Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm a REFORMED Robot!  (Read 3148 times)

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
I'm a REFORMED Robot!
« on: July 16, 2011, 05:04:49 PM »

I'm home again after the curious incident of the Computer That Didn't. On holiday in the Lakes, I had to use mobile access to T'Interweb Thingy, but imagine my surprise when my favourite website turned her back on me and refused to speak, claiming that I was a Robot.  :'( I managed to get access via the back door (my mobile phone). Going through to the Wotsit Project gave me no useful result, after I did what they said and STILL received rejection. I am now using the same computer, though through my normal SSI (or whatever it's called - Talktalk, I mean) and everything is honky dury.
As it is Sidmouth very soon and then Whitby, can any of you computer genii please tell me how to avoid the problem next time please? I'm sure I'm not the first to have accumulated this problem.  :M
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Marje

• Respected Sage
Re: I'm a REFORMED Robot!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 06:07:27 PM »

I've just had this same problem with my normal home PC when I first tried to access Melnet today ("Access denied. You are a a robot ...etc") and felt very panicky. Then I saw the suggestion that you should try switching off the router and rebooting. So I tried the time-honoured trick of switching everything off and then back on again, and it's all OK now.

If anyone knows what on earth is going on here, I'd be grateful for an explanation.
Marje

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 06:28:39 PM »

If you have looked at the recent posts in the  News and Announcements forum you will be aware that we have been experiencing large numbers of attempts to register by spammers.  To counter this we have had to install various security measures to repel these parasites.   Unfortunately the anti spam measures are not perfect and sometimes you will be told you are a robot when you have ample reasons for believing you are a genuine human member of the forum.

The methods we use are based on looking up your IP address in a database of known spammers.  Your IP address may appear in the database for at least two reasons:

1 - your computer is infected with malware and unknown to you it is being used to send out spam.  If you have security software on your machine it will only be effective if you keep it up to date.  Most software of this type can be set to update automatically.

2 - To understand the second reason you need a bit of background info about how your IP address is set.  When you connect your home computer through a router to the internet your Internet Service Provider (eg BT, Plusnet, Virgin etc) allocates an IP address to your router.   As long as the router is left on and working normally the IP address remains the same.  If you switch the router off, or re-boot, it may be allocated a different IP address.  Unfortunately the IP address you are given may have previously been abused and have a become listed in one of the databases of known spammers.   So re-booting your router again may strike luck and be allocated a clean IP address when access to melnet will return to normal.

Using Internet access away from home you stand a larger chance of trouble because public access points such as wifi hotspots, and Internet cafes seem to be more open to abuse than home or work systems.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 06:42:35 PM »

I'm having trouble with using my "mobile" web access, via O2 - effectively I should imagine dial-up. I'll have another go on the machine I was using while away and if still a ROBOT, I'll chase O2, since I suspect that is where my problem lies. I'll let you know what I find out.

@Theo - sorry about putting my query in the wrong bit - I very rarely look below the line as the low part is usually well above my competence level.

Regards,

Chris.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 06:51:28 PM »

I'm having trouble with using my "mobile" web access, via O2 -

You could try this simplified version for mobiles http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,2615.0.html though it may not make any difference to the anti spammer messages.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Marje

• Respected Sage
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 09:55:28 AM »

Thanks for the explanation, Theo. There was an explanation of this sort on the warning page, but I wasn't entirely sure whether the warning page itself was some sort of hoax and I was being invited to take steps that would actually help spammers, or something.

Since I rebooted the whole system, all is well, so I hope it was simply an unfortunate IP address that was causing the problem.
Marje

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 08:04:36 PM »

I've printed off everything in sight and I'm going to annoy O2 asap!  :-*
I'm a Yorkie!

GuyWyatt

• Respected Sage
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 07:53:38 AM »

I had the same issue over the weekend using Eastcoast Mainilne's on-board wifi. 

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 04:54:54 PM »

Hmm - we'll have to get out there with extra-heavy clogs and let these internet providers realise what a heinous sin they are committing by interfering with access to the only necessary site on T'Web!  :M  :||:
I'm a Yorkie!

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 10:29:58 PM »

I went into the O2 shop this afternoon, braving floods in the interest of the pure truth. The manager was very helpful and after several experiments, we decided that the reason for my failure to connect to Melnet using their dongle was definitely the improved security measures, which seemingly banned access from systems such as theirs. He also explained why fora (note correct Latin usage, fellow pedants!) needed heavier security than other websites, because of their greater attractiveness to advertising swine (apologiews to any pigs reading this).
Any whinges I may have made are herewith rescinded - I'd much rather have Melnet without spam.
I'm a Yorkie!

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 10:51:56 PM »

He also explained why fora (note correct Latin usage, fellow pedants!)

Well done that man

(apologiews to any pigs reading this).

Shame you let yourself down with a typo   >:E

I'd much rather have Melnet without spam.

Does the spam come from the advertising swine only when it has been processed and canned  ;D

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 10:36:41 AM »

Dear friends

Thread drift is ok anywhere else, but please, please please keep support topics strictly on topic.  :'(
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal