Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: lost enthusiasm  (Read 11347 times)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: lost enthusiasm
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2011, 08:52:20 AM »

i can feel some more practice coming on , im getting the urge back!  ;D
Great - that is most encouraging! I'm sure you will find your lack of enthusiasm is just a temporary blip. I look forward to seeing more of your Youtube videos in due course....

Also, thanks to everyone who has sent me PMs of support and encouragement regarding my Northumbrian pipes playing. Much appreciated!
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2011, 10:47:35 AM »

I've experienced this with my english concertina, picking it back up a couple of years back after about 20 years of little activity.
All sorts of factors can be involved. For me I'd plateaued badly and was questioning where I wanted to go with the english concertina, and tried Duet concertina for a while but that didn't click.
My playing dwindled....
There were also two major factors involved - availability for practise time, and availability of playing opportunities. Having moved house with it needing huge amounts of work on it, my spare time went to nothing, compounded then by my family starting up.
( though I did discover a remedy for colic in my newborn baby was to walk around with her strapped onto me and playing tunes seemed to quietened her, so that was a few months of regular playing! She has now taken up English Concertina and is a lovely player. Wonder why??  :D
Also, the opportunity to play out whether at a regular session or after dancing out also went. I would play a bit if an event or away weekend was in the offing, with the possibility of a sesssion happening, but little else. I'd no sensible tune books either, as there was a dearth of them around.
About 2 1/2 years back I was postering a local pub to dance there later in the week, and he mentioned a 'Rough Music' night and what he described was the start of a regular session. As it was only a mile away, I dragged myself along - and enjoyed it! At the same time long standing friends started another one, and.....I got playing again.
Then the melodeon thing caught me and with some new tune books at Christmas, I've been kick started again.

I do regret hardly playing for such a period of time, but on reflection, other things outside of my control had a profound effect on my spare time. I try not to beat myself up about lost time, and am glad I've got back to playing.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

sqwzboxstudent

• dartmoor / gypsy style
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2011, 04:16:43 PM »

heres a tune that made me want to play elvis after a week off!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93cMys70L7I

mory

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2011, 04:49:42 PM »

Glad you've pulled through  (:)  mory

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2011, 07:30:03 PM »

welcome back to (in )sanity  ;D
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2011, 07:46:03 PM »

Playing something like Fat Elvis must be tough....so much air being used...and no reponse a better box might be called for
ISIS Melodeon, Hohner Erica,  Fender Strat Plus, Takamine, Hofner Violin Bass, Hohner CX12 Harmonica, etc.... Website: https://folk-music.uk

sqwzboxstudent

• dartmoor / gypsy style
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2011, 08:20:28 PM »

tis the player thats un-responsive !!!

Marje

• Respected Sage
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2011, 08:25:38 PM »

Smash the Windows is a great tune, one of my faves too. I often play Seven Stars first, and then into Smash the Windows. If anything's going to lift your spirits, those two tunes will!

I'm just back from a 10-day holiday (melodeon-free) with the family. Today I had  very small operation done on my eyelid today - nothing serious, but having a local anaesthetic in the eyelid is no fun .... Anyway, when I got home I found it difficult to read or use the computer because of smeary ointment in my eye, and the eyelid being a bit droopy, and I felt all floppy, with no energy to tackle the garden or anything. Then I thought, "Music! I can play my melodeon without using my eye, and I haven't played for nearly two weeks!" I then had a very happy half-hour or more playing old and new tunes, and felt quite energised by the end of it.

Sometimes the most satisfying thing is just to play whatever comes into your head, all the old favourites. Other times, trying a completely new tune can absorb you totally in the music and draw  you back into it. Either way, I'm sure any lapse in enthusiasm is only temporary. Once this music is in your blood, you can't get away from it, and you'll always come back to it one way or another.
Marje

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2011, 08:39:23 PM »

Playing something like Fat Elvis must be tough....so much air being used...and no reponse a better box might be called for

Don't understand this Almo. Tommy's playing looks to be very controlled for a box with such a large sound, the bellows control is very good and the box is responding well.

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2011, 07:14:38 AM »

Don't understand this Almo. Tommy's playing looks to be very controlled for a box with such a large sound, the bellows control is very good and the box is responding well.

It's hard to tell without actually playing Elvis of course, but a change of box (or any instrument for that matter) can sometimes kick-start the enthusiasm and put the fun back into playing again. It's the thing about 'I wonder what this tune would sound like played on that box...?  ) on another box, that feels different or is in another key can work wonders for inspiration....

I have had boxes that are so frustrating to use or sound 'wrong' to my ears that I quickly got rid. For example I had a B/C Hohner Double Ray Black Dot - which I couldn't get my head around, and also a Salterelle which was 'swing' tuned and so wet that I just didn't want to play it as it always sounded out of tune.

Slight drift - when I bought a banjitar (six string banjo) it set me off trying tunes that I didn't know I could play, just because it sounded so unlike my normal guitars..

It's always good for me to try another box...

Alan
ISIS Melodeon, Hohner Erica,  Fender Strat Plus, Takamine, Hofner Violin Bass, Hohner CX12 Harmonica, etc.... Website: https://folk-music.uk

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2011, 02:18:34 PM »

Gabanelli's are certainly not lacking response Alan.  See this thread  Tom plays an entirely different style.
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2011, 02:32:24 PM »

Gabanelli's are certainly not lacking response Alan.  See this thread  Tom plays an entirely different style.

Still hard to tell - as diferent boxes from the same manufacturer can play differently, or something can happen to them in time...

For example (this will ruffle feathers) The old Castignari Tomy I had seemed to be a lot more positive and quick compared with recent ones.. (ducking for cover.... :Ph )

sqwzboxstudent

• dartmoor / gypsy style
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2011, 06:59:41 PM »

iv always played big heavy boxes , to be honest , my playing doesnt do elvis much justice!

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2011, 07:09:57 PM »

For example (this will ruffle feathers) The old Castignari Tomy I had seemed to be a lot more positive and quick compared with recent ones.. (ducking for cover.... :Ph )
Not at all.  My Dony is over twenty years old and is the best and most responsive box I've ever played but at one point some years ago I thought the new Dony's were poor.  Modern ones seem better if not quite as good as my ancient one.
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2011, 09:50:20 PM »

Sometimes the most satisfying thing is just to play whatever comes into your head, all the old favourites. Other times, trying a completely new tune can absorb you totally in the music and draw  you back into it. Either way, I'm sure any lapse in enthusiasm is only temporary. Once this music is in your blood, you can't get away from it, and you'll always come back to it one way or another.

Yes, quite so. I'm a little disappointed with myself that I've largely forsaken the guitar for the last couple of years after playing for most of the last 40 or so, but the love of music continues unabated albeit with different instruments and a rather different style.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Marje

• Respected Sage
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2011, 08:37:33 AM »

I also believe (without one scrap of solid evidence) that musical skills and appreciation are transferable: time that you spend listening, or singing, or playing different instruments all contribute to your musical development. So some time away from an instrument doesn't necessarily mean you'll lose any ground, as long as you're not cutting yourself off from music entirely.
Marje

sqwzboxstudent

• dartmoor / gypsy style
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2011, 03:56:02 PM »

another tune that got me back playing and i cant stop practicng is atholl highlanders! i love that tune.
i have thought about taking up another instrument, but i think for me its better to concentrate on one thing at a time!

Randal Scott

• Respected Sage
  • Western USA
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2011, 05:26:03 PM »

g-lad, I've seen your vids and you are a fine and most enjoyable player.  I've been everywhere with music in my life, and I presume that you are intimate with music as well.  Often this relationship with music requires other aspects to keep it viable -- a life driven by the arts can be most complex.

Some have totally succombed and been destroyed by it.  Not that there's anything particularly pernicious about music, but some personalities do not handle well things so potent as music and art.

Sometimes you have to get away from it.  Or, perhaps it is not enough.  Personally, I have to have a variety of instruments to express myself musically.  Do you sing?  Or play percussion?  The box is rather limited, musically.  I wonder which it is for you--too much, or too little?

sqwzboxstudent

• dartmoor / gypsy style
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2011, 09:51:47 PM »

thanks!

one thing is i get bored easily , so never realy get tunes so i can play them perfectly every time,
more like i have bits of tunes on the go all the time, start learning one then move on to another!
im happy just squeezin i dont REALY feel the need to explore other instruments
 :D

Randal Scott

• Respected Sage
  • Western USA
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2011, 09:54:20 PM »

Maybe more of an outlet then.  Do you play for dances, or other's enjoyment?

Frankly (although I do enjoy squeezing too :|glug every now and again), I find the box more entertaining for others.  I mean, perhaps others enjoy it more than me, and what I particularly enjoy about the box is its capacity to entertain..
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 09:57:45 PM by catty »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal