Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Improving accordion expression by listening to melodeon masters  (Read 7764 times)

Sandy Flett

• Accordion and Melodeon Blog
Re: Improving accordion expression by listening to melodeon masters
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2011, 07:42:17 AM »

Yes, those are the keys. If you like the chords I have worked out for them I can send you a copy of my sheet music.
DG Dino Baffetti Carnival II (plus accordions)
Accordion and Melodeon blog

nemethmik

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2011, 08:55:41 AM »

Yes, those are the keys. If you like the chords I have worked out for them I can send you a copy of my sheet music.
Thank You, Sandy. I have a question that might be interesting other forum members either:
I'd like to teach this set of tunes to some of my hurdy-gurdy (tuned to G) friends. I guess that the 2nd tune in C and the third tune in G would work fine. But I am not sure about the 1st one in E minor, would it sound right against the G drones of the hurdy-gurdy?
That is I am looking for a key for the 1st tune that is equally OK both for a G hurdy gurdy and a G/C diatonic accordion.

Sandy Flett

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 09:26:25 AM »

I am not familiar with the hurdy-gurdy, but if it has a G drone then G minor would fit, but that would not be suitable for a GC melodeon. I have just tried the tune in D minor with a G drone and it is certainly better than E minor with G drone.

Other melnetters probably better placed to advise on this.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2011, 11:50:17 AM »

I was 'told' to play as a warm up for Swain&Price at Oxford Dance Camp last weekend. The other fella dragooned had a G gurdy and I was on a G/C. We'd not played together :-\   Mostly I let him lead and chorded. Jump@theSun in Gm was 'interesting'  :Ph

At 'last one' we hadn't done a bourrĂ©e so I launched into my Chav set which come out in Am on a G/C.  I have to say ziggy's gurdy sounded really solid against it and the dancers were well enough pleased.  So it can be done. Didn't ask how - it was my turn to dance. 
  _       _    _      _ 

nemethmik

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2011, 12:19:17 PM »

my Chav set which come out in Am on a G/C.  I have to say ziggy's gurdy sounded really solid against it and the dancers were well enough pleased.  So it can be done. Didn't ask how - it was my turn to dance.
When playing in E minor on a D set of Irish pipes, the piper does not turn off the D drones. When playing a B minor tune on GHB against the A drones the piper does not swith off the drones. And the music sounds right, noone understand why, but it works.
I assume therefore that A dorian/minor could sound fine against G drones. This has already been partly discussed in another thread, though.

parkwood

• DG Mory, CF Sandpiper & Serenellini acc*****n
    • Facebook band page
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2012, 09:03:06 PM »

Great to hear from you and learn "its not just me". And thank you for the various steers which I will follow up. Had a quick listen to the two tracks you mentioned and was impressed. Look forward to your recordings when you post them.

I notice in the article Becky says she loves the diatonic instruments but does not play them. However, you and I both play melodeon as well as accordion; any idea why we don't just play melodeon instead of also trying to get its influences onto accordion? Some of my reaons are: (a) you can play in (essentially) any key on accordion (b) the Stradella bass offers more options (c) more choice and ease-of-use of couplers usually (d) a quality accordion costs less than an equivalent quality melodeon (e) I grew up with PA and just like it very much as an instrument (f) there are some types of tune I play much better on accordion (eg really fast ones, fastish ones with lots of accidentals, slow airs). What's your excuse story - or that of any other "cross player" as I think someone on melnet once called it?

Hi Sandy - as promised, here's a few sets recorded in my living room last week. I think you can hear my melodeon influences in the second tune of each set - I don't really 'oom pah' at all. It's also the first outing for the stomp box!
http://soundcloud.com/cotterandwatson/fallen_hero
http://soundcloud.com/cotterandwatson/back-of-the-change-house
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 09:08:39 PM by parkwood »

Sandy Flett

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2012, 09:57:44 AM »

Its been a while, as they say, but worth the wait. Couple of lovely tunes and treatment there, and I do like the expression.

Quite a John Spiers effect on the bass. Steeped as I am in dance music the oom pah comes most naturally, but I am trying to get a bit of variation for listening sets, and yours is a good example for me.

I notice you are also a member of the accordion forum? I am currently canvassing opinion about whether we should have a members recordings board and I think your couple of tracks are an excellent example of what I would like to see on there.

parkwood

• DG Mory, CF Sandpiper & Serenellini acc*****n
    • Facebook band page
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2012, 06:27:44 PM »

Glad you enjoyed them, Sandy. Well spotted - I am a little Spiers inclined on the LH (The LH reed combination, bass EQ and stomp box all contribute) and Cutting/Price on the RH!

Happy to post them in the other place to an appropriate thread....
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal