Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeon.net Workshop Weekend?  (Read 20038 times)

Johnjo

• Regular debater
Re: Melodeon.net Workshop Weekend?
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2011, 12:07:24 PM »

Am I right in thinking there's someone on Melnet who has, in the past, run melodeon workshops on a farm near Ashby de la Zouch? That's pretty central.

Failing that, Sheffield, or somewhere nearby would be grand.

Alison Scott

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Oakwood, Dino Baffetti, Roma, Liliput, Streb etc.
    • Macadamia
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2011, 02:44:22 PM »

If you wanted to do this in the winter, the YHA rent a hostel (Escape To) is ideal - once you have chosen the location! We had a family gathering at one (Wells) a year or so back and it was fantastic. Fairly cheap too, about £30 pp for a weekend.

As an example, here's Clun Mill: http://www.escape-to.co.uk/view_property.php?id=966

I'm another vote both for:

doing this -- I'd very much like to come if possible... and

doing this at a Youth Hostel in winter; our summers are very full indeed.

I also wanted to add that I have been to a weekend event at Clun Hill! It was awesome.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2011, 02:47:15 PM »

If you wanted to do this in the winter, the YHA rent a hostel (Escape To) is ideal - once you have chosen the location! We had a family gathering at one (Wells) a year or so back and it was fantastic. Fairly cheap too, about £30 pp for a weekend.

As an example, here's Clun Mill: http://www.escape-to.co.uk/view_property.php?id=966

I'm another vote both for:

doing this -- I'd very much like to come if possible... and

doing this at a Youth Hostel in winter; our summers are very full indeed.

I also wanted to add that I have been to a weekend event at Clun Hill! It was awesome.
I don't understand...are all the beds in shared dormitories? No single rooms?

Alison Scott

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
    • Macadamia
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2011, 02:50:18 PM »

Most YHA properties are rooms sleeping 2/4/6 in bunk beds; it's what keeps the price so low.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 03:00:33 PM by Alison Scott »

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2011, 02:53:37 PM »

Most YHA properties are rooms sleeping 2/4/6 in bunk beds; it's what keeps the price so low.
Have to have separate rooms for snorers ;)

summerstars

• Respected Sage
    • UK Surnames Genealogy Contact Site
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2011, 03:02:44 PM »

Have to have separate rooms for snorers ;)

A stock of beer bottles usually works  -   carefully aimed across the room at times of need
Dino Binci D/G, Sandpiper 3v D/G, Sandpiper C/F, Hohner Bb/Eb, Pariselle 1 Row in D, Streb

Guy

• Not quite enough melodeons....
    • Cats Claw
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2011, 03:15:55 PM »

I'm with LdT on this one-I don't think that I can cope with shared rooms any more after a festival experience in Spain a few years ago, so I'd be voting against the YHA option...
Guy, in South Wales

Cats Claw, http://www.cats-claw.co.uk

Ellie

• Saltarelle Pastourelle II
    • Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2011, 03:23:54 PM »

I'm with LdT on this one-I don't think that I can cope with shared rooms any more after a festival experience in Spain a few years ago, so I'd be voting against the YHA option...

They tend to have a mixture - some each of 2/3/4/6/8. We had a school trip to the Castleton one, many years ago now. Seem to remember that very nice (certainly in comparison to some of the hostels I've stayed in in this country since!). I'd definitely go for a YHA in preference to camping...

Hello

• Regular debater
  • mmm
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2011, 03:32:40 PM »

Anything is better than camping; except maybe indoor camping.
YHA's in the UK vary a lot, but I think you can guarantee badly sprung furniture and at least one hideous cabin bed. Oh and never, ever, use the sheet-bags they will offer you...I'm sure they were white once.
Trying is the first step towards failing

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2011, 03:34:15 PM »

I'd book into a local B&B instead myself...I don't do sharing rooms with relative strangers...don't even like having to share with close relatives TBH. And even public loos give me the heebiejeebies. ;)
Plus I snore...LOUDLY.

Alison Scott

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
    • Macadamia
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2011, 04:40:08 PM »

Obviously if we go for a hotel type option then all is much more expensive, but it's still not impossible. I'm in the 'completely happy with dorms, especially if it means not camping' category. But it is possible that I am a snorer rather than a snoree.

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2011, 04:58:55 PM »

Plus I notice on google maps no train station, or bus stop.

Marje

• Respected Sage
« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2011, 05:01:19 PM »

I'm reading this thread with interest. Being in Devon, I wouldn't want to be travelling too far from this end of the country, but I appreciate that others have a different perspective.

Camper van facilities would suit me, but only if I could bring my husband, as I don't drive the van. That would mean it would have to be somewhere scenic or interesting where he could go off for long walks. If it was winter I'd prefer something like YH or somewhere else with indoor sleeping. We did go to Witney once with the camper van, but it wasn't much fun in the van in a very cold November.

There must be other places we could rent that have individual rooms. Possibly a college (in the holidays) or some sort of residential educational or activity centre? B&Bs are so expensive, especially with single-room occupancy, I think the cost could put people off.

As for public transport access - well, it may suit some people, but MAD sufferers are going to struggle with all their precious cargo. I could manage my (one) box on a train, but not if I had to carry a tent and bedding too.

I was just trying to think where it was that my husband last stayed with a group who go scuba diving. Then I remembered it was the Isles of Scilly. Not an ideal location for us, really ...
Marje

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2011, 05:45:27 PM »

Some prefer camping/caravanning; others B & B and others YHA. We may not be able to please everyone, but we can try. What about looking for a village/small town with a camping/caravan site, a youth hostel, B & Bs and a couple of pubs that would welcome a session. That way people can choose their preferred type of accommodation.

We would also need a suitable venue for the workshops to take place, one with several rooms so that a number of workshops can take place simultaneously. A primary school would be ideal. There are a reasonable number of villages and small towns that could provide all of these things and some that also have railway stations for those who do not have their own transport.

When the poll has taken place to determine our preferred geographical area, it would be worth checking which places in that area have a youth hostel, a railway station and a camping/caravan site. It is likely that such a place will also have B & Bs, pubs and a primary school.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Mike Averill

• suffering from MAD
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2011, 06:12:05 PM »

We would also need a suitable venue for the workshops to take place, one with several rooms so that a number of workshops can take place simultaneously.

A lot of YHA have function rooms and class rooms as well as dormatories.
Hohner - 1 row 4 stop C and G, pokerwork DG, DoubleRay DC#, Corso CC#, Corona III ADG, CLUB X CF, Elysium II CF
Saltarelle 1 row 4 stop D, Castagnari Giordy DG, Sander DG
Sonola CC#, Walters DC#

oread_uk

• Regular debater
  • Baffetti/Oakwood SuperII D/G; Manfrini 3 voice D/G
    • Music related blog
« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2011, 06:37:12 PM »

It might be too far up North for some, but Hathersage, in the Peaks, has a wide variety of accommodation options to suit all budgets.  It also has a village hall with two separate large rooms and a few smaller ones.  We held our weekend of dance there last September.  The village hall were fine with indoor camping.  The local was pretty friendly in terms of holding a session on the Friday night...  And there's a lovely outdoor pool with views over the moors. :-)

Liz :-)

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2011, 08:29:14 PM »

Anything is better than camping; except maybe indoor camping.
YHA's in the UK vary a lot, but I think you can guarantee badly sprung furniture and at least one hideous cabin bed. Oh and never, ever, use the sheet-bags they will offer you...I'm sure they were white once.

For the record, all sheet sleeping bags were washed by external laundry companies as soon as they were discarded by the previous occupant. And much better to use the sheet sleeping bags than sleep straight on the mattress under the duvet... they were washed once every month or two.

Anyway, it's all moot now, because they now give everyone a sheet, pillowcase and duvet cover and require you to make your own bed instead of using a sheet sleeping bag. As I said: losing their way :(
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2011, 08:42:32 PM »

I'm afraid if people need reliable public transport, it rules out the majority of Devon, and a lot of other rural locations.
Both Marje and myself live a fair bit west, though there are others beyond the Tamar, closer still to America  ;)
We'd find the other side of the Midlands a fair way, and I'm sure those up north feel the same about anywhere this side of Midlands or Bristol.
It will be difficult to find a location to suit everyone. The only saving grace being that if successful, perhaps another event could be organised to suit those too far north/south for an inaugral event - but we might be running before we can walk!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2011, 09:08:49 PM »

A two parter perhaps? One for north and one for south?

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #79 on: July 19, 2011, 09:53:51 PM »

I seem to remember that Meriden is the exact centre of England. What's on the hallowed site of the old Triumph factory? Otherwise I'd go with George's suggestion of Cleckheaton (which has absolutely NOTHING to do with the fact that I dance with Spen Valley!) and The (Sainted) Music Room.  :-*
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal