Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Am I thick or just clumsy?  (Read 8975 times)

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
Re: Am I thick or just clumsy?
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2008, 01:33:34 PM »

... taught 11 people to play a passable version of Jump at the Sun...

[digression mode on]Shudder... You should be impeached for that. I never liked the piece and played it to death in a dance band I was a member of in the 1970s. That tune is one of the reasons I was glad to leave England. I thought I had heard the last of it until... nearly 20 years later it came back to haunt me. Somebody returned to Montreal from a visit to the St. Chartier festival with the thing, and worse, a small number of players have latched on to it.

Amusingly, when I asked the perpertrator where she had got the accursed thing, she told me it was called "John Patterson"  ;D

This was the same girl who once told me she had been listening to a great fiddler called Martinez. Took me a minute to work that one out, and 10 minutes to stop laughing after.[digression mode off]

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2008, 02:16:10 PM »

strange, JK actually did shudder !!
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

Alison Scott

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Oakwood, Dino Baffetti, Roma, Liliput, Streb etc.
    • Macadamia
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2008, 03:12:33 PM »

Thanks for all the good answers everyone. I should confess to having had my tongue a little in my cheek when I originally posted; I do have 'down' moments, but mostly I just keep working through them.

I wanted to elicit some thoughts and reactions; and we might want to store this thread as an answer to one of the questions in our not-yet-written FAQ.

Bill the Farmer

• Not quite so
  • Respected Sage
  • Hohner Club, Liliput...
    • Bill Farmer
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2008, 04:59:36 PM »

I wanted to elicit some thoughts and reactions; and we might want to store this thread as an answer to one of the questions in our not-yet-written FAQ.
Thank you, Alison, for picking up the FAQ idea. I thought I was nearly alone in the wilderness  ::)
Bill of Old Shoreham Town

Fi

• A Saltarelle Connemara II and a few Hohners...
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2008, 12:56:16 PM »

Well, I haven't been in here for ages, and also I haven't really played for ages either.

I took the box to morris last night and I seem to have regressed to how I played after I'd been playing for about a year, or possibly worse  (I've been at it for longer than that, even managed to play solo for a couple of dances with my old side!). Found I had fingers all over the place, basses non existent, lack of ability to breathe and play simultaneously etc etc  :(

It's all a bit dispiriting really...I'm hoping if I can be manage to play for half an hour or so each day an ability to play tolerably ok may come back (I'll have to have a word with the little chap and see if I'm allowed ::)) or I'll have to take up the jangly bottle cap stick instead!

Bill the Farmer

• Not quite so
  • Respected Sage
    • Bill Farmer
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2008, 01:26:41 PM »

It's all a bit dispiriting really...I'm hoping if I can be manage to play for half an hour or so each day an ability to play tolerably ok may come back (I'll have to have a word with the little chap and see if I'm allowed ::)) or I'll have to take up the jangly bottle cap stick instead!

It's called a Lagerphone.  ;D

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2008, 01:40:06 PM »

Bl00dy odd! I have not heard of Lagerphones for years and years until in the last few weeks there was a group* on Folk on Two who used one, a bloke at a local folk club sang a Wurzel's song whilst accompanying himself with one and now they turn up here.

Can't remember who they were but the line up was Accordion, Banjo and Lagerphone, the three instruments on the top of my hate list but it sounded really good  :o

Dazbo

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Danger MAD Here!
    • My YouTube Channel for melodeons, morris and folk in general
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2008, 02:19:08 PM »

isn't the lagerphone another aussie import we've (here in the UK) got to thank the Sainted Rolf Harris for?
Ciao Bellow

Darren

Bill the Farmer

• Not quite so
  • Respected Sage
    • Bill Farmer
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2008, 02:24:15 PM »

Bl00dy odd! I have not heard of Lagerphones for years and years until in the last few weeks there was a group* on Folk on Two who used one, a bloke at a local folk club sang a Wurzel's song whilst accompanying himself with one and now they turn up here.

Can't remember who they were but the line up was Accordion, Banjo and Lagerphone, the three instruments on the top of my hate list but it sounded really good  :o

One of the dancers in our ladies side hurt her foot, and dug out the side 'instrument' a couple of years ago. She was very good on it. Very important is the knackered kiddies trainer on the bottom, and the small axe handle to play it with. Also some German walking stick enamelled badges nailed on.

Waltham

• Regular debater
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2008, 02:26:12 PM »

The name's an Aussie import, but the instrument's been around much longer.  When you hear a Jingling Johnny (as they're called round these parts of 'Ampshire) played really well it's wonderful, far too often they're badly played by people who assume there's nothing to it.  Bit like melodeons really.

Fi

• A Saltarelle Connemara II and a few Hohners...
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2008, 05:42:50 PM »

Well you know I never knew it had a proper name! We call ours the BootStick as it has a small child's purple (our colours) DM Boot on the end (instead of a knackered trainer... )

Simon W

• Regular debater
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2008, 01:03:45 PM »

isn't the lagerphone another aussie import we've (here in the UK) got to thank the Sainted Rolf Harris for?

Might be German - there are some right fancy models made by this accordion maker
http://www.schneeberg-harmonika.de/Teufelsgeige/
Bit more expensive than a broomstick and some bottle caps though!

Simon

Peter G

• Regular debater
  • Hohner Pokerwork, Castagnari Tommy
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2008, 01:58:25 PM »

I was under the impression that the lagerphone was an Australian invention , having encounterd it there when I emigrated in the 70s It was played with immense skill by a bloke in the Bushwackers band- the best performances I saw live depended on notches cut into the vertical bit so it could also be played like a washboard extending its versatility
I think the band in question on R2 may have been the Groanbox boys, whom I saw at Burnham on Sea recently. Amazing and well worth seeing. (thoroughly inspiring for someone new to the squeezebox, but not quite so much as Mary from the Bag of Rats whom I thank for the free advice afterwards.
Re practising I'm very new to all this but I am aware that in meditation practice a period when everything goes pear shaped after a period of progression is seen as a sign that a major step forward is about to occur, so if suddenly you feel you are back at square one , hang on in there, don't lose trust and enjoy the forthcoming  benfits of your endeavours!
Best wishes to all
Pete
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal