Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Invasive tunes - they won't go away!  (Read 2710 times)

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
Invasive tunes - they won't go away!
« on: August 17, 2011, 09:29:07 AM »

For once, I plugged into my ipod whilst on hols and Banquet of Boxes started.... 'Gerry the Frog', 'George Green's College Horpipe' etc.... then I had to unplug and go on and do other things.
Little did I know, I'd infected myself with these!
Driving along they'd appear in the brain; whilst lazing in the sun ( well, it was France  :D ) they'd pop up; trying to read a book - they'd start again, even waking up one night......
As it was a family holiday and they'd suffered the first year of me starting up melodeon it seemd a wise move to leave it at home so I couldn't 'deal with them' by trying to learn them. I find that's a sure fire way to remove a tune from your mind - actually try and play it!
I'm at home now, trying a rudimentary attempt at these tunes, and for once they're still in my brain. The trouble is, they won't quite travel down to the fingers. There seems to be a lot going on within the tunes that I can't quite work out. Also, they have eradicated everything else in my headspace, and muscled in on my plan of learning other tunes.

I think recently, Anahata called such things 'earworms', and in another topic entitled 'things getting in the way of learning', someone said 'tunes'. I now understand!
Is it just me that gets brain overload at time when a tune gets it's hooks into you?
Even more infuriating when I can't work them out.
hey ho
:|||:
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
Re: Invasive tunes - they won't go away!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 10:26:38 AM »

Know what you mean.  Bought Fréd Paris's Carnet de Bal cassette on my 4th trip to St Chartier (84), left the village to drive into Burgundy ...  with it going full blast.

The iron oxide has long since turned to dust. But even now as I drive through the Berrichon sunflower fields I hear him play in my head.
  _       _    _      _ 

rmenhinick

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 10:40:38 AM »

You have my sympathy ... and I could do with a bit in return ... having heard the amazing Pete Coe's version of "Penny for the Ploughboys" I can't get the blasted chorus out of my head and find myself humming it whenever my brain goes into neutral.

I've tried to exorcise it by learning the song, but although I can play the tune well enough, I can't find a complete set of lyrics so the incantation has so far failed! :(
Old G Poker, New DG Poker, ADG Compadre, DG Sandpiper, CF Erica, GC Delicia Popular, DG Dino Baffetti Black Pearl 3, Casali Verona 48 bass PA, (Squeezebox Squirrel :D)

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 11:57:21 AM »

The positive thing about being overwhelmed by a tune is that when you eventually can get to an instrument, it's often 'at your fingertips' so you've sort of pre-learnt it, you just have to push the right buttons.
The negative thing is when you tune in your head doesn't match the buttons  :P
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Lyn

• Respected Sage
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 12:44:09 PM »

I always have a none-stop loop of music in my head after I've been to a workshop or session. I often wake up with a tune in my head. What is worrying is my other half told me last week I was singing in my sleep! Dearie me. Still it's better than the low rumbling racket he makes. (Snoring, I mean! ::))
saltarelle nuage DG

Castagnari Mory DG

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 12:48:57 PM »

Lyn, I know exactly what you mean!
On hols, I awoke at some ungodly hour as it was swealtering and....bang! the opening chords of those previous tunes blasted my brain trying to waken me.
Luckinly I drifted back off to sleep without humming  :Ph
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 01:50:09 PM »

I had it happen when I was trying to memorise Cheshire Waltz - Tune of the month
ISIS Melodeon, Hohner Erica,  Fender Strat Plus, Takamine, Hofner Violin Bass, Hohner CX12 Harmonica, etc.... Website: https://folk-music.uk

rmenhinick

• Regular debater
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 03:09:21 PM »

A related, and similarly irritating phenomenon is when you are trying to play a tune and a similar tune keeps popping in to distract you! This is especially disturbing when playing for Morris dancing and you end up playing the "A" part of one tune with the "B" part of another! ???
Old G Poker, New DG Poker, ADG Compadre, DG Sandpiper, CF Erica, GC Delicia Popular, DG Dino Baffetti Black Pearl 3, Casali Verona 48 bass PA, (Squeezebox Squirrel :D)

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 03:14:53 PM »

I watched a couple of episodes of horrible histories....kinda got hooked on them. and some of the 'songs' are now stuck in my head.

Song about Dick Turpin (Got a li'l crush on the singer ;) )
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlwDrpTq2Mo
'I'm a ruthless highwayman...nothing dandy about me....'

Charles II - king of bling
http://youtu.be/P2kyNbZc7oc

And of course the kings & queens song
http://youtu.be/qkzxXLRjojM
The problem with that one is my brain gets all the right names...but not necessarily in the right order. ;)

« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 03:19:58 PM by ladydetemps »

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 03:35:16 PM »

having heard the amazing Pete Coe's version of "Penny for the Ploughboys"
although I can play the tune well enough, I can't find a complete set of lyrics so the incantation has so far failed! :(

http://www.hedinghamfair.co.uk/hedingham_fair_books.htm

The song was written by Colin Cater. It's in the book (lyrics and tune) and on the CD (Colin singing, with assembled masses of Essex folkies joining in the chorus at the Three Horseshoes, Duton Hill)
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 04:41:03 PM »

" especially disturbing when playing for Morris dancing and you end up playing the "A" part of one tune with the "B" part of another! ..."
and a bit of a b*gger for those dancing and trying to make the dance fit the tune  >:E
.....but we've all been there.
I find as long as you buy a round for the dancers at the next possible moment, it soon fades in the memory, only to be revived when that first pint is ending  ;D
Q
taking the dancers' viewpoint  :M
Thrupenny Bit

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal