Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BC Accordion with 21 vs 23 buttons  (Read 3480 times)

MandoC

• Respected Sage
    • Swing Dogs Contra Dance Band
BC Accordion with 21 vs 23 buttons
« on: December 24, 2010, 02:44:09 AM »

I have three BC accordions all with 21 treble buttons. I have never played one with 23 buttons. I was wondering what players think of 23 button models.  Is it worth it to purchase a 23 button model over a 21 button model when there is a choice (such as in a Cairdin mini?) I have also noticed that the Saltarelle Bouebe has 23 buttons.  Maybe I am asking a dumb question, but I am willing to take the ridicule if there is some kernal of information to be gained by asking it. Thanks in advance.  Charlie
Charlie Hunt
Mandolins and now, B/C Button Accordion)

Swing Dogs Contra Dance Band, Facebook Page:https://www.facebook.com/SwingDogs

Kautilya

Re: BC Accordion with 21 vs 23 buttons
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 02:38:29 PM »

I have three BC accordions all with 21 treble buttons. I have never played one with 23 buttons. I was wondering what players think of 23 button models.  Is it worth it to purchase a 23 button model over a 21 button model when there is a choice (such as in a Cairdin mini?) I have also noticed that the Saltarelle Bouebe has 23 buttons.  Maybe I am asking a dumb question, but I am willing to take the ridicule if there is some kernal of information to be gained by asking it. Thanks in advance.  Charlie
Excellent question needing another expert to reply. I asked the same question recently and was told to forget buttons and go for a zip as it was quicker and warmer in this kind of weather.  Fat lot of use that was.... ;) ;)
ps - I  have just, literally, discovered the advantage of some extra buttons (25 in total) including at the bottom end and on half row for cross row playing of a couple of xmas carols. Saved me a lot of struggling to find notes elswhere when forced to transpose (tho on a CF not a BC).

george garside

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 04:02:30 PM »

I would go for 23 button everytime i.e  C on 4th button. & low C/F  on the  1st button  (BCbox). I ;also think 23 buttons on DG CF etc very worthwhile.  The saving in weight & cost of having only 21 buttons iis very little.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

tedrick

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 05:05:12 PM »

Hi Charlie -
you do get a few more low notes with the 23 - high end is the same -

for me with the Irish tunes, I play, I don't believe there are any tunes that I need any notes lower than the low A on the pull of a 21 --

so one benefit of a 21 is size/weight -

Are you playing the Saltarelle Swift?

Reed

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 06:10:07 PM »

23 buttons - good for C#/D because you need 11 buttons on your D row to get low G on the lowest button. Not so necessary on B/C because you already have low G on the last-but-one button of a 21-button box. An extra button could be useful if you wanted to play certain tunes in C#/D style, though.

sandwich

• Good talker
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 07:26:07 PM »

Would there be any difference in volume? Given that 23 buttons makes the box that little bit bigger, does it create more sound?

george garside

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 09:03:19 PM »

No! but 23 buttons always  preferable to 21  whatever the tuning.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

tedrick

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 10:43:49 PM »

I can see if you're really good at chords on the right hand the extra notes on the low end could be helpful -
but I personally am all about light weightiness - so if you don't need them save the ounces and grams -

most higher end boxes are just standard 23 - you have to go out of your way for a 21 treble box - for me right now the 21 is worth it - maybe someday I'll grow up into a big boy's box  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal