Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Easy ABC  (Read 17460 times)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Easy ABC
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2011, 05:30:11 PM »

With the version of Word for Windows that I have you don't even need CutePDF or equivalent - Word allows you to Save As pdf. Simples!

Only useful for saving Word docs. I use Libre Office which allows saving as pdfs but would not solve he pdfing of tunes from an ABC programme.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2011, 05:39:36 PM »

I have a suspicion that Windows 7 has a built in pdf creator.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2011, 05:49:22 PM »

Nope

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2011, 06:01:38 PM »

Nope

Another small reason to be glad not to use Windows!  >:E
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2011, 06:27:58 PM »

Nope

Another small reason to be glad not to use Windows!  >:E

With Windows you have the choice of many ABC programmes, with Mac I think there is BarFly that does not work with the new OS. Not sure how that is better than Windows.

Posted fom my iPad  ;)

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2011, 06:37:03 PM »

Pete, if I was to use Explorer rather than Navigator, how do I import my existing tunes to it? As I said in the original post, I couldn't find them when I tried Easy ABC. I've never understood where they sit - if I search my computer for a tune title it only finds examples of the title in Word files etc. and not tunes saved with Navigator. Sorry for being so thick!

This one's nice and easy to answer! Anything that Navigator will read is in a plain text file saved with the extension .abc and so it follows that all of your tunes are within small files in your documents folder. Click the start button > go to My Documents > at the top right of the window is a search box type the following into the box:

*.abc

The resulting list shows the files where your abc music is stored. It makes life a lot easier if you create a new folder called ABC and move the files you've found into that folder so they're all together. To open an ABC file in ABC Explorer click > File > Open local file > navigate to the ABC folder and chose the file you wish to open.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2011, 06:40:34 PM »

With Windows you have the choice of many ABC programmes, with Mac I think there is BarFly that does not work with the new OS. Not sure how that is better than Windows.
Posted fom my iPad  ;)

Erm, the subject of this thread is a program called Easy ABC. It can be downloaded for Windows or Mac ...  ::)
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2011, 06:43:50 PM »

Posted fom my iPad  ;)

Erm, the subject of this thread is a program called Easy ABC. It can be downloaded for Windows or Mac ...  ::)

Oppps  ;D

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2011, 06:47:48 PM »

It may even work on an iPad  :|glug
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2011, 06:52:32 PM »

It may even work on an iPad  :|glug

Na, Tunebook is the weapon of choice for an iPad.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2011, 07:38:04 PM »

With Windows you have the choice of many ABC programmes, with Mac I think there is BarFly that does not work with the new OS.

The Linux tools should work on Mac OS. RunABC and abcm2ps have a OSX versions, for example.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2011, 01:08:38 AM »

with Mac I think there is BarFly that does not work with the new OS.
Sadly, you are correct, Lester. BarFly will not run on the latest Mac OS 10.7 'Lion'.  :(
This is because Barfly was written for Apple's PowerPC processors. When Intel processors came in (Mac OS 10.4.4 and higher) Apple included Rosetta, a translator/compiler in the OS which enabled PowerPC programs to run on Intel-based Macs. Now with OS 10.7, Rosetta has been discontinued (why, I don't know) so there will be quite a few bits of software, not just BarFly, which will no longer run. There's been some criticism as a consequence and maybe Apple can be persuaded to reintroduce Rosetta, but I'm not holding my breath. Meanwhile I will be sticking to earlier versions of the OS. I am doing quite nicely with OS 10.4, thank you very much.  (:)

Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Simon

• Respected Sage
  • Serenellini Selli C/F and Gold98 G/C
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2011, 08:17:33 AM »

there will be quite a few bits of software, not just BarFly, which will no longer run.
Yet another reason to use open source software  ;)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2011, 08:21:24 AM »

there will be quite a few bits of software, not just BarFly, which will no longer run.

Or windows  ;)

Alison Scott

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Oakwood, Dino Baffetti, Roma, Liliput, Streb etc.
    • Macadamia
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2011, 05:45:39 PM »

Now with OS 10.7, Rosetta has been discontinued (why, I don't know) so there will be quite a few bits of software, not just BarFly, which will no longer run. There's been some criticism as a consequence and maybe Apple can be persuaded to reintroduce Rosetta, but I'm not holding my breath. Meanwhile I will be sticking to earlier versions of the OS. I am doing quite nicely with OS 10.4, thank you very much.  (:)

OK. It's not that Rosetta's just a program, that Apple can ship or not as they choose. Previous versions of OS10 had the internal gubbins (technical term) to run both Intel-optomised code and PowerPC-optomised code. Rosetta then sat on top of that helping the system run the PowerPC programs. Lion is faster and cleaner precisely because they've stripped out all the PowerPC stuff. So it will never run any PowerPC programs.

Unless you need or want the new features of Lion, there's no reason to upgrade at the moment. Eventually some fantastic Lion-only thing will come along, but it hasn't yet. Anyone who does decide to upgrade should use System Profiler to make sure they know exactly what PowerPC stuff they're running and work out an alternative.

I'm using the alpha of Tunebook which is linked to from this discussion on the Session. http://www.thesession.org/discussions/display/28068

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2011, 12:51:33 PM »

Pete, if I was to use Explorer rather than Navigator, how do I import my existing tunes to it? As I said in the original post, I couldn't find them when I tried Easy ABC. I've never understood where they sit - if I search my computer for a tune title it only finds examples of the title in Word files etc. and not tunes saved with Navigator. Sorry for being so thick!

This one's nice and easy to answer! Anything that Navigator will read is in a plain text file saved with the extension .abc and so it follows that all of your tunes are within small files in your documents folder. Click the start button > go to My Documents > at the top right of the window is a search box type the following into the box:

*.abc

The resulting list shows the files where your abc music is stored. It makes life a lot easier if you create a new folder called ABC and move the files you've found into that folder so they're all together. To open an ABC file in ABC Explorer click > File > Open local file > navigate to the ABC folder and chose the file you wish to open.

Pete - thank you very much for your help and apologies for contributing to the highjacking of a thread that was about different software. I discovered something odd about the way tunes are automatically saved by Navigator and I think I've found a way round it which will help me to do some organising of my motley selection of abc tunes and would also help if I try using some of the alternative software available. Ta lots!  ;D

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2011, 01:31:48 PM »

OK. It's not that Rosetta's just a program, that Apple can ship or not as they choose. Previous versions of OS10 had the internal gubbins (technical term) to run both Intel-optomised code and PowerPC-optomised code. Rosetta then sat on top of that helping the system run the PowerPC programs. Lion is faster and cleaner precisely because they've stripped out all the PowerPC stuff. So it will never run any PowerPC programs.

Unless you need or want the new features of Lion, there's no reason to upgrade at the moment. Eventually some fantastic Lion-only thing will come along, but it hasn't yet. Anyone who does decide to upgrade should use System Profiler to make sure they know exactly what PowerPC stuff they're running and work out an alternative.

I'm using the alpha of Tunebook which is linked to from this discussion on the Session. http://www.thesession.org/discussions/display/28068
Thanks for that very easy to understand explanation, Alison!  (:)
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Simon

• Respected Sage
  • Serenellini Selli C/F and Gold98 G/C
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2011, 04:48:40 PM »

Or windows  ;)
Not really.. I've got quite a few old windows programs that don't work with any windows version after '98 or something.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2011, 07:06:54 PM »

Pete - thank you very much for your help and apologies for contributing to the highjacking of a thread that was about different software. I discovered something odd about the way tunes are automatically saved by Navigator and I think I've found a way round it which will help me to do some organising of my motley selection of abc tunes and would also help if I try using some of the alternative software available. Ta lots!  ;D

I don't think the thread was being hijacked in any way, the question (and answer) would have been the same if you'd wanted to find and open files with Easy ABC. If you're stuck with anything ABC or computer related and need help do feel free to PM me on here or email me: peterdunk(AT)btinternet(DOT)co(DOT)uk and I'll do my best to help.

Pete.  ;D
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2011, 07:37:07 PM »

You're most kind sir. Have a virtual  :|glug on me! ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal