Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 10-bass box  (Read 1629 times)

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
10-bass box
« on: September 20, 2011, 01:13:02 PM »

I was looking the other day at a 2.5 row box, probably Austrian, Swiss or Italian, with a 10-bass left hand, a layout I have seen a few times before on what you might call mid-European instruments. It's basically a standard 8-button with two extra buttons, one alongside each chord button on the outer row. I was just wondering what these buttons might be used for - a minor chord, seventh chord, or some other chord that could be used in conjunction with one of the fundamental buttons like a counterbass on a PA? Just idle curiosity, really, but the possibility of having the choice of more chords is intriguing...

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

pgroff

Re: 10-bass box
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 02:17:00 PM »

Hi Graham,

Some of the larger club system boxes have 10 basses in a layout that may fit your description.  (See pic below of an early 1930s Hohner that has features intermediate between Modell 234 and Modell 235).

The extra buttons are for dominant 7th chords based on the same root note as given by the bass button located below the chord button adjacent to each extra button.  You can find the layouts here:

http://www.delaguerre.com/delaguerre/pedagogy/club/layout.html#10-key_Club_System_Bass_Layout

(There is actually an error in that diagram for the 10-bass layout -- an extra C/G bass button is shown -- but you should be able to figure out what is intended).

Apologies in advance if this is not the same 10-bass system you saw.

PG

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 04:25:27 PM »

Thanks PG - confirmed what I suspected.  Yes, that's exactly the same layout, and I'd be surprised if the box wasn't a Club. The casework looked very similar to the one in your pic.

Cheers
Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Cooper

• Gaillrd G/C/#,Casta Allain8 GC,Lofft CF, giord ad
    • Cooper's homepage
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 08:04:16 PM »

i've seen some not with extra chords, but just with extra basses,
W
Please correct my English, it's been a while, and i like to learn.
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal