Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How is the quality of old Weltmeister accordions ?  (Read 15757 times)

gerardo1000

How is the quality of old Weltmeister accordions ?
« on: July 18, 2011, 02:47:40 PM »

I'd like to get a 40-48 bass and 26 keys accordion,
and I see on E Bay a seller from Sofia, Bulgaria, with a 100 % positive feedback, who routinely sells old Weltmeister accordions (Stella or Serino) in very good to excellent condition, at interesting prices. It is possible to get a Weltmeister Serino or Stella, 40 bass 26 keys,in "very good condition", for $ 225.00 plus $95.00 shipping. This makes a total of $ 320.00, much less than a comparable new Hohner Bravo, and just a bit more than a new Chinese accordion from "Bonetti" or "RS Berkeley" or Parrot. I wonder if some forum members have an idea of the quality of these old Weltmeister accordions ?
I remember that I read some where that current Weltmeister are good, but the old ones were not.
Thank you for your advice.

george garside

Re: How is the quality of old Weltmeister accordions ?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 09:32:40 AM »

for what its worth & bearing in mind that there can be huge variation between two second hand boxes of identical make & model etc.

I have come accross a couple of Stellas   bought on ebay by two of my students  & both were suprisingly good relative to the cheap price.These were bought from UK sellers.. Some old weltmeisters ( communist era) that I have come aaccross haave not been good but laater ones are much improved.

HOwever tempting ebay isas is I always advise buying one you can try first!

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 11:27:54 AM »

I have come accross a couple of Stellas 

Be careful to distinguish between the Weltmeister Stella, and other accrodions branded just "Stella" which are definitely not Weltmeisters.   I have had the misfortune to have been asked to repair a couple of the latter and the ones I saw were very cheaply made and not very nice at all.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

AirTime

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 06:58:34 AM »

I bought an old Weltmeister Stella from a buyer in the US a couple of months ago. I was shocked by how poor the quality was. The keys were really cheap & nasty. It seemed to me significantly worse in quality than the Chinese PA's I have tried. I never really played it properly as it also had some playability issues. I sent it back.  It seems that the new Weltmeisters are hugely improved over the communist era ones.

I have been looking for a 34 key, 48, 60, 72 or 80 bass vintage PA for a while. It's a fairly common configuration in Weltmeisters, Chinese PA's, & vintage Hohners, & very rare in Italian PA's from the '50's & '60's. Mostly, when I see smaller Italian PA's they are dating from the '20's or '30's.  I am tempted to go for one of these & hope it can be fixed up for a "reasonable" cost. At least they are interesting-looking boxes with a bit of character...

(I should add that I have communicated with a couple of other musicians who seemed satisfied enough with their Bulgarian Weltmeister PA purchases fro casual use).

« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 07:03:42 AM by AirTime »
1920's BbEb Hohner; 1920's  AD Koch; 1910 (?) One-row Hohner in D,  1910's GCB Maga Ercole; ; AD 1950's Pistelli, CF Sandpiper, CF Preciosa, BbEb Preciosa.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal