Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Thomas Hardy's manuscript  (Read 2985 times)

Ziachmusi/Louise

• Respected Sage
Thomas Hardy's manuscript
« on: September 10, 2011, 10:52:19 AM »

Hi

reading TH at the mo (under the greenwood tree) and it's raised my interest in the contents and history of THs (or his grandfather's?) manuscript. According to the Villiage Music Project it's in a private collection. Does any body know if it's been published or if there's a list of content any where?

Louise

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
Re: Thomas Hardy's manuscript
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 12:10:23 PM »

I don't know if it's been published in its entirety, but it's (or at least it was!) in the Lock Collection housed at Dorset County Museum.  I have two books of tunes from the manuscript - "The Dorchester Hornpipe", 34 tunes, published by the Dorset County Museum 1977, and "The Musical Heritage of Thomas Hardy" (Volume 1, so there must have been at least an intention to produce a Volume 2, though I've never seen one)101 tunes, Dragonfly Music 1990.  Might be worth an internet booksearch.

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 07:24:35 PM »

I think the copyright to all of Dragonfly's music is now owned by Dave Mallinson at Mally Music so it may be worth enquiring there.

I seem to remember that some of the Hardy tunes are in Hardcore English too.

Pete.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Bill the Farmer

• Not quite so
  • Respected Sage
  • Hohner Club, Liliput...
    • Bill Farmer
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 06:22:37 PM »

The Dorchester Hornpipe is still available from the Dorset County Museum on this page: http://research.dorsetcountymuseum.org/occasional-pubs.html. I bought one a few years ago. You need to send a cheque, I think. And I don't think they've put the price up since 1977!
Bill of Old Shoreham Town

Ziachmusi/Louise

• Respected Sage
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 06:34:14 PM »

Thanks guys. I googled and found a 2nd hand Dorchester Hornpipe for 12 pounds, but looks like the museum is unbeatable, so I'll order one there.
I'll also send Mally an email and enquire.

cheers

Louise
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal