Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Melodeon/Accordion, whats the difference?  (Read 20812 times)

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
Re: Melodeon/Accordion, whats the difference?
« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2011, 12:36:44 PM »

He does - and Stephane Grappelli played a violon, while Nigel Kennedy plays a violin. :D

Nigel Kennedy plays a fiddle  ;)

;D ;D

(I would have said "Vanessa Mae", but I wasn't sure whether English was her first language!)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 12:38:34 PM by GPS »
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #81 on: October 04, 2011, 12:44:30 PM »

Next time I see anyone retuning a guitar from standard to DADGAD I'll have to ask him what the instrument should be referred to as when he's finished.  ;)

It's a DADGADitar!  :|glug
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2011, 05:35:10 PM »

@TomB: Regarding the UK/GB thing, strictly speaking I live in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. The "Great Britain" bit by the way isn't national glory-grabbing, but simply to distinguish this island from "Little Britain", now called (by us) Brittany. This became necessary from the fourth century onwards when on the arrival of my ancestors, some of the aboriginals felt that they had to decamp to what is now, called "Wales" and others moved to northern Gaul. "Wales" by the way, in Saxon, means "the place of the foreigners", but the inhabitants give it a much nobler name - Cymru.

Chris.

PS - I call them all melodeons, justto be awkward.
C.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2011, 03:22:42 PM »

Very much so. btw you (and me) missed out on 'Fréd'  :Ph

I wouldn't have said so. In fact I've never seen the abbreviated form with an accent, on either side of the Atlantic, so no loss of face for either of you.

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2011, 04:10:58 PM »

@TomB: Regarding the UK/GB thing, strictly speaking I live in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. The "Great Britain" bit by the way isn't national glory-grabbing, but simply to distinguish this island from "Little Britain", now called (by us) Brittany. This became necessary from the fourth century onwards when on the arrival of my ancestors, some of the aboriginals felt that they had to decamp to what is now, called "Wales" and others moved to northern Gaul. "Wales" by the way, in Saxon, means "the place of the foreigners", but the inhabitants give it a much nobler name - Cymru.

Chris.

PS - I call them all melodeons, justto be awkward.
C.

And in any case, a lot of us are Welsh , because it means 'foreigner' - which applies to 99.9% of people who live in England (not just Rees....)  ;D

And I call them all 'boxes' , to be even more different!
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2011, 06:08:06 PM »

And in any case, a lot of us are Welsh , because it means 'foreigner' - which applies to 99.9% of people who live in England (not just Rees....)  ;D

Eh? I might be missing the point, but it's ludicrous to say that 99.9% of people who live in England are foreigners.

1) the concept of a nationality is a relatively recent one in human history, arguably as is that of an ethnic group. We are encouraged by our society to amplify differences between cultures and see them as fundamental differences between people.
2) Even if we accept the concept of a nationality I don't think that there has been a true population replacement in England since the anglo-saxon invasion and even that some scholars have cast doubt over. Most invasions have been replacing the uppermost caste, leaving the people at the bottom still at the bottom (but alive).
3) Even if there have been such population clearances, there are millions of us now and where are those that would replace us should we depart in humility at our invasive actions? The Magyars have occupied Hungary for less than the anglo-saxons have occupied England, should they leave? Nationhood is a recent concept and most nations are young.

Anyway, I appreciate that was a joke, but it's an interesting subject matter.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #86 on: October 06, 2011, 06:18:16 PM »

I'm of mixed race - Warwickshire, Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire......oh, yes, and Yorkshire!  :|glug
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2011, 01:59:09 AM »

.. the Palastinians had to  ???

My girlfriend is Israeli, so that is a problem that I've devoted a lot of thought to. I can see why the state of Israel was formed and why it was necessary to do so. I don't see why the palestinians were forced out in the way that they were. I don't see why Israel doesn't halt settlement building in the West Bank. I don't understand why Palestinians have targeted school buses with rockets. I don't understand why Palestine insists on the right of return to Israel (not just to the Palestinian territories) and I don't understand why they don't acknowledge the right of Israel to continue existing. I don't understand why there isn't peace, but I can understand that it will take a while coming.

Also, if I'm pernickity, my point was that if the Angles moved out of Britain then it would be empty. Israel filled up quickly by a people that had been shunned and persecuted against continuously all over the world for centuries, culminating in the largest mass murder seen in recent history.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 02:10:54 AM by ukebert »
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2011, 08:53:35 AM »

This topic now well off-topic and closed for further discussion
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal