- 14 (22.2%)
Portsmouth
- 10 (15.9%)
Air for Maurice Ogg
- 18 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Voting closed: August 31, 2011, 11:55:03 PM

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Poll: Tune of the Month for September 2011  (Read 5281 times)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
Poll: Tune of the Month for September 2011
« on: August 24, 2011, 11:26:15 PM »

Here we are again folks!

Oh Joe the Boat is Going Over - last month's runner up, and a classic polka from East Anglia (in England); here is Gavin Atkin playing a nice clean version in D: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BoL07qRXGI

Rochdale Coconut Dance - another very popular session tune, and commonly played in a set with Three Around Three which we did a couple of months back. Here's your chance to learn 'the other tune'. It seems hard to find a video of this which isn't either a Bellowhead documentary (!) or played ridiculously fast (or both!), but here's a nice band version taken at a nice pace: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtUxDcp4XWE .

Portsmouth - we haven't had this one yet I think, can't imagine why not - it's a cracking tune. Here's Hector playing a nice version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs3CD9m9mzo . And because, if I don't mention it, someone else will, here's Mike Oldfield's poptastic version of it (warning: somewhat surreal video): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycuT9iFPAvo

And finally, from tallship, Air for Maurice Ogg:

a lovely slow air written by Alistair Anderson, the midi playback makes it sound pretty wooden but in reality it flows beautifully. I've never heard it played on pipes and it certainly wasn't written with pipes in mind but I can hear drones going in my head and I'd love to hear what people come up with. So here is the strangely titled Air For Maurice Ogg.

X:1
T:Air For Maurice Ogg, The
C:From Steel Skies by Alistair Anderson
Q:1/4=110
M:4/4
L:1/8
K:D
de | f3 A A2 d=c | B d3 G2 AG | F3 A d3 A | d>e f<a e2 de | f2 A2 A2 d=c|
"6"B3 G E2 AG | F3 A d3 A | d>e f<e d2 cd || e3 A A2 ce | d3 B G>A B<d |
"11"=c>B A<G F>A G>E | F2 D2 D2 ^cd | e2 A2 A2 ce | f2 d2 A>d f<a | g>e cB A<a g>e | d6|]

No melodeon videos of this one (yet!), but here's a rather nice guitar version.

Happy voting!

Clive

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
Re: Poll: Tune of the Month for September 2011
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 07:18:56 AM »

Rochdale Coconut Dance is one of those tunes where I'm never sure which is the 'A' part and which is the 'B' part on the video linked above, it sounds to me like they start with the 'B' part...
ISIS Melodeon, Hohner Erica,  Fender Strat Plus, Takamine, Hofner Violin Bass, Hohner CX12 Harmonica, etc.... Website: https://folk-music.uk

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 08:10:29 AM »

Some ABCs

X:345
T:Rochdale Coconut Dance
K:G
G2 BB G2 B2|cBAG FGAc|G2 BB G2 B2|AGFE D2 d2|
G2 BB G2 B2|cBAG FGAc|BdBG AcAF|G4 G4:||
EFGF E2 B2|EFGF E2 B2|c2 Ac B2 GB|AGFE D4|
EFGF E2 B2|EFGF E2 B2|c2 Ac B2 GB|A2 F2 G4:||

As Almo points out above the A/B discrimination on this tune is variable, this is the way I play it but I have heard it the otherway round.

X:325
T:Portsmouth
D2|G2GA BAGF|E4 e4|d2 B2 cBAG|A6 D2|
G2GA BAGF|E4 e4|d2 B2 cBAB|G6 :||
d2|g3 a bagf|g2 d2 B2 d2|g2 B2 cBAG|A6 D2|
G2GA BAGF|E4 e4|d2 B2 cBAB|G6:||

Jack Humphreys

• tunesbyjackhumphreys
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 03:30:56 PM »

Air for Maurice Ogg

Here's a myspace version on pipes etc, with a drone and no harmonies. I presume that this is the Alistair Anderson original.

http://www.myspace.com/alistairandersonmusic/music/songs/the-air-for-maurice-ogg-jumping-jack-57411050

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 10:56:27 PM »

Air for Maurice Ogg

Here's a myspace version on pipes etc, with a drone and no harmonies. I presume that this is the Alistair Anderson original.

http://www.myspace.com/alistairandersonmusic/music/songs/the-air-for-maurice-ogg-jumping-jack-57411050

Yes indeed it is Jack, thanks for posting the link!  ;D I went to a workshop weekend earlier this year, two days of learning the Steel Skies Suite with Alistair and he played the whole thing on concertina, I'd quite forgotten that the original had pipes on it - although not subconsciously! It's followed by another great tune, Jumping Jack. I have the PDF and ABC files for this (and all of Steel Skies) so anyone who is interested is welcome to a copy, just PM your email address if you want ABC files because the forum software doesn't allow the ABC text files in PM's!
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 11:08:17 PM »

I'm not that keen on Oh Joe the Boat is Going Over but the others are all great tunes. I had to vote for The Air For Maurice Ogg of course, I suggested it because hearing what some of the great players on here might make of it was very appealing - but it's accessible to novice players too. The slow tempo makes it playable by all, while the subtle phrasing and timing holds a challenge for the best of players.
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 11:48:57 PM »

Rochdale Coconut Dance is one of those tunes where I'm never sure which is the 'A' part and which is the 'B' part on the video linked above, it sounds to me like they start with the 'B' part...

The story as I've heard it is this:
It should start with the G major part, but many years ago Dave Townsend included it in a a tune book with the E minor part first and as that book became something of a session bible at the time, just about everybody learned it that way.

irrelevant digression:
There's a similar difference  between "real tune" and "session version" with the Bacup Nutters' Tip Toe Polka (Yes, that's the correct name), but in that case it's because some of the middle harmony parts played by the Stacksteads Band have been copied into the tune.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 05:50:40 AM »

The story as I've heard it is this:
It should start with the G major part, but many years ago Dave Townsend included it in a a tune book with the E minor part first and as that book became something of a session bible at the time, just about everybody learned it that way.

That's also my understanding; but I always play it Em part first because I think it sounds better that way round, the change to the major giving some lift to the second half.  Maybe that's why DT published it that way?

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 08:13:18 AM »

The same problem used to surface with a box playing friend of mine, playing 'Rattling Bog', and he always used to start with what I always consider to be the 'B' part..
ISIS Melodeon, Hohner Erica,  Fender Strat Plus, Takamine, Hofner Violin Bass, Hohner CX12 Harmonica, etc.... Website: https://folk-music.uk

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 09:11:54 AM »

Jenny Lind polka also has variable A/B, or it might just be me who always starts on the G part  ;D

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 09:33:42 AM »

There is a story handed down in my family that the Rochdale Coconut Dancers learnt their tune from my maternal great grandmother who was a music hall entertainer called Flower Dawes, although I have no means of verifying this. Her daughter, Nellie, was also a music hall entertainer. From what my mother told me, Flower and Nellie both performed this song on the stage, but I have no idea who wrote it or whether the words were added to an existing tune. My mother (who is no longer with us) used to sing it when I was a child. The E minor part came first and the first line of the song was "A pretty little girl with ribbons in her hair" or something like that. Unfortunately, since my mother died, there is nobody left in my family who remembers the words.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

nemethmik

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 10:57:03 AM »

the first line of the song was "A pretty little girl with ribbons in her hair" or something like that. Unfortunately, since my mother died, there is nobody left in my family who remembers the words.
This is a really sad story, which happens so often in the recent 50 years: the period of 1950 - 2011 is the era of the FFM (Forgotten Fathers and Mothers). Sorry for the thread drift.  
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 12:02:01 PM by Miklos Nemeth »

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 11:34:05 AM »

Jenny Lind polka also has variable A/B, or it might just be me who always starts on the G part  ;D

In my experience, yes it probably is!  ;D
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 11:37:18 AM »

I remember the Jenny Lind Polka played in a ballroom scene of a John Wayne western movie and they definitely started on the D row!

Anyone wanting a good laugh, try the Simon Ritchie version of "Oh Joe" - singing falsetto.

Rob.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 05:16:44 PM »

I came across this today, I didn't realise that 'Portsmouth' had been around for so long. Up the dusty end anybody?

EDIT This of course isn't Portsmouth at all - senior moment! This is I believe the Sailor's Hornpipe aka the Blue Peter theme. Doh!

X:55
T:Pitt's Hornpipe
M:2/4
L:1/16
C:Gosnold 1775
N:Longways for three couples
Q:1/4=80
gf | "G"g2G2 G2 dc | Bdg2 gbag |"A"a2A2 A2 ag | "D"fad'2 d'e'f'2 | "G"g'f'e'd' "Em"e'd'c'b |
"Am"c'bag "D7"gfed | "Em"eg"D"fa "G"gb"D7"ac' | "G"b2g2 g2 :: dc | "G"Bdgd Bdgd | "C"e2c2 c2 ed |
"A"^ceae ceae | "D"f2d2 d2 c'b | "Am"c'2e'2 e'd'c'b | c'bag "D7"gfed | "Em"eg"D"fa "G"gb"D7"ac'| "G"b2g2 g2 :|
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 07:37:38 PM by tallship »
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Fidjit

• my space on My Space
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 11:49:59 AM »

Ah. Looks like Portsmouth has fallen out of favour. Now question is. Should I change my vote ?

Howard Jones

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 01:21:35 PM »

This of course isn't Portsmouth at all - senior moment! This is I believe the Sailor's Hornpipe aka the Blue Peter theme. Doh!

It's certainly the well-known "Sailor's Hornpipe", well known to the Last Night of the Proms and rugby players, but it's not the Blue Peter theme - that's "Barnacle Bill", composed by Ashworth Hope.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal