Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for July 2011: Three Around Three  (Read 21254 times)

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
Re: Tune of the Month for July 2011: Three Around Three
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2011, 07:31:24 AM »

I enjoyed your playing too!

So did I, I'll not be listening again though and it will have nothing to do with Howard's excellent playing. I don't say this often but I really dislike this tune, I can see no merit in it at all, others obviously like it so I'll say no more for fear of offending someone!

That sounds like a challenge...I might give it the 'Almo' treatment - ha ha  >:E :||: >:E
ISIS Melodeon, Hohner Erica,  Fender Strat Plus, Takamine, Hofner Violin Bass, Hohner CX12 Harmonica, etc.... Website: https://folk-music.uk

pammylou

• Dino Baffetti, Castagnari Tommy, Serenellini Dona
    • Rattlejag Morris
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2011, 10:56:46 AM »

A jolly little reel/polka thing with a funky bass run, normally played in G

Could anyone explain how to do the funky bass run please?  I can play the tune but use the usual umcha basses on G/D and C.  I would like to have a crack at something different with the basses and this seems like a good place to start.

Thanks
Pam

mrdibbs

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2011, 02:17:33 PM »

Could anyone explain how to do the funky bass run please?  I can play the tune but use the usual umcha basses on G/D and C.  I would like to have a crack at something different with the basses and this seems like a good place to start.

Thanks
Pam

I´ll second that request.... please!!
nothing fancy...

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2011, 10:15:20 PM »

Here's my posting of this month's tune. Look out for a guest appearance by Mollthecoll :P. Played on my Saltarelle L'Elfique, newly and nicely fixed by Theo just today. Played in a slightly brisk hornpipe stylee. I fancied getting this one in pretty quick as I already knew it from playing it in Tumbling Tom and didn't want to be too influenced by anybody else's version. No clever basses - just a nice simple accompaniment to a jaunty la'al tune. Whilst I was setting up my camera and digital recorder there was a baby robin sitting onthe fence just to my left in the picture. Unfortunately he must have been a bit camera shy as he didn't stay for the recording.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQK2fAwJkdA

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2011, 10:50:18 PM »

Thanks
Pam

I´ll second that request.... please!!

I'm away from all melodeons (shudder) for the next 10 days or so; I'm sure someone will demonstrate it before I return to melodeon land, but if not it'll appear in my video in some form to be sure. There's nothing particularly clever about it; just a C-B-A-G run on the bass at the end of bar 4 (I think, I'm working *completely* from memory) and everywhere else that particular sequence appears throughout the tune, which lets face it, is quite often.

Cheers,

Clive

JohnAndy

• Regular debater
  • John Barber
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2011, 11:20:39 AM »

Here's my posting of this month's tune.

That's nice :-)

Straightforward happy version of the tune with just enough decoration and variation to keep it interesting.

mrdibbs

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2011, 02:15:01 PM »

Here's my posting of this month's tune. Look out for a guest appearance by Mollthecoll :P. Played on my Saltarelle L'Elfique, newly and nicely fixed by Theo just today. Played in a slightly brisk hornpipe stylee. I fancied getting this one in pretty quick as I already knew it from playing it in Tumbling Tom and didn't want to be too influenced by anybody else's version. No clever basses - just a nice simple accompaniment to a jaunty la'al tune. Whilst I was setting up my camera and digital recorder there was a baby robin sitting onthe fence just to my left in the picture. Unfortunately he must have been a bit camera shy as he didn't stay for the recording.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQK2fAwJkdA
the problem is we might be influenced by this version... great job!
nothing fancy...

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2011, 03:39:30 PM »

Here's my posting of this month's tune. Look out for a guest appearance by Mollthecoll :P. Played on my Saltarelle L'Elfique, newly and nicely fixed by Theo just today.

Nice playing, and that G bass sounds great!
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Ray

• Regular debater
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2011, 04:12:33 PM »

http://www.onmvoice.com/play.php?a=59346

Including Clives bass run, except I play it C,B,B,G. Played a smidgen fast on a camera that was running out of battery even faster!

Also, completely a lovely slower take, went to go look at it, forgot to press record  ::)

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2011, 09:51:59 PM »

Used to play this years ago and had all but forgotten it. This tune just seemed to cry out for the old, black Erica. I have tried to play the same version as back in the early 80s, even recreating the same mistakes for the sake of historical authenticity  ;D

http://www.onmvoice.com/play.php?a=59378

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2011, 10:41:02 PM »

Here's my posting of this month's tune. Look out for a guest appearance by Mollthecoll :P. Played on my Saltarelle L'Elfique, newly and nicely fixed by Theo just today.
Nice playing, and that G bass sounds great!
It does, Theo - and I've not managed to blow any more gaskets! (Not yet anyway)  ;D

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2011, 02:19:56 PM »

Makes a change for me to actually know the Tune of The Month - not played it for ages though.

I got carried away because of Howard posting the instructions for the dance.....I play it as a reggae hornpipe..

http://soundcloud.com/almo-3/three-around-three

Alan
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 03:51:19 PM by Almo2504 »
ISIS Melodeon, Hohner Erica,  Fender Strat Plus, Takamine, Hofner Violin Bass, Hohner CX12 Harmonica, etc.... Website: https://folk-music.uk

Larry

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2011, 06:52:43 PM »

Alan, you did it again! You[old]fox..it gets better and better with you. You are
a public man who needs an audience. "you got the motion buddy"!!

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2011, 07:07:22 PM »

Cheers Larry,

I'm having a ball - hope you hear it in the music   :D

Thanks for the comments - including the 'old' bit.... :|bl

Alan

Chris Brimley

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2011, 12:19:04 PM »

That's a lovely dance band and caller you've got there, Almo - ever thought of gigging together?  ;)

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2011, 12:20:54 PM »

Makes a change for me to actually know the Tune of The Month - not played it for ages though.

I got carried away because of Howard posting the instructions for the dance.....I play it as a reggae hornpipe..

Alan
You know talking to yourself is the first sign of madness. ;)

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2011, 12:54:21 PM »

Alan

I'm WAYYYYY past that stage LDT......

I have played in barn dance bands but never tried calling - as experienced callers in here with be able to tell right away....
Oh well - just fancied trying something different - now you know what my speaking voice sounds like... :D

lol - I couldn't call and play at the same time anyway - as other threads had mentioned playing and just speaking.... ::)

Alan
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 12:57:56 PM by Almo2504 »

derekw

« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2011, 01:51:20 PM »

i hope that's only when you don't know you are, otherwise I've got a big problem
If I'd known I'd live this long I'd taken more care of myself.

pammylou

• Dino Baffetti, Castagnari Tommy, Serenellini Dona
    • Rattlejag Morris
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2011, 08:55:24 PM »

I'm away from all melodeons (shudder) for the next 10 days or so; I'm sure someone will demonstrate it before I return to melodeon land, but if not it'll appear in my video in some form to be sure. There's nothing particularly clever about it; just a C-B-A-G run on the bass at the end of bar 4 (I think, I'm working *completely* from memory) and everywhere else that particular sequence appears throughout the tune, which lets face it, is quite often.

Cheers,

Clive

Thanks very much, Clive.  I have been having a go at this but it doesn't sound quite right!  ???

I would be really grateful if someone could demo it.

Thanks in anticipation
Pam 

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2011, 08:07:26 AM »

I wouldn't worry about it -I don't think it fits very well imho...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal