Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A documentary "Way of the Morris"  (Read 1855 times)

Prestidigitator

• Respected Sage
  • Saltarelle, Hohner, Oakwood Baffetti
A documentary "Way of the Morris"
« on: September 14, 2011, 08:45:26 AM »

This documentary about Adderbury Morris by a chap called Tim Plester is, as I understand, newly released.

Has anyone seen it? Apparently I've just missed the chance of seeing it in Norwich.

Here's the link to it:-

http://www.wayofthemorris.com/

Ziachmusi/Louise

• Respected Sage
Re: A documentary "Way of the Morris"
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 09:18:39 AM »

If you click on "screenings" then there's a calender and it seems that it will be repeated in Norwich on the 14th September, albeit an afternoon screening.

Prestidigitator

• Respected Sage
  • Saltarelle, Hohner, Oakwood Baffetti
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 09:42:13 AM »

If you click on "screenings" then there's a calender and it seems that it will be repeated in Norwich on the 14th September, albeit an afternoon screening.

Thanks. Unfortunately weekday matinees are not good timing for me, hence my vexation at missing the Norwich showing last Sunday evening. It's made even more annoying because Norwich (and this part of East Anglia) is usually the last place that things like this are shown, if at all.

Ellie

• Saltarelle Pastourelle II
    • Rose Hips Bellydance
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 12:17:34 PM »

Saw it at Sidmouth, and thought it was quite good. Definitely worth seeing if you get the chance.

Alan Morley

• Alan Morley
    • UK Folk Music
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 01:51:31 PM »

This documentary about Adderbury Morris by a chap called Tim Plester is, as I understand, newly released.

Has anyone seen it? Apparently I've just missed the chance of seeing it in Norwich.

Here's the link to it:-

http://www.wayofthemorris.com/

Loads of Morris stuff on UK Folk Music  http://www.ukfolkmusic.co.uk/shopping.html

Alan
ISIS Melodeon, Hohner Erica,  Fender Strat Plus, Takamine, Hofner Violin Bass, Hohner CX12 Harmonica, etc.... Website: https://folk-music.uk

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 05:40:14 PM »

It's on in York this Sunday.  ;D The trouble is that "Time, Gentlemen Please" starring our own Ebor Morris Foreman is on in another part of town at the same time! Typical - you wait ages for one, and two come along together!  >:(
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Rob Phillips

• Good talker
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 08:49:27 PM »

I saw it at Towersey  --  quite a big audience who gave it a standing ovation. I found the film very moving. Of the men Adderbury men dancing at the outbreak of the First World War, only one survived the war. (He was the village blacksmith with skills that were useful to the Royal Flying Corp, so he was not sent to the trenches). The film deals with where morris comes from, what it means, what people outside the folkie world think about it, and how morris was revived in Adderbury during the 1970s. It ends with the present side visiting the war memorials in France and finding the names of some of their predecessors. The film isn't all somber, however  --  it's nicely balanced, in that it shows the fun side of morris dancing and the pleasure it gives to dancers and audiences. If you enjoy morris dancing you really should see this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal