Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Theme of the Month for September 2011: 48 Bar Jigs  (Read 14537 times)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
Theme of the Month for September 2011: 48 Bar Jigs
« on: August 31, 2011, 11:58:39 PM »

OK folks, going to try something a little different this month. Many of us play/have played/will play in ceilidh/dance bands/sides, and if you're like me, it's always hard to find nice tunes to play. So, how about, as an occasional series every couple of months or so, we cover the various types of tunes you're likely to need/want, 32 bar jigs, 48 bar jigs, 32 bar reels, polkas, waltzes, and on the euro front, mazurkas, 2 and 3 time bourrees, 5-time waltzes, andro's/laride's, etc... and so on. It might take a while, but in a year or two we should have a nice little repertoire library!

So.. let's try it! This month, we're looking for that rare beast, a decent 48 bar jig (typically 3 parts, 16 bars each, but if you have something else that breaks down differently, let's not exclude that either). What's your favourite 48 bar jig? Do you have a set of them you particularly like? Or even try writing a new one; and with our readership, it'll have a good chance of other people and bands hearing it, playing it and perhaps in time it'll take off and become a new classic?!

Let's see what we can come up with! If people like the idea and we do well with a decent number of recordings, we'll run this theme again every couple of months or so with different dance types...

Cheers,

Clive

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Theme of the Month for September 2011: 48 Bar Jigs
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 10:42:34 AM »

Weasel in the Grass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS-D3CKurt0

A great 48 bar jig written by Chris Taylor of Gas Mark V fame, played on my Super Pokerwork

X:449
T:Weasel in the Grass
M:6/8
K:G
B2 B A2 B|AGG G2 d|efg dBG|BAA A3|
B2 B A2 B|AGG G2 d|efg dBG|1 cAF G2 z:|2 cAF G2||
g|fed cBA|BGG G2 g|fed cBA|eAA A2 g|
fed cBA|BGG G2 d|efg dBG|cAF G2:||
z|E2 E EDE|G3 G2 G|A2 A AGA|B3 Bcd|
edc edc|d2 B G2 B|A2 B c2 B|A2 G FED|
E2 E EDE|G3 G2 G|A2 A AGA|B3 Bcd|
edc edc|d2 B Ggg|fed cBA|G3 G3||

seinegydd

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 02:14:19 PM »

That's a good, bouncy, EASY TO PLAY tune, Lester. Thanks!

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 03:02:32 PM »

Here are a couple more that are not too common.

X:44
T:Margate Assembly I
L:1/8
Q:3/8=105
C:Thompson c.1780
N:Longways for three couples
K:G
"G" G2 G D2 D | "C"EDE "G"D3 | "D7"cde "G"dcB | "Am"ABA "D7" GFE | "Em"G2 G "Bm"D2 D | "C"EDE "Bm" D3 |
"Am"cde "G"dcB | "D7"AGF "G" G3 :: "Em" g2 g b2 g | "Bm"f2 f a2 f | "Em"efg fed | "A"^ced cBA |
"Em"g2 g b2 g | "Bm"f2 f a2 f | "Em"e2 g "Bm"fed | "A7"ed^c "D"d3 | "C"e c2-cde | "G"d B2-Bcd |
"Am"c A2- ABc |"Em"BAG "D7"FED | "G"G2 G D2 D | "C"EDE "E7"D3 | "Am"cde "G"dcB | "D7" AGF "G"G3 :|

X:52
T:Medway
L:1/8
C:Rutherford Vol.1 1756
N:Longways for three couples
Q:3/8=100
K:C
"C"c>dc "G"!trill!B2 A/B/ | "C"cBA Gfe | "F"F2 d "C"E2 c | "D"Ddc "G7"!trill!B2 A/B/| "C"cdc "G"!trill!B2 A/B/ | "Am"cBA "C"GFE |
"F"F2d "C"e2 c | "G7"DcB "C"c3 :: "C"c2 e gec | "F"F2 a "C"E2 g | "Dm"D2 f "D7"edc | "G"B2 c "G7"dBG |
"C"c2 e gec | "F"F2 a "C"E2 g | "Dm"D2 f "Am"edc | "D7"AG^F "G"G2 "G7"G/=F/ | "C"EGc "G"!trill!B2 A/B/ | "C"cBA GFE |
"Dm"F2 d "Am"E2 c | "Dm"Ddc "G"B2 "G7"A/B/ | "C"cdc "G7"!trill!B2 A/B/ | "Am"cBA "Em"GFE | "Dm"F2 d "C"E2 c | "G7"Ddc "C"c3 :|
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 04:37:41 PM »

You seem to have missed off the recording!  ;D

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 06:01:24 PM »

You seem to have missed off the recording!  ;D
>:E

The're a quirky pair of tunes for sure.
(judging by looking at the dots, not tried playing them yet...)

I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 10:26:44 PM »

We always used Three Meet followed by Dingle Regatta, and if pushed Weyhill Fair with the A part played twice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9Um6kzaOFM
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 01:05:50 PM by pikey »
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 01:12:25 AM »

Dang. Missed posting on the 1st of September by 60 mins! Ah well, here's a dangerously earwormy and catchy little number, a frankensteining of Bouchard Quadrille with the B music of Marche Duverner, to make the Bouchard Quadrille 48 bar jig!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm7RwhW-esE

Here it's played on a Castagnari Mory in D/G. All on the G row, and just the 3 basic chords - G, D and C.

Not sure who wrote these, and in particular, is the Bouchard Quadrille traditional, or written by Mr Bouchard? Popularised on Chris Wood and Andy Cutting's first album of course.

Cheers,

Clive

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 01:18:50 AM »

Do you know, I couldn't make up my mind whether to do the Bouchard Quadrille 48 or this, Chris Shaw's wonderful recent(ish) composition, Willow Express. So I did both!

And here we are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84zK6NBMRrA

As frequently 'explored' by GIGCB (at pretty much every gig we do!) here it is lovingly arranged for 2 accordions (i.e. I played the main tune relatively straight first, then stuck a second track over the top which is what I'd normally play at a gig, leaving Chris to play the main tune).

It's a 3 parter of course, first 2 bits more in less in Em, 3rd bit in G. It lends itself to descants, counter melodies, etc, like nothing else I've ever heard. Oh, and there's the 'traditional' intro on the front. Don't ask me why it's there... it just's always been there. It lasts a full minute!

Both parts played on a Castagnari Mory in D/G (in this case semi-unisonoric, but you can play this on a normal melodeon, no problem).

"Enjoy",

Clive

marvelle

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 02:56:57 AM »

Dang. Missed posting on the 1st of September by 60 mins!

-

But I had the pleasure of watching it on the 1st of September here in the U.S.  Delightful.

Frank
Hohner Morgane D/G

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 05:45:15 AM »

Dang. Missed posting on the 1st of September by 60 mins! Ah well, here's a dangerously earwormy and catchy little number, a frankensteining of Bouchard Quadrille with the B music of Marche Duverner, to make the Bouchard Quadrille 48 bar jig!

Cheers,

Clive

Fantastic Clive! I really enjoyed this  (:)
I don't get 'jigs'

swig

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 09:10:06 AM »

We always used to play Voulez Vous Danzer followed by When Daylight Shines (or Carnival of Venice) Very danceable tunes.

Ray

• Regular debater
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 03:24:44 PM »

Paddy Carey's is my favorite 48 bar jig (coincidentally its also the only one I know!) So here it is played very fast on my presswood A/D

http://www.onmvoice.com/play.php?a=65080

folkbluesnbeyond

• Respected Sage
    • Folkbluesnbeyond
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 03:31:40 PM »

looking through the posts I have discovered new names for at least three of the favourites, here are three others.

Some lumps, but maybe I ought to get a life and not worry about them (I told myself).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX84sfW7_7w

All the best

Bill

Andy in Vermont

• Mélodie
    • Melodeon Minutes (blog)
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 04:03:07 PM »

Not sure who wrote these, and in particular, is the Bouchard Quadrille traditional, or written by Mr Bouchard?

Lovely playing, Clive!

I think that Quadrille Bouchard is traditional, with the nod to Jos Bouchard in the title because his version of the tune became the standard.  There are actually several parts of the quadrille, each of which stands alone as a tune in its own right.  I'm not sure which part it is that you played but I know it is not the 2nd or 3rd.  I'm not sure where Cutting/Wood got their version, the B part differs from the version I know (which came from Philippe Bruneau).

Thanks for bringing this tune into the mix -- great choice!

AndyShear

• D/G Mory
  • Regular debater
    • The Busketeers
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 03:51:49 PM »

Horizonto ....is that a 48 bar jig .....to lazy to count
anyway ............just a quick stab ........warts and all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbdgX2bNb4I

Andy
With the lostness in das Man, the nearest, factical potentiality-ofbeing of Da-sein has always already been decided upon – tasks, rules, standards, the urgency and scope of being-in-the-world, concerned and taking care of things. Das-Man has always already taken the apprehension of these possibilities-of-being away from Dasein.

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 05:41:42 PM »

We always used Three Meet followed by Dingle Regatta, and if pushed Weyhill Fair with the A part played twice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9Um6kzaOFM

Well, referring to another thread about tunes "the wrong way round", it's interesting that you play the 3 parts of  "When Daylight Shines" in the same order as the fellow box-player I referred to - your "ABC" order is my "ACB" order!

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 05:44:14 PM »

We always used to play Voulez Vous Danzer followed by When Daylight Shines (or Carnival of Venice) Very danceable tunes.

Do you know, I'd never noticed the close relationship between "Daylight" and "Carnival of Venice".......and it's been right under my nose for years and years and........
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Just4Fun

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 06:21:20 PM »

It's a Jig but not sure about 48 bars especially as I missed a repeat first time round. Played on a Castagnari Hascy.
http://www.onmvoice.com/play.php?a=65252

ganderbox

• Melodeons from Brittany, Italy, Germany* and Leeds
    • www.choughedtobits.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2011, 09:15:35 AM »

Do you know, I couldn't make up my mind whether to do the Bouchard Quadrille 48 or this, Chris Shaw's wonderful recent(ish) composition, Willow Express. So I did both!

Willow Express is a brilliant tune, Clive. I don't suppose by any chance you have the dots or abc?  ;)
Pauline from Cornwall

*  including a customised Hohner Club from Cornwall (and very nice it is too!).
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal