Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Ciccarelli Reeds  (Read 15385 times)

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website
Re: Ciccarelli Reeds
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2011, 11:47:45 AM »

The stories of dealing with melodeon manufacturers in Italy are not unusual. In a completely unrelated field I've heard of similar experiences with small to medium sized manufacturers. Maybe it's something to do with being Italian?

Andy Simpson

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2011, 11:50:45 AM »

Not the case with Ciccarelli in my experience. Very nice people and an absolute pleasure to deal with.

Andrew Wigglesworth

• My website
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2011, 12:06:36 PM »

Not the case with Ciccarelli in my experience. Very nice people and an absolute pleasure to deal with.

I didn't say they're not nice!

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2011, 02:48:48 PM »

One thing that may be an issue here is that Ciccarelli apparently have a much shorter waiting time than Binci or even Voci Armonihce. So for the melodeon maker it's probably also less time consuming and more flexible to deal with Ciccarelli than Binci.

I got a Luukinen Elene II C/F with Binci professional reeds and a Lilja III D/G with Ciccarelli reeds. But it's really hard to compare, and I love to play both. All I can say for sure is that both types of reeds sounds and feel really great.

It had occurred to me there might be a timing issue. Binci took nearly 2 years on my last commission.  Long ago - my Casta Mory was also delayed for 'anches'

As for having both types - I think such diversity is wonderful.  This is an adventure.
  _       _    _      _ 

Andy in Vermont

• Mélodie
    • Melodeon Minutes (blog)
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2011, 03:20:07 PM »

What long scale reeds give you is dynamic range. (whether you think that's good or bad...)

As Theo said, "they speak quicker," which means in practice that as you change bellows directions, they begin to sound (quietly) at a lower amount of bellows pressure (even though they take more air overall, as Theo said).  This translates to being able to play more quietly, and as pressure increases, more loudly (although the top volume seems lower than shorter-scale reeds).  As Anahata said above, it translates into a dynamic range between very quiet and loud, but I am not certain that is is 'more' range --- the overall range might be similar, substituting a quieter end for the super-loud end of the shorter-scale reeds' range.

I call it "more responsive" -- the quick response is what feels right to me when playing in a style requiring rapid bellows direction changes (what Messervier called "plus nerveaux" when I asked him what he preferred about the reeds he used).  Also "responsive" in the sense of altering dynamics.

waltzman

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2011, 04:19:37 PM »

One thing that may be an issue here is that Ciccarelli apparently have a much shorter waiting time than Binci or even Voci Armonihce. So for the melodeon maker it's probably also less time consuming and more flexible to deal with Ciccarelli than Binci.

I got a Luukinen Elene II C/F with Binci professional reeds and a Lilja III D/G with Ciccarelli reeds. But it's really hard to compare, and I love to play both. All I can say for sure is that both types of reeds sounds and feel really great.

It had occurred to me there might be a timing issue. Binci took nearly 2 years on my last commission.  Long ago - my Casta Mory was also delayed for 'anches'

As for having both types - I think such diversity is wonderful.  This is an adventure.

Chris, I would think the most important issue is what they sound like to you.  It would be great if you could hear examples of the two different reeds in the model that you are considering.  He sure has some beautiful instruments.  Which model are you getting?

Michael

blafleur

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2011, 11:40:22 PM »

I just installed my second set, after having used Binci exclusively.  Can't give a good comparison, because all the Binci's I've installed have been aluminum base, and the Cicarelli's have been brass based.  But I really like them.  Good response and tone.  For my accordion, I actually ended up with half brass based Cicarellis and half aluminum based Bincis for blended sound I really like.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2011, 07:53:27 AM »

Had this from Frans van der Aa (I've tweaked the English a little for clarity,it's  not his mother's tongue)

I need to explain  BINCI/Ciccarelli: My basic prices were based on BINCI Semi hand made reeds (BINCI Typo A Mano).  When I started with Ciccarelli Hand Made Reeds they were about the same price as the cheapest BINCI 'Typo A Mano' (not hand made). The extra for BINCI Hand Made (for your accordion) was list €230,- but this is their 2005 price. Really I need to ask at this moment €258 more for BINCI A Mano

At the time BINCI stopped making Typo A Mano, I came in contact with Ciccarelli.  Now you pay only €183 more.  I'm really happy with the Ciccarelli reeds, they make better and better work for lower price. (BINCI were also cheap in the beginning).

I was one of the first accordion makers use BINCI, Now I'm one of the first use Ciccarelli.  This is a risk for me, as BINCI is very popular all over the world.  At this moment I'm making a new accordion for David Munnelly, in D/D#. He wants to use it in his David Munnelly Band, and new band Samurai.  After a time all people might talk about CICCARELLI and forgot BINCI..?

Frans has also asked me how to use this forum and I've sent some screen shots.  Hope to hear him here soon.                                       

Which model are you getting? Michael

The compact 9/10/11 with 18 bass - or as per his video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzHJps91O6g

« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 09:18:07 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Hasse

• Respected Sage
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2011, 08:33:30 AM »

Had this from Frans van der Aa (I've tweaked the English a little for clarity,it's  not his mother's tongue)
At the time BINCI stopped making Typo A Mano, I came in contact with Ciccarelli.  Now you pay only €183 more.  I'm really happy with the Ciccarelli reeds, they make better and better work for lower price. (BINCI were also cheap in the beginning).

It's not easy when your success are drowning you in orders, making it hard to deliver in reasonable time, as apparently for Binci at the moment. But that giving room for new makers like Ciccarlli is just great, and as I've understood Circcarlli is very open to new ideas and flexible in the production set up. But maybe that's also just a matter of time, hope they have capacity for keeping up quality and expanding at the same time, can be a tricky one! But I imagine there are business enough for both of them.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 08:38:04 AM by Hasse »
Sweden, Skåne

Andy in Vermont

• Mélodie
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2011, 12:58:07 PM »

(BINCI were also cheap in the beginning).

It's interesting that van der Aa says he's used Binci from the beginning -- I wonder if he means the beginning of when Claudio Binci took over the business? Because I thought that he had an older uncle who initially made Binci reeds (and I know that these are prized reeds and some Cajun builders kept them in reserve because they were really special).  Binci says "fifty years of experience" but I don't think that Van der Aa has been making accordions that long.)

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2011, 01:00:59 PM »

I suspect he meant from when Frans van der Aa began producing instruments.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

VanderAa

• Accordion maker
  • COMPACT ACCORDIONS
    • VanderAa accordeons
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2011, 04:47:54 PM »

I'm for the first time on Melodeon.net...
Here a little story about my 30 years making accordions and special about the reeds:
I start exact 30 years ago with making diatonic accordions... 1981 .....VanderAa..... 2011 and make till now 222 accordions.
After two years making accordions in 1983 I use for the first time BINCI REEDS... This reeds was from the old Nazzareno Binci.
After about two years he work for me, Nazzareno dead and finished the BINCI reeds.
(In that time BINCI Nazzareno make only parallel reeds, I like this old style BINCI reeds ad most from all till now..!
After I use for some years SALPA reeds, the SALPA reeds was from good quality, later Salpa incorporate with Antonelli with the name Voci Armoniche. I tray in the beginning Voci Armoniche, bud I don't like, it was complete different from SALPA.
After about three years no BINCI reeds... Claudio BINCI (a nephew) start his factory with making again BINCI reeds.
Typo a Mano, A Mano and A Mano double revet. This last I never use for they are about 7 mm more long, not good for the size of my small COMPACT accordions. From that time I use standard BINCI Typo a Mano and against more price BINCI A MANO.

For about 3 years ago Jugens Ciccarelli start his company with making CICCARELLY reeds...
He make 5 different style reeds:  EXPORT Quality, typo a mano, Extra Quality, Special Quality and TOP Quality
I use now standard in my accordions: EXTRA QUALITY, and against more price: TOP QUALITY.
I like CICCARELLY for a lot reasons: Nice contact, shorter delivery time, more cheap, and the most important: Excellent Quality..!
Ciccarelli use always the best length reed for the correct tone, in almost every, Dural reed house, are two different lengths reeds. 

Cooper

• Gaillrd G/C/#,Casta Allain8 GC,Lofft CF, giord ad
    • Cooper's homepage
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2011, 07:31:12 PM »

... and the most important: Excellent Quality..!..
what does that mean in this case, Frans? I mean, can you describe the differences in sound and playing between the different kind of reeds? and between the different kind of makers? (Antonelli vs Binci vs Ciccarelli for example)?

W
Please correct my English, it's been a while, and i like to learn.
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2011, 10:16:12 AM »

OK, OK, OK :Ph  Frans!   ... neem ik de Ciccarellis weg  ;)

Thanks to whoever posted the website.  They have pictures of the 3 'type's freed made.  These do look rather similar to my inexperienced eye  ??? but I guess it's all in the playing

_       _    _      _ 

Andy in Vermont

• Mélodie
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2011, 04:15:19 AM »

I'm for the first time on Melodeon.net...
Here a little story about my 30 years making accordions and special about the reeds:
I start exact 30 years ago with making diatonic accordions... 1981 .....VanderAa..... 2011 and make till now 222 accordions.
After two years making accordions in 1983 I use for the first time BINCI REEDS... This reeds was from the old Nazzareno Binci.
After about two years he work for me, Nazzareno dead and finished the BINCI reeds.
(In that time BINCI Nazzareno make only parallel reeds, I like this old style BINCI reeds ad most from all till now..!
After I use for some years SALPA reeds, the SALPA reeds was from good quality, later Salpa incorporate with Antonelli with the name Voci Armoniche. I tray in the beginning Voci Armoniche, bud I don't like, it was complete different from SALPA.
After about three years no BINCI reeds... Claudio BINCI (a nephew) start his factory with making again BINCI reeds.
Typo a Mano, A Mano and A Mano double revet. This last I never use for they are about 7 mm more long, not good for the size of my small COMPACT accordions. From that time I use standard BINCI Typo a Mano and against more price BINCI A MANO.

For about 3 years ago Jugens Ciccarelli start his company with making CICCARELLY reeds...
He make 5 different style reeds:  EXPORT Quality, typo a mano, Extra Quality, Special Quality and TOP Quality
I use now standard in my accordions: EXTRA QUALITY, and against more price: TOP QUALITY.
I like CICCARELLY for a lot reasons: Nice contact, shorter delivery time, more cheap, and the most important: Excellent Quality..!
Ciccarelli use always the best length reed for the correct tone, in almost every, Dural reed house, are two different lengths reeds. 

Thanks for posting -- and a warm welcome to you, too!
-Andy

Lars

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2014, 01:05:48 PM »

Does anyone know about the recent situation with Ciccarelli?

I ordered from him a year ago, and he keeps delaying, saying he is suffering some serious problems with his hands. I hope this does not mean that he will stop production, as his reeds are among the best I have tried out there.

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2014, 02:32:36 PM »

Does anyone know about the recent situation with Ciccarelli?

I ordered from him a year ago, and he keeps delaying, saying he is suffering some serious problems with his hands. I hope this does not mean that he will stop production, as his reeds are among the best I have tried out there.

I know Andy had a set from him recently, but only after a long delay...
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2014, 02:47:28 PM »

He made all the reeds for the last Emmanuel Pariselle course in April.  And very good they are too.  Just speculating but it is possible that he prefers to deal with customers who place larger orders.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2014, 03:06:06 PM »

The reeds ARE superb, I think I must concur with Theo.
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”

Lars

« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2014, 06:15:34 PM »

He made all the reeds for the last Emmanuel Pariselle course in April.  And very good they are too.  Just speculating but it is possible that he prefers to deal with customers who place larger orders.

That's my assumption, but still frustrating. I have his 'Bombarde' (also called 'special type') in my main box, and they really sing after a being played in. I previously placed a larger order in collaboration with a friend, and had no problems with delays then.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal