Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re-tuning reeds..?  (Read 3337 times)

tucks

• Saltarelle Nuage C#/D and Castagnari Max D/G/C
Re-tuning reeds..?
« on: August 01, 2008, 01:17:36 PM »

Why do a lot of one row melodeons come with a repeated note on the bottom 2 buttons?
(ie on a D row - A is the on bottom button on the pull and the 2nd button on push. On a G row its D etc)

Something to do with fitting the basses maybe?

Anyway.. I'd like to retune the bottom button so that i get the missing note.
Does this mean I need to replace the reeds? or can they be retuned?
If they can be retuned can anyone give any tips on how to do it..

(I remember Rees retuned the bottom button of my D melodeon when i bought it off him a few years ago... how did you do it Rees? )

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Re-tuning reeds..?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 02:36:23 PM »

The pull A on the bottom button of a D row give you an A7 chord by pulling on the first 4 buttons,  which you may or may not find useful, depending on your playing style.

If you continued the pattern of buttons you would have a B here instead.  To retune you either fit 4 replacement reeds and then fine tune once they are in place, or tune the 4 A reeds up to B by filing metal of the tip of the reeds.  Its not something I would recommend learning to do on good reeds in a nice box.  Otherwise take the box to your favourite tuner, its a fairly small job for someone with the tools and skills.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 02:29:44 PM »

I can't remember that specific job but I would have used one of the two methods described by Theo.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

tucks

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 06:10:57 PM »

Rees - It was at Sidmouth an few years back. So I'm presuming you filed the reeds (or do you carry spare castagnari type reeds around with you ?!)

So what kind of tuner do you use for tuning reeds? I'd maybe like to play around with this on an old battered box to see if I can do it! sounds like fun!

(when I make a mess of it and realise I can't do it I'll probably call on your services!!)

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 08:28:31 PM »

My main tuning meter sits on the desktop of my old Mac iBook. It's a digital strobe tuner available for download - can't remember the name but it was the first one for a Mac on Google. Big thanks to Monsieur Too Many Buttons of this forum for finding it in the first place. It is however only available for Mac. There may be other options for PC. It's extremely accurate but a trifle flighty if there is any kind of background noise, Traffic, birds, neighbours, children to name a few of my local distractions.
I therefore double check with my trusty Korg ST1200 (not so accurate, but bombproof). This is a chromatic thingy along the lines of a guitar tuner with analogue meter and two lights for flat and sharp.

Once those two pesky gadgets have conspired against me I fine tune using the most technologically advanced piece of equipment in my studio.
Located one on each side of my head they can actually hear music.

WHAT! SPEAK UP! eh! eh!
www.melodeons.com

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 08:30:49 PM »

www.melodeons.com

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 09:03:31 PM »

I use a Peterson StroboFlip virtual strobe tuner and find it very good, it's a compact stand alone unit that does what it says on the tin, with great accuracy.

Dirk's Professional Accordion Tuner looks like a remarkable piece of software and has the added advantage of being able to 'hear' up to three voices at once and tell you what each is tuned to! You're back to needing to work near a PC or use a laptop though.  :(
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

tucks

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 02:49:24 PM »

Thanks a lot people
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal