Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Come on Melnetters!  (Read 11616 times)

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
Re: Come on Melnetters!
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 08:57:33 AM »

perhaps we can have a 'recently learned tunes' section  ???

Isn't this covered by "recordings and videos"?

On the other hand, if we had a place specifically for posting our own (other than TOTM) recordings, it might encourage everyone a bit more.
"Shameless Self-promotion" for the rest of us ?
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 10:17:02 AM »

I do like to subscribe to regular TOTM & ThOTM contributers too...so I can see any other non TOTM music videos.

Anyone have trouble with youtube 'unsubscribing' you from channels randomly?

**DTN**

• Derek The Nutter
  • Respected Sage
  • Derek The Nutter
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2011, 10:29:00 AM »

ok ok ..i've done one! (but not time for a vid)  ;D
All the gear and no idea! .... DTN   "Hampshire UK"

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2011, 11:33:57 AM »

Me too - see - Theme of The Month
ISIS Melodeon, Hohner Erica,  Fender Strat Plus, Takamine, Hofner Violin Bass, Hohner CX12 Harmonica, etc.... Website: https://folk-music.uk

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2011, 12:29:53 PM »

I'm probably looking in the wrong place but has anyone posted a 'how to place a vid clip on youtube'.  I'm good on audio tech but singularly non techy on things like youtube.

Secondly I have a phobia about social networking sites (with good reason from what I read) so my first hurdle is I don't want to identify myself to an organisation like youtube.

Two separate issues I know with the first one being the easiest to overcome.

There's lots of advice round the website about the technical stuff. FWIW I record the vid on my camera, drag it into Windows Live Movie Maker and 'upload' on my account in YouTube. I could probably drag the camera vid straight on but I like to 'trim the edges' first. On your second point, you don't need to reveal your identity to viewers on YouTube - most of us post under pseudonyms - mine's the same as on here. If you do open an account, double check your privacy settings to make sure your email address isn't public - I think mine was at first as I didn't alter the defaults. Look forward to hearing/seeing you soon.  (:)

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2011, 12:32:02 PM »

I'm probably looking in the wrong place but has anyone posted a 'how to place a vid clip on youtube'.  I'm good on audio tech but singularly non techy on things like youtube.

Secondly I have a phobia about social networking sites (with good reason from what I read) so my first hurdle is I don't want to identify myself to an organisation like youtube.

Two separate issues I know with the first one being the easiest to overcome.

On your second point, you don't need to reveal your identity to viewers on YouTube - most of us post under pseudonyms - mine's the same as on here. If you do open an account, double check your privacy settings to make sure your email address isn't public - I think mine was at first as I didn't alter the defaults. Look forward to hearing/seeing you soon.  (:)
Just chop your head off or wear a disguise. ;)

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2011, 01:56:43 PM »

Putting a clip on YouTube is simple once you have the video on your computer, but you do have to open an account with YouTube (which means a Google account now) to be allowed to upload, which is fair enough.

I don't like social networking sites: I gave up on MySpace after a few years and I gave up on Facebook after a couple of weeks, but YouTube isn't like that and I'm quite happy with it. You can send messages, comment on videos, have "friends" and subscribers but... well, melnet is more of a social networking site than YouTube, and we're all apparently comfortable with that. I think all YouTube needs is your email address.

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2011, 06:03:10 PM »

Thanks Mcgrooger and Anahata.  I was definitely more concerned about the security of Youtube than the tech aspect.  I'll be giving it a go.  Maybe a few weeks as I still have to learn the editing software as well.

Martin
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2011, 12:55:22 AM »

I have total admiration for those who are working and still manage to post TOTM s......amazing !!  8)

I do struggle to play much in the school holidays.  September should be better !....but I want to come up with something in the next week hopefully, even if it's a sound clip.

cheers
Sandy

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2011, 07:58:05 AM »

I have total admiration for those who are working and still manage to post TOTM s......amazing !!  8)

:|bl flattered as I am (if any of that was supposed to apply to me) I should admit mine is a 4-day job, and my lovely wife having retired feels duty-bound to deal with domestic stuff, and we don't have children young enough to still be living with us...

I want to come up with something in the next week hopefully, even if it's a sound clip.
I'm looking forward to that.

Incidentally, one of the tunes I need to get out of my system is Mrs Saggs - it's been a bit of a ToTM for me - you've put it on You Tube, someone played it in our Sunday session, then our "English music session" friends in Cambridge, Ontario played it and gave me a rather inaccurate transcription, a melnet discussion was revived last week and finally I had to buy a copy of Andy Cutting's recording.

The other is My Lord Cutt's Delight which came up for discussion on another forum after a YouTube video was spotted of Robert Harbron and friends playing it.

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2011, 10:46:43 AM »

Thanks Mcgrooger and Anahata.  I was definitely more concerned about the security of Youtube than the tech aspect.  I'll be giving it a go.  Maybe a few weeks as I still have to learn the editing software as well.

Martin

YouTube is great.  Just make sure that you edit each video you upload.  I have mine so that comments can only be shown with my approval. Also make sure that you allow videos to be "available on mobile phones and TV".  Otherwise people with iPads won't be able to view them.  I've made loads of friends worldwide via YouTube.
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG, Hohner 4 stop in C

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2011, 11:29:04 AM »

Incidentally, one of the tunes I need to get out of my system is Mrs Saggs - it's been a bit of a ToTM for me - you've put it on You Tube, someone played it in our Sunday session, then our "English music session" friends in Cambridge, Ontario played it and gave me a rather inaccurate transcription, a melnet discussion was revived last week and finally I had to buy a copy of Andy Cutting's recording.

I've been playing this recently too. Mine is a long way from the original as I only had the melody after Lester played it R.H. at our Adderbury session a few years ago). So no given chords and I hadn't heard the Cutting arrangement until fairly recently. Part of me is trying to stick with my drone arr. as it's an example of how folk music truly evolves without the use of technology...but how can I not now move towards the Cutting version?..beautiful. (Wood Cutting is one of my favourite CD's)  I now also wish to hear John Kirkpatrick's and Sue Harris's version.

Back on track...might have a 'Mrs Saggs' for duets/collaborations th.o.t.m. soon

cheers
Sandy
 (:)

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2011, 10:37:18 PM »

Also posted to the "Mrs Saggs" Thread... as promised:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv2LkaxLOw4

birchy

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2011, 11:17:25 AM »

I've been lurking here for several months.  I have been promising myself to contribute to TOTM but it is a bit daunting when you haven't been playing very long! 

If and when I do post however, I think one of the reasons for doing it would be to obtain some constructive criticism and suggestions from those posting here.  I think that one problem is that the whole world can see you on youtube and may wonder why you're posting if it's not a terribly accomplished performance!

Anyway, I hope to have a go soon!

David

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2011, 11:21:57 AM »

I've been lurking here for several months.  I have been promising myself to contribute to TOTM but it is a bit daunting when you haven't been playing very long! 

If and when I do post however, I think one of the reasons for doing it would be to obtain some constructive criticism and suggestions from those posting here.  I think that one problem is that the whole world can see you on youtube and may wonder why you're posting if it's not a terribly accomplished performance!

David
Little tip when you upload look at privacy option. Choose 'Unlisted'. That way only the people who have the direct link can see it.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2011, 11:10:08 PM »

David

Hello David,

Welcome to the forum. I have 'performance issues' which means I have developed the equivalent of 'stage fright' after spending over thirty years performing in public. It's a silly thing really and incredibly embarrassing. The common sense side of me encourages you to post, the fact that others can see you on Youtube isn't an issue, if the content isn't of interest the viewer will move on. Nobody on this forum will do anything other than post sound advice. O.K. you may not ( >:E) be pronounced a genius on your first post, you may even be told your performance is really poor (that'd be a first) but what you will get is honest, sound advice about your playing and genuine suggestions about how to move things along. Melnet is the home of gentle encouragement  (:)
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

birchy

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2011, 11:52:10 AM »

Thanks!  I'll probably give Oh Joe a go this month. I'll look forward to your comments!

David

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2011, 12:49:02 PM »

Thanks!  I'll probably give Oh Joe a go this month. I'll look forward to your comments!

David
Good lad, Birchy! ;D

Kautilya

« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2011, 11:48:02 PM »

David
Good lad, Birchy! ;D
In response to the  call across the Glens, here is a mixed bag (high quality of course) which was a special toong (song and tune)performance for two Japanese housewives from Tokyo visiting London and who stepped by chance into The George’s September’s Squeeze and Scrape and were warmly welcomed by Chris Shaw our melodeon-leader host.

As we were only 100 yards from the Thames the toong chosen for them was a no-brainer. Words dug out of the bag were passed around for folk to sing along and several punters joined in (indeed one seems to try to take over the toong!) and much fun was had by all.

It is partly a response to June’s TOTM of duets or more, and you may be able to pick out  (despite fact mic has caused some waxing and waning) two melodeons (incl a Liliput), one tina, an accordion, bass sax, a unique, handbuilt, modern “mediaeval guitar, tin whistle and tambour, clarinet, about five violins and perhaps the regular cello and one of our two regular hurdy gurdies.

Perhaps a Zoom2 would avoid the waxing and waning.

As per Theo’s thorts, it gained by being quite unplanned and the Japanese were enraptured and could not stop bowing.
Sound only - no pics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spUeZGnXW8k

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2011, 03:38:23 PM »

@Kautilya - you'll probably get more people to hear it if  you put it on ThOTM or 'Recordings and Videos'. Mcg.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal