Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Most inappropriate genre for melodeon  (Read 33110 times)

C age ing

• Respected Sage
  • New fangled melodeon?
Re: Most inappropriate genre for melodeon
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2008, 02:23:11 PM »

The perfect instrument for jazz is, obviously, the acoustic air guitar followed by air banjo and air drums preferably played somewhere north of Spitzbergen.
Darren,
I've often heard that used by people unable to improvise. ??? 
Just remember it has been a part of music since time immemorial. The concertos always had a bit at the end for improvs and the continuo was the prequel to the chord sequence given to pianist, guitarist and bassists, who, in time honoured fashion, are left to get on with it.
Old Bill.
My Erika is as old as me. Luckily, it is not as decrepit.

Claire Abbott

« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2008, 06:22:40 PM »

I call it my "download banjo" because in the old days when I was tied to a dial-up connection I used to play it a lot. It sat by the computer and I strummed happily away waiting for things to happen on screen. Now in these these broadband times it hardly ever comes out of the case. Shame really.

The dial up delay gave me the time to learn to play the melodeon! On really slow days I could play 2xA & 2xB at beginners speed before the requested page had loaded.

The banjo is top of my list as my next instrument to learn - how pleased the neighbours are that I now have broadband!

Claire

P.S. I have just "spell checked" this and it offered meltdown to replace melodeon!!!

Waltham

• Regular debater
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2008, 08:12:05 PM »

Surely it's time for the Top-Level Music Lovers/Noise Abatement Coalition to do for the banjo what they did for the melodeon twenty years ago, i.e. use state-of-the-art viral-marketing brain-washing techniques to convince players that they've worked so hard with their old loud Hohners, and are obviously so innately musical that that they owe it to themselves to hand over the cost of a reasonable second-hand car for a hand-made Italian instrument that just happens to be three orders-of-magnitude quieter.  It worked brilliantly on melodeon players for a long time, and the rest of the world really appreciated the (relative) peace and quiet even if it is just starting to wear off.  But will banjo players be as gullible?  Only time will tell...

Falseknight

• Respected Sage
    • False Knight
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2008, 11:57:58 PM »

Regrettably not.

Banjo players (my main problem is tenor players who think all Irish tunes in D are actually in A) have spent, since time immoral, unfeasible amounts of money on loud wrecks, or even more money on custom built instruments which emulate 60 year old wrecks.

If you've ever played in a session led by tenor banjo players in their chosen keys - you would declare themnon-traditional and cast them to outer darkness.

The violinist I play with most in dance bands (she objects to fiddler) will not use melodeon players.  I have stand up battles trying to get some urgency or drive out of her chosen PA players - you know the conversation -we've got a bass player and a drummer - you don't need 120 bass, 10 couplers and a stand!

If I got chance,I'd like to set up the session from hell - all the 4 stop singles, the tenor banjos and the big PAs and let them work together - 5 of each  ;D

Randal Scott

• Respected Sage
  • Western USA
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2008, 05:21:25 AM »

...since time immoral

The whole of banjo playing AND accordian playing can be perceived as immoral!  :P

mike delta

« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2008, 04:24:47 PM »

I agree with George Garside and Theo.
Of course it can be done and with excellence. However, it is more than just a collection of notes and has as much to do with expression, passion and a feeling for what is trying to be conveyed.
One example that springs to mind is Tony MacMahon playing "AISLING GHEAL" and PORT na bPUCAI on the "I gCnoc na Grai" album (Gael Linn CEFCD 114). Both these slow airs are played with MacMahon's usual ability to play from within himself. Watching him play shows the passion of his musical expression that he is trying to convey (successfully I might add) through the medium of his soul, his fingers and his faithful old Hohner.
I know of several technically brilliant musicians but irrespective of the instruments they are playing, a slow air played without feeling does nothing for me personally.
This of course is not restricted to the playing of slow airs. I remember a classically trained violinist (with a good reputation within his own particular classical cohort) who came to Whitby folk week back I think in about 1996 who sat in on several Irish sessions armed with his fiddle and several tunebooks including small portable music stand who brought the music to a standstill on several occasons. Not because he was a "cut above" but because he was missing the whole point. Granted, his playing from the dots could not be faulted. Note perfect, spot on timing et ceter et cetera. However, in terms of musicality there just wasn't any. Period.
The last I heard of him was that he was "shown the door" in several sessions at Otley festival the following year. By all accounts he could not understand what he was doing wrong. All it required was a quiet word or two. "Play from the soul; not the paper".
Mike.

kenthorseman

« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2008, 07:06:53 PM »

Would the fact that you can't actually BEND notes be the biggest drawback? you should hear me bend notes as a begginer i oftem bend the wrong note into the right one, ken

Cheers
Ptarmigan

you can on a single voice box
george
[/quote]

SamWise

• Good talker
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2008, 08:22:34 AM »

I remember seeing one Mr Kennedy playing with Croke a few years back. On the one hand, he made the stuff that good folk fiddlers pull off as incredible barnstorming look easy. On the other hand, he had absolutely no soul whatsoever. And this is a man who is known in the classical community for taking liberties with the timing.

On the other hand, I've suffered through an awful lot of pedestrian, mid paced versions of English folk songs being dragged through the mire by people who can be seen to hesitate for a moment before each change of chord/position. That doesn't do a lot for me either! I think the melodeon has a great sound, and I'd be very interested to hear it in certain forms of Jazz. I'm having trouble imagining Thelonius Monk lines on a diatonic instrument, but hey, that's a challenge, right?

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2009, 09:32:49 AM »

OLD THREAD WARNING
any ideas?

I was wondering if its sacrilage to want to play pop, ska or heavy metal on a melodeon....I rather fancy having a try at some 'madness' and 'mettalica' tunes.

HallelujahAl

« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2009, 09:51:50 AM »

I was wondering if its sacrilage to want to play pop, ska or heavy metal on a melodeon....I rather fancy having a try at some 'madness' and 'mettalica' tunes.

I destroyed Nirvana's 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' for my teenage kids by playing it on the Ukulele ;D Funny how they went off Nirvana after that ???
AL

Anyway, I'm off to play Hawkwind's 'Silver Machine' on my D/G  - really could do with a Streb in order to get some real AMPLIFICATION< REVERB<DISTORTION etc.,

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2009, 09:59:14 AM »

I destroyed Nirvana's 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' for my teenage kids by playing it on the Ukulele ;D Funny how they went off Nirvana after that ???

Nirvana are one of my fave bands....is there a vid of this rendition of yours on youtube at all? ;)

HallelujahAl

« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2009, 11:16:56 AM »

Nirvana are one of my fave bands....is there a vid of this rendition of yours on youtube at all?

Frayed knot :D and you genuinely wouldn't have liked it!
AL

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2009, 11:21:09 AM »

Nirvana are one of my fave bands....is there a vid of this rendition of yours on youtube at all?

Frayed knot :D and you genuinely wouldn't have liked it!
AL
you should hear me murder 'come as you are' on guitar.  :o

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2009, 12:26:45 PM »

If this can be done on a one row nothing is inappropriate or impossible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvxVvVSpbrw&feature=related

Who can recognise the most tunes in this medley

or how about this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YLwvUWw8qw&feature=related

Envious Martin

Wow! Absolutely enchanting.
I don't get 'jigs'

Scallyanglo

• Regular debater
  • Baffetti/Oakwood Binci Pariselle 2.6 LM 14 bass
« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2009, 12:55:15 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvxVvVSpbrw&feature=related

Very lovely - Marcel Messervier gives an excellent demonstration of 'melodeon eyes' - particularly through the slower, lyrical passages.

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2009, 01:54:33 PM »

AL

Heh, I taught myself James Hill's arrangement of Ave Maria on my uke a few years back. That part of it that I coudl handle at any rate.

The only real drawback to the melodeon is the lack of chromatics. I feel sure that classical, rock, blues and all sorts could be played successfully on it, as long as the notes were there.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2009, 03:02:06 PM »

Marcel Messervier gives an excellent demonstration of 'melodeon eyes' - particularly through the slower, lyrical passages.

Actually, that's Raynald - Marcel is the one with the full head of hair.

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2009, 09:31:59 PM »

Nirvana are one of my fave bands....is there a vid of this rendition of yours on youtube at all? ;)

Glorystrokes, not unknown to several posters here, have been known to playSmells like TeenSpirit coupled withShepherds' Hey  They call it Smells Like Shepherd's Pie.  Way to go chaps!!

Baz
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

GbH

• GbH Online
« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2009, 12:02:05 AM »

For many years, one of my favourite bands has been the Cardiacs, a somewhat eccentric 'pop group' that tend to baffle many but have a hard core of very loyal fans.  If you've not seen or heard of them before, have a look at this old, but still startling, introduction  >:E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlfWoWHHRNA 

Anyhow, over the years, they've released a fair number of albums, either under their own name or as side projects.  So, here's my version of one of their more obscure tracks, from an album simply titled Mr And Mrs Smith And Mr Drake.  The original track was called To My Piano From Mr Drake, but I couldn't really call it that on my video, could I? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vnBPZ2fEq8

There's actually some more of it too, but I think that might have been a bit much for the video (i.e. neatly getting around the fact that I'm still struggling to arrange some of it...).

Anyhow, regardless of the unusual source, I still think it's a fun tune to play.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 12:32:29 AM by GbH »
"You sir, are mad as an omelette on a bicycle! " - C Williams

LeFonque

• Good talker
  • Loffet 3 voice, Loffet Pro 2+
    • Hupomenos
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2009, 06:18:35 AM »

One Word "Opera"
The philosophers have only interpreted the world, in various ways. The point, however, is to change it.
Karl Marx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal