Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: An English Question  (Read 8634 times)

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
Re: An English Question
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2011, 11:01:07 AM »

This maybe a good one for Clive, tune of the month, one culture played as another.  Maybe this already exists on Youtube (everything else does !!)

We've already had that, it was called "Morris Tunes" ;)
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

george garside

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2011, 11:09:24 AM »

.  A recent offering on melnet had The Cliff as an A part and Harvest home for the B part with a claim of the whole having been recently written.  I don't believe there is any malice in such claims just they have no recall of how the tune got in their head.

So, it must all be about how else does !!)

I have written a few tunes like that myself only to be disapointed when somedy says ' thats such and such a tune  - bugger - back to the drawing bnoard!

george :(
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2011, 11:13:45 AM »

We've already had that, it was called "Morris Tunes" ;)
LOL  ;D
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

Graeme

• Regular debater
  • BCC#, BC, moothie & steering wheel
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2011, 12:39:45 PM »

It seems that by straying into provenance, the old rivalries of ownership have raised their ugly heads again.

If we leave out Irish and Scotts we are still left with Welsh, Northumbrian, East Anglian, Devonian and other regions of England (Opps, sorry Wales) who all play in different styles.  The tunes are of course in many cases arguable as to where they originated as we see in many threads on this site.  People who learnt in isolation before the internet etc often remembered snatches of a tune which they then pieced together.  A recent offering on melnet had The Cliff as an A part and Harvest home for the B part with a claim of the whole having been recently written.  I don't believe there is any malice in such claims just they have no recall of how the tune got in their head.

So, it must all be about how the tune is played which raises the further question of if an trad celtic tune is played in an English style how is it classified?

This maybe a good one for Clive, tune of the month, one culture played as another.  Maybe this already exists on Youtube (everything else does !!)

Don't forget propriety  ;D Whoever the Scotts are please include the Scots!  ; >:E

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2011, 06:09:33 PM »

Don't forget propriety  ;D Whoever the Scotts are please include the Scots!  ; >:E
Another Opps it's not just Wales I've offended :|bl  and me a Jardine from Ayrshire
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2011, 11:17:29 PM »

And a lot of the Scotts are English and proud of it! My mum's family have been in York for several centuries now, so I will be offended as well if that's all right with you Graeme.  ;D
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2011, 09:56:26 AM »

Offended people - please form an orderly queue here  ;D

Lyn

• Respected Sage
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2011, 10:11:05 AM »

As a Scouser can I say I am PERMANENTLY outraged and offended- even when not wearing my shell-suit. I am lining up in hopeful anticipation of being insulted.
saltarelle nuage DG

Castagnari Mory DG

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2011, 10:13:02 AM »

I didn't know there were any melodeons in Liverpool  ???

ron1

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2011, 11:36:27 AM »

Speaking of good looking boxes and although i have never played them, I do like the look of the Castagnaris and similar boxes. If only I could afford. To get my hands on one of these would be great.
Again I have not played, but pictures I have seen of the Hohner Pokerworks, they do look rather "boxy"
Then again, maybe I haven't lived yet and need experience, lol

Lyn

• Respected Sage
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2011, 12:41:52 PM »

I should imagine there are several melodeons in Liverpool - it's a very musical city and always has been. However, I am exiled in Norfolk! (From the sublime to the ridiculous 8))
saltarelle nuage DG

Castagnari Mory DG

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2011, 01:59:11 PM »

I should imagine there are several melodeons in Liverpool - it's a very musical city and always has been. However, I am exiled in Norfolk! (From the sublime to the ridiculous 8))

I'm trying VERY hard to resist the temptation.....one of my best friends is a Scouser and she'd laugh, but I'd better not risk offending anyone!

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal