Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: melodeons and airport security  (Read 8849 times)

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
Re: melodeons and airport security
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2013, 12:45:26 PM »

The playing thing, I think, is much the same as them making you turn your laptop on.  If it works, it's not just a shell containing something naughty, or that's the reasoning, anyway. As long as it hoots, they don't care about the tune.  :)
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

EastAnglianTed

• The wise wearer of the onesie
  • Castagnari Hascy-East Anglia for the win!
    • My Youtube account
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2013, 01:33:31 PM »

Cheers guys, very helpful, and thanks Lester in particular for BA and VIE info.
    I get a bit deflated whenever people 'ave a go' at having to be checked at security. It is their job and not a personal attack, but I love it when my box gets checked.   
    As my boxes always go through the scanner to and from Uni, I often gaze at the X-ray machine screen as it scans my box and I always think, "I wonder if they would print a copy out for me."
    Though saying this, there was one occasion where my Hascy had to be put into a red tray after it had been scanned, in order to be scanned again. The security man put my Hacy on my soft Hohner case in the tray, precariously balanced as he walked around with it looking for his superiors to double check the swabs.
     Jeezus, my heart nearly stopped. Uninsured,there was my baby perched on the edge of falling a good 4 feet onto hard floor. Luckily a quick word sorted it.
    I wasn't angry at the bloke in the slightest, but I did think from that point on that if any of my boxes were to go into the hold/be in another persons hands and out of my sight: insure it, pad it and protect it. Just a lesson that I learnt really, may not apply to other people.  ;) :D

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2013, 02:05:13 PM »

My experience is that the security staff seem quite used to the X-ray signature of all kinds of squeezeboxes.
As my boxes always go through the scanner to and from Uni, I often gaze at the X-ray machine screen as it scans my box and I always think, "I wonder if they would print a copy out for me."

Click image for old thread >
Abracadabra!
(took some finding! I'd stupidly filed it under "X")  ;D

_       _    _      _ 

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2013, 05:38:13 PM »

Flew over to Guernsey on Friday using Flybe out of Exeter airport. Because of the early dance spot on Sark, we travelled in kit 'to be ready'.
Top hat and tails of course.  8)
Tommy and bell pads put into gig bag, thinking this will *really* throw their security.
Put it on the belt as it was going through their X ray thingie....the lady watching the process simply said ' one of our lads does this, shame it's not his shift.....' and through it went  ;D

Unlike my mate's Dino Baffetti Super, which they didn't like and it went beep  :(

Conclusion: They seem to like Castagnari Tommy's in preference to DB' Supers  ;D

Good trip though..........
Q

Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2013, 06:18:10 PM »

Anyone out there have experience with carrying a melodeon through airport security? I am planning to take my one row on a trip (domestic within the US) in the next couple of months and would like some assurance that security agents aren't likely to insist on dismantling my melodeon. Anyone's experience is appreciated.

Back to thread ::) judging from USA rules on guns you should have little trouble. I was last there at O'Hare in 2005. The previous rules (on the wall there) allowed you to take the gun into the cabin, provided you checked in the ammo!

I have to say that some of us more innocent Europeans consider this "off the wall", but I accept that  melodeons are a bit more dangerous >:E
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 10:25:37 PM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2013, 09:03:46 PM »

( Anahata: ' Mary and I are off to Canada in three weeks ......'  back for sidmouth and the Radway sessions? )

Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2013, 09:49:55 PM »

No, we'll miss Sidmouth as we'll be at the Mill Race Festival - which is the only place to be if you're not at Sidmouth, of course...

And we have a concert at Port Dover on the shore of Lake Erie on August 10th. Terrible job but somebody's go to do it  ;)
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2013, 10:00:55 PM »

Ah well, good luck! Will miss you at sidmouth.
Sorry to drift - back to the plot!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Malcolm

• Respected Sage
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2013, 11:32:01 PM »

My wife and I flew to New York the week after 9/11 for the start of a three week holiday in The States to celebrate our silver wedding anniversary.  I had packed my faithfull Hohner Pokerwork just in case and had embeded it in a large suitcase to provide plenty of protection.  Inevitably security was uber-tight and I fully expected to have to unpack it or, at the very least, explain what the extraordinary contrapion was that the x-ray machine had revealed. To my surprise, not a word was said at Gatwick where we embarked or at Newark. New Jersey where we landed or at subsequent arrivals at San Francisco and Dallas.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (My first box). Hohner Pokerwork C/F (Thanks to Martyn White). Hohner 4 Stops in G (My Minehead Box), D & C. Hohner Erikas in D/G & Bb/Eb (Thanks to Mike Rowbottom & Martyn White). Saltarelle Berry D/G (The token Costalotti) and a G/C Hohner Corso (wetter than an English summer)

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2013, 11:55:58 AM »

There is a fair bit of mythology about this. I get about quite a lot. I've only had to open and show an accordéon once, slightly weirdly this was in Paris. Someone posted having to actually play a few notes at Helsinki, (then watched €10 pass between the inspectors) >:E. I've been through there 7-8 times with no problem whatsoever.

But I wouldn't ever put a melodeon in the hold ::) bags frequently experience 1-2m drops. You might protect the exterior but the reed plates end up as ratatouille. Try the "Ryanair" button on http://chrisryall.net/chords to see what I mean, based on actually observation of baggage handlers at Liverpool airport.
  _       _    _      _ 

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2013, 04:49:46 PM »

Generally, I agree with Chris.  Avoid at all costs.

However, I have used the best Pelican and Belair cases for a lot of medical and medical electronics packing and found them to be amazingly effective when properly fitted.

That said, I would sill pray to the divinities if I had to check a nice box, even in that type of case.
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2013, 05:51:04 PM »

I've had my box x-rayed a few times when I used to fly regularly to Germany - never a problem, although they would call all the operators over to show them what it looked like.  I did, however, work for a while airside at Heathrow and most of the airlines don't have their own baggage handlers, so they use aerfungus' services.  Note: most packed items do not bounce...

Rob.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal