  Anyhow, putting some extra effort into what the videos look like is quite fun to do, regardless.  It's certainly worth a go, if you're in the mood for it.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #113 on: June 13, 2009, 03:32:50 PM »

I guess my playing isn't good enough yet to stand up on its own,

G
I hope that you'll forgive me, but the above is pants! Your theatricality is great fun - but your playing is very good - at least as good as the drama. Mind you, you're not the only person on this forum who hides behind a silly costume...

AL ;D

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #114 on: June 13, 2009, 04:43:25 PM »

G
I hope that you'll forgive me, but the above is pants! Your theatricality is great fun - but your playing is very good - at least as good as the drama. Mind you, you're not the only person on this forum who hides behind a silly costume...

AL ;D

Thanks for the comment, Al, but I find it hard to think like that about my playing.  When putting something up on YouTube, I'm aware that I'm putting my videos alongside others by players from all over the world.  I know that many such people have a great deal of melodeon experience, confidence and knowledge of their chosen genres - none of which I can lay any great claim to.  I'm happy that I've improved a lot over the last year, but still don't feel I have the sort of control, discipline and assurance that I see and admire in others.  Also, as was evident with the initial version of 'Phantom', I'm still learning the hard way as to what works and what doesn't.

Guy

p.s. why was I secretly a little disappointed that your link didn't bring up a picture of some morris dancers?   ;D
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 04:45:48 PM by GbH »

HallelujahAl

« Reply #115 on: June 13, 2009, 05:06:56 PM »

why was I secretly a little disappointed that your link didn't bring up a picture of some morris dancers?

I did think about it >:E
AL

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #116 on: June 13, 2009, 10:06:46 PM »

G

AL ;D

Thanks for the comment, Al, but I find it hard to think like that about my playing.  When putting something up on YouTube, I'm aware that I'm putting my videos alongside others by players from all over the world.  I know that many such people have a great deal of melodeon experience, confidence and knowledge of their chosen genres - none of which I can lay any great claim to.  I'm happy that I've improved a lot over the last year, but still don't feel I have the sort of control, discipline and assurance that I see and admire in others.  Also, as was evident with the initial version of 'Phantom', I'm still learning the hard way as to what works and what doesn't.

Guy

p.s. why was I secretly a little disappointed that your link didn't bring up a picture of some morris dancers?   ;D

I tried filming myself the other day and playing it back I was struck immediately by my lack of precision and control. My playing has always been rather wild and flamboyant, I can't help but wish it was different :(

And I spent a happy half hour or so looking through your videos last week. I especially liked the juggling and the yo-yos. Fantastic stuff.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #117 on: June 14, 2009, 08:31:08 PM »

And I spent a happy half hour or so looking through your videos last week. I especially liked the juggling and the yo-yos. Fantastic stuff.

(:)

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #118 on: July 14, 2009, 03:14:13 PM »

Would it be possible to play some T-rex songs?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal