Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: D/G chart with notes on the stave and ABC equivalents  (Read 6041 times)

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
Re: D/G chart with notes on the stave and ABC equivalents
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2011, 10:40:43 AM »

Ok - another chart for D/G - this time it's got ABC equivalents.
Please see very slight tweak - the F natural (G row) ABC equivalent now has an =.  This is now accurate in respect of the key signature of G major
This chart was produced in consultation with Lester Bailey - thanks Lester!! :|glug

See it here:-

http://web.me.com/les.titford/daddylongles/daddylonglestabs_files/DG%20Notes%20ABC.gif

Just one final tweak please Les,  and I'll be happy!

On both the stave notation and on the letter names for the notes, please can we have the sharps shown as appropriate? I know you have a key signature at the beginning of the lines for G and D rows, but with the individual stave fragments being chopped up as they are (which is fine), it really needs to have the accidental # sign added to both the letter names and the notes, for all the F#s on both rows and for the C#s on the D row. Then it really will be musically correct. Please indulge me! Thanks!  (:)

Hi Steve,

Funnily enough - my original chart did have all the F's and C's with individual sharps but I thought with the key signature at the beginning everyone would say this was wrong so I pulled them all out.  Also, when I consulted with Lester about the ABC - again, I had all the F's and C's with the ^ -  he said this was unnecessary as they would already be raised with the K:G and K:D in the tune header so I pulled them out.  I'll have a look at it though.
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG.

Steve_freereeder

• Grumpy old git (sometimes)
  • Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2011, 11:04:13 AM »

Hi Steve,

Funnily enough - my original chart did have all the F's and C's with individual sharps but I thought with the key signature at the beginning everyone would say this was wrong so I pulled them all out.  Also, when I consulted with Lester about the ABC - again, I had all the F's and C's with the ^ -  he said this was unnecessary as they would already be raised with the K:G and K:D in the tune header so I pulled them out.  I'll have a look at it though.
This is all true in the context of a tune, both in standard music notation and in ABC. However, for a layout chart, I feel it is important to have exactly the notes which are played shown adjacent to the buttons. Not everyone who consults the layout chart is going to be familiar with ABC or the meaning of ABC headers. 
(And even in standard music notation for classical musicians, a very useful 'reminder' sharp or flat is sometimes shown next to a note, even though might already be in the key signature and therefore is, strictly speaking, unnecessary. This is especially useful if the music has modulated through a set of keys, and the composer/transcriber wants to be sure that the player mentally 'switches over' to the new key.)

Thinking about it even more, it is rather restrictive to have the key signatures of G and D majors shown at the beginning of the line. Not every tune playable on a D/G melodeon is in those keys and therefore won't necessarily have those key signatures. However, you do need the treble clef at the beginning as this fixes where the note actually is in the range of musical pitches. Just lose the key signature and have all the sharps, flats (and F naturals) as accidentals in their appropriate places.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 11:08:16 AM by Steve_freereeder »
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Daddy Long Les

• Forum Librarian
    • Daddy Long Les
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2011, 11:07:27 AM »

Hi Steve,

Funnily enough - my original chart did have all the F's and C's with individual sharps but I thought with the key signature at the beginning everyone would say this was wrong so I pulled them all out.  Also, when I consulted with Lester about the ABC - again, I had all the F's and C's with the ^ -  he said this was unnecessary as they would already be raised with the K:G and K:D in the tune header so I pulled them out.  I'll have a look at it though.
This is all true in the context of a tune, both in standard music notation and in ABC. However, for a layout chart, I feel it is important to have exactly the notes which are played shown adjacent to the buttons.
(And even in standard music notation for classical musicians, a very useful 'reminder' sharp or flat is sometimes shown next to a note, even though might already be in the key signature and therefore is, strictly speaking, unnecessary. This is especially useful if the music has modulated through a set of keys, and the composer/transcriber wants to be sure that the player mentally 'switches over' to the new key.)

Thinking about it even more, it is rather restrictive to have the key signatures of G and D majors shown at the beginning of the line. Not every tune playable on a D/G melodeon is in those keys and therefore won't necessarily have those key signatures. However, you do need the treble clef at the beginning as this fixes where the note actually is in the range of musical pitches. Just lose the key signature and have all the sharps, flats (and F naturals) as accidentals in their appropriate places.
Yep -fair point.  I'll have a look.
Castagnari Lily DG, Dino Baffetti Binci DG, Hohner Erica DG, Hohner Erica GC, Hohner Liliput Bb Eb, Sybilla Brand GCF, Hohner Compadre ADG.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal