Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: max action!?!  (Read 2818 times)

tucks

• Saltarelle Nuage C#/D and Castagnari Max D/G/C
max action!?!
« on: August 01, 2008, 01:25:51 PM »

I have a new, straight from the factory Castagnari max in C.  It looks lovely..one of the first they've made in Cherry (makes a change from the black).
..But, the action on it is terrible! really stiff buttons and bellows..
I've had it almost a year and I thought that it might 'loosen up' over time!.. Well the bellows are begining to be controllable now, but the buttons are still really stiff.
When I compare it to another max's I can see the the action is slightly higher (ie buttons stick out more from the finger board) But its not a massive difference.. ( 3mm ish)

Is there anything I can do? can the springs be loosened?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 04:39:51 PM by tucks »

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: max action!?!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 08:31:22 PM »

All that sort of thing can be adjusted.  I would not expect spring pressure to lessen with a years playing.  Some players just like the stiff buttons, one argument being that the buttons spring back quicker allowing faster playing.  A 3mm difference in button height/travel is a lot in comparison with typical button travel on a well set up box is only about 3 or 4mm.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

tucks

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 06:00:31 PM »

Thanks Theo.

So how do I go about loosening the springs? do I need to replace them?
..And adjusting the height of the buttons?

I quiet fancy having a go at these things myself..It would be nice to be able to repair and adjust my own boxes...  but maybe I'm a bit out of my depth?!

TheStoneCrusher

• New Starter
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 12:15:22 AM »

I have an Alessandrini Model 23 with custom work.  I contacted Tonino there and had the springs replaced twice.  In both cases there was no charge for the springs, but I did have to pay $50 for the labor.  Tonino mentioned, in an email I am looking for, that there is a way of bending the existing springs to weaken them and increase the action speed.  On a different box I had I put some thick felt under the buttons to reduce the depth the button could travel.  Presently I have a stepped keyboard - similar to a chromatic accordion.  I play a D/C# from the outside in - the traditional setup.  The stepped keyboard reduces the amount a key can be depressed and it also makes playing notes on the inside row easier because they are physically closer to your fingers.  Unfortunately I have not yet been able to find the email that describes the technique for bending the springs.
Goodwill

tucks

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 10:06:50 AM »

Thanks 'stonecrusher' !

Did you ever find the email?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal