Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: High D on B/C  (Read 1753 times)

sandwich

• Good talker
High D on B/C
« on: July 15, 2011, 03:24:50 PM »

Around about how much would it cost to retune one note to a high D? Very frustrating not to have the high D with the BC tuning. I suppose I could probably do without the A#. Just wondering if other BC players have done the same thing

LDbosca

Re: High D on B/C
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 04:10:21 PM »

Don't know how much it is, but usually it's put in on the push on the last note of the B row, which is C# on the pull (probably high F# if it's not tuned to high D)

nfldbox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 04:13:45 PM »

I have not retuned to D and I certainly miss it. I should put that on my to-do list
BC Cairdin
BC Hohner Double Ray
Bouchard en Ré

Eoin

• anglo GC, BC, BCC#
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 10:13:59 PM »

I have been playing BC for only a couple of years, but I have not yet felt the need of a high d, except when practising scales.  In fact I don't know any trad (Scottish) tunes that go that high (though Scott Skinner probably strays in that direction).  Am I missing something?  Perhaps it's so that you can play tunes up an octave as a variation, but wouldn't that make the tune fairly inaudible when playing in company?

LDbosca

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 10:27:48 PM »

There's only a few tunes with it in it alright but it's nice to have to reach up for during variations, plus having it on the push allows you to hold it while playing E, F#, G and B which is handy for different things. Plus if you ever move away from traditional material it can be useful. It's certainly more useful than a high F# so I reckon it's worth getting.

nfldbox

• Respected Sage
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 02:01:44 AM »

I find it periodically in new tunes rather than trad.
BC Cairdin
BC Hohner Double Ray
Bouchard en Ré

sandwich

• Good talker
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 05:03:26 PM »

I'll switch the high f# so. I don't understand the notion of not needing it because you don't see written down in tunes. Do you never feel like doodling up and down the keyboard and playing whatever you want. Would be great to see more traditional players break out of the mold of seeing tunes in terms of their key. I change the key of tunes all the time
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal