Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: The 21st Century Box  (Read 74175 times)

oggiesnr

• Dino BPII, Alfred Arnold Bandoneon, Loffet G/C
Re: The 21st Century Box
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2011, 02:30:47 PM »

So instead of carrying lots of different boxes for different keys I want to be able to undo a flap (or similar) and slide out a set of reeds and slip another one into place.  Same principle as the Harmonix mouth organs.  Likewise, onboard effects processor or recording module.

Steve

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2011, 03:03:17 PM »

Given that the block (mine at least) wil lbe cut out with a digitally driven router, may we accept Oggies idea of a securing rebate as a no brainer? I had only envisaged silicone as a 'bead' and it would be fully cured before plugging in. But that point about (possible) accoustic damping is well made. .

Moderrn engineering tollerances are a fraction of what they were when the first Italian - Virgil according to Georgic IV  ;) raidied a bees hive to find something to cement in his newly invented "voci armoniche". A 21st century plate should fit that rebate perfectly and be air tight in itself - just a screw (or clip?) to hold it?

Why are we mounting those plates "flat" anyway? Let's make our block solid (perhaps 2 moities bolted or glued) with rectangular chambers inside, and slots across. to hold the reed plat in 'divider' postition..

It would need a panel at the side for access (that would need a gsket!).  Should a reed 'upset' ... take out the 8-10 side panel screws bolts to reveal the chambers - sliide the relavent plate out and fiddle with (or replace) it.  Reassemble. Simples.  It makes Wouter's bi-annual retune -  a doddle!

I guess aome of the chambers might need offsets within tha block. As we are machinng out, their air paths could be angled, to reconcile such an arrangment to a regular keyboard.

Do we need pallets still? Something more akin to a car cylinder valve design might be better. These can open/close 3000/second - though I suspect we'd use a  rather weaker spring for melodeons :Ph  Chris

PS (Steve beat me in) does this solve your key change issue?  I suspect in practice you'd change the whole blovk (depending on cost). Or a 3-row might be cheaper  >:E
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 03:09:26 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2011, 03:07:41 PM »

Why are we assuming current reed plates in these discussions? Why do we not get <insert your preferred reed provider here> to do all the reed block manufacture and attach the reed tongues to the block individually as in concertina reeds with a small saddle. This gets around all the wax/screw/silicone debate.

Concertina reed

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2011, 04:05:20 PM »

In Lillys are not the reeds mounted right on the soundboard?  I thought the sound board contributed to the sound, not an "air" sound?  I feel like you can feel a Lilly vibrate (a little).
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2011, 08:17:24 PM »

In Lillys are not the reeds mounted right on the soundboard?  I thought the sound board contributed to the sound, not an "air" sound?  I feel like you can feel a Lilly vibrate (a little).

The sound is different in any box with the reeds mounted on the soundboard, but that's because the reeds are closer to the pallette aperture and there isn't the air space that you have in a reed block.

Come to think of it, that may also be why the Lilly sounds from a distance like a loud concertina. Years ago (when I didn't know about the reeds being flat against the sound board) I wondered why this was, and I knew it wasn't just because it was a single voice instrument.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

mory

« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2011, 08:28:24 PM »

I think the Lilly is a higher pressure instrument (like the concertina) because of the small bellows, combined with the flat reeds makes it LOUD. I first noticed the flat mounted reed affect when tuning some old accordion reeds off their racks totally differant volume. The good 1 row box's employ the same principles 1 or 2 rows of reeds flat mounted out of the 4 rows and high pressure from the small bellows pure power great ;D mory

incidently the Loffet single voice although virtually the same construction, I found less powerful, I think mainly due to a deeper volume to the reed vaults
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 08:31:56 PM by mory »

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2011, 11:27:59 PM »

5) a way to bend tones (other then 1voice-breaking-your-reed-way)

A chap called Thomas(?) Tonan has done just this. It was in a magazine that my supervisor leant me that I have since returned and can't find much on the internet about them.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2011, 12:32:09 AM »

On Emmanuel Pariselle's melodeon-making course, we screwed the reeds to the blocks. One of the advantages of this is that they are easy to adjust or remove when necessary. The sealing material around the reed plates was something called 'ollavici' (I have probably spelt this incorrectly). Can someone tell me what this material is?
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Cooper

• Gaillrd G/C/#,Casta Allain8 GC,Lofft CF, giord ad
    • Cooper's homepage
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2011, 09:38:25 AM »

A chap called Thomas(?) Tonan has done just this. It was in a magazine that my supervisor leant me that I have since returned and can't find much on the internet about them.

Cool! Will try to find info as well :-)
W
Please correct my English, it's been a while, and i like to learn.
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2011, 11:43:25 AM »

W

His website is http://www.bluesbox.biz/  with plenty of information, but the details of how his pitch bend works is kept carefully under wraps!
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2011, 01:17:07 PM »

the details of how his pitchbend works is kept carefully under wraps!

Something to do with Uranium? (though I can think of other things to do with it)  :|glug

[geek mode]
No, the uranium mineral is pitchblende, which I suppose could also have musical connotations.
(I used to be a geologist)
[/geek mode]
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

rmenhinick

• Regular debater
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2011, 01:25:17 PM »

Something to do with Uranium? (though I can think of other things to do with it)  :|glug

[geek mode]
No, the uranium mineral is pitchblende, which I suppose could also have musical connotations.
[/geek mode]

Isn't a PITCHBLEND just a fancy name for a chord?  ;D
Old G Poker, New DG Poker, ADG Compadre, DG Sandpiper, CF Erica, GC Delicia Popular, DG Dino Baffetti Black Pearl 3, Casali Verona 48 bass PA, (Squeezebox Squirrel :D)

Cooper

• Gaillrd G/C/#,Casta Allain8 GC,Lofft CF, giord ad
    • Cooper's homepage
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2011, 01:25:52 PM »

[geek mode]
[/geek mode]

heh, geologist +1, though i neer worked as one.
Please correct my English, it's been a while, and i like to learn.
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2011, 01:47:22 PM »

Me neither.  Steve Freereeder did thoiugh.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2011, 02:22:41 PM »

W

His website is http://www.bluesbox.biz/  with plenty of information, but the details of how his pitch bend works is kept carefully under wraps!

He has a patent on it, which while it means we can't copy it, does mean we can satisfy our curiosity, courtesy of Google's patent search:

So, here you go:

Tom Tonon's pitch bend patent

Cheers,

Clive

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2011, 02:30:11 PM »

Ah, that's why I couldn't find any info, I spelt it wrong (:) Thanks for the patent Clive, interesting stuff.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2011, 12:00:06 AM »

Me neither.  Steve Freereeder did thoiugh.
Yep! Coal mining geologist. Down in the dark and dirties for 20 years, then sunny side up with the BGS for another 12. Still at it - teaching geology at the university here in Sheffield. 
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2011, 08:10:22 AM »

Ideas from other threads

Certainly the aluminium board in my posh box gives a sharper tone (cuts into your ear like a chisel!) than another box from the same maker with a ply board.  The transmission path is so short and wide from the reed to the outside air that I'm not convinced that the wood has as much effect on the tone - I could be wrong, of course.  It would be interesting to compare if anyone made a board from an even more accoustically neutral composite, concrete perhaps?  Presumably the Holy Grail for an experimenter would be a material so rigid and non-resonant it doesn't have any sympathetic vibration causing loss of enegy at the reed.  Sound deadening materials for engine compartments use a composite of varying density rubbers sandwiching a lead foil layer.  How about an ali/lead/ali sandwich?

I have to say I'm deeply impressed by his approach to construction and the precision metalwork is very appealing ..... It's not totally incongruous for a musical instrument to have precision metalwork like that - look at any modern wind instrument with lots of keys on it, like a clarinet, flute or oboe. There's lots of bushes, bearings, levers and tiny screws, all custom made, none of your Heath Robinson bits of bent wire there...  (and come to think of it, if a wind instrument uses cork pads, why not a squeezebox?)
  _       _    _      _ 

oggiesnr

• Dino BPII, Alfred Arnold Bandoneon, Loffet G/C
« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2011, 06:55:15 PM »

(and come to think of it, if a wind instrument uses cork pads, why not a squeezebox?)

[/quote]

Maintenance of the cork would be a pain.  On a clarinet they receive a certain amount of incidental moisture from the breath passing through the instrument but even then they can and do dry out and split or come adrift.  Inside a melodeon I suspect the problem would be worse

Maybe a better option would be the balck nitrile used in "O" rings.

Steve

Telemorris

• Respected Sage
  • C/F Preciosa
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2011, 07:14:15 PM »

(and come to think of it, if a wind instrument uses cork pads, why not a squeezebox?)

Maintenance of the cork would be a pain.  On a clarinet they receive a certain amount of incidental moisture from the breath passing through the instrument but even then they can and do dry out and split or come adrift.  Inside a melodeon I suspect the problem would be worse

Maybe a better option would be the balck nitrile used in "O" rings.

Steve
[/quote]

I just took a look at the design of the tone holes in a flute. The tone holes that are closed by a pad are actually thin rings raised above the surface of the tube. The cork beds into that thin ring. I wonder if anyone has ever inserted metal tubes into the palletboard holes with a raised edge to provide a better seal? Seems a bit much and could cause problems with a wood soundboard shrinking and expanding around it. Also not sure such a thing is necessary.

Ed
Ed Stevens
Bridgetown Morris Men
Portland, Oregon, US
Erica D/G, Presswood Pokerwork G/C, Preciosa C/F
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal