Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anahata's version of Stoney Steps  (Read 2313 times)

Telemorris

• Respected Sage
  • C/F Preciosa
Anahata's version of Stoney Steps
« on: September 28, 2011, 07:02:26 PM »

I'm looking for a score for Anahata's version of Stoney Steps and getting lost in the different versions online that bear no resemblance to the tune he plays. Anyone know a specific score?

Thanks
Ed Stevens
Bridgetown Morris Men
Portland, Oregon, US
Erica D/G, Presswood Pokerwork G/C, Preciosa C/F

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
Re: Anahata's version of Stoney Steps
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 07:08:21 PM »

I seem to have this on my file system.
It's also in Hard Core English

X: 1
T:Stoney Steps
M:4/4
L:1/8
S:Offord
Z:Anahata <anahata@treewind.co.uk>
K:G
G2 BG dBgB|ecAd GFED|ECB,C  A,2 AB|cABG GFED|
G2 BG dBgB|ecAd GFED|ECB,C  A,2 AB|cAGF G4||
G,A,B,C DEFG|ABcd B2G2|BcAF G2 ef|ged^cd4|
dBgd =cBed|cBAG FEDC|B,DGD CEAc|BAGF G2z2||

« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 07:10:37 PM by Anahata »
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Telemorris

• Respected Sage
  • C/F Preciosa
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 07:31:46 PM »

Thank you Anahata.

I've been listening to your Youtube recording and love it. It goes at such a fast clip I thought I might do better with the score.

Say, while I'm talking to you about one of your recordings, I'd like to ask how you go about creating/writing/learning your own rendition of a tune? I'm thinking more of your recording of "La Marianne," when asking this. You do a wonderful job with the basses, btw. Do you compose, starting with the score, make decisions about basses and chords before picking up the melodeon? Do you start by learning the tune in the right hand and then change the buttons you use based on the push/pull in the bass and what sounds good for bass runs?

I'm interested in finding a fairly efficient method for creating a composition for myself that I then can write down and learn rather than the hunt and peck method that I employ presently.

Thanks,

Telemorris
Ed Stevens
Bridgetown Morris Men
Portland, Oregon, US
Erica D/G, Presswood Pokerwork G/C, Preciosa C/F

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 08:18:33 PM »

First, I've known La Marianne for a long time, though not actually played it much. A band I'm in used to play it with Jon Swayne's Robin's Waltz. It probably helps to have had the tune in my head for a while...

Do you start by learning the tune in the right hand and then change the buttons you use based on the push/pull in the bass and what sounds good for bass runs?
That's a fairly accurate summary, though I'm probably trying things out in the basses right from the start.

My approach to the bass end is essentially melodic. My first instrument was the cello and I played bass lines in orchestral and chamber music for many years, so the feel of an appropriate bass line comes naturally by training. When I head John Kirkpatrick play his button accordion I realised you can take the same sort of approach on a squeezebox, and though I played Stradella bass instruments first I didn't see why I shouldn't make the most of what the melodeon has to offer in the bass end when I switched to melodeon later.

So I do look for a good bass line, and I don't care which row I play any particular part of the tune on, if it means I can find a way of fitting a nice bass line with it.

La Marianne happens to offer some great opportunities: a descending harmony line in the A music, which I fit in the RH because the basses don't go there, and in the B music a choice of a drone/pedal note or a bass line moving stepwise per bar. Having the bass go up while the tune pattern goes down (from one bar to the next) is often a good idea to keep the harmony sounding balanced.

I'm interested in finding a fairly efficient method for creating a composition for myself that I then can write down and learn rather than the hunt and peck method that I employ presently.

I didn't write any of La Marianne down, but I have done arrangements that way, e.g. of the some of the tunes I do with Mary on English concertina. But often what I write down doesn't work well, and I can play a better harmony by ear, so I end up doing both, i.e. playing things by ear, a bit of trial and error, and then writing down what I play when I've got it sounding right, before I forget!

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 09:07:15 PM »

I seem to have this on my file system.
It's also in Hard Core English

X: 1
T:Stoney Steps
M:4/4
L:1/8
S:Offord
Z:Anahata <anahata@treewind.co.uk>
K:G
G2 BG dBgB|ecAd GFED|ECB,C  A,2 AB|cABG GFED|
G2 BG dBgB|ecAd GFED|ECB,C  A,2 AB|cAGF G4||
G,A,B,C DEFG|ABcd B2G2|BcAF G2 ef|ged^cd4|
dBgd =cBed|cBAG FEDC|B,DGD CEAc|BAGF G2z2||

I notice two subtle differences between this abc and the last tune in Hardcore English, neither of which I'm taking issue with I hasten to add but the second caused me quite a bit of difficulty getting used to as I'd learned it the way you have it written then noticed it was different in the book and re-learned it because I thought I'd got it wrong the first time around!

So the first difference is that both A & B parts repeat. The other difference is in the first phrase of the penultimate bar which you have as B,DGD and Hardcore English shows as B,DGB, . Well, you wouldn't believe how long it took me to get that small phrase right the second time around ...  ::)
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 09:31:11 PM »

From memory ( the book's in the other room! ) there are several versions in Hardcore, including the one Anahata plays.
It is an inspiring tune, and Anahata's video gets regular playing on my ipod.
All good stuff!
cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 10:09:11 PM »

From memory ( the book's in the other room! ) there are several versions in Hardcore, including the one Anahata plays.

Yes, quite so. The very last tune in the book is note for note (apart from one) the same as Anahata shows it. I think I had Anahata's abc when I first learned the tune, then moved onto the version in Hardcore English because a book is so much easier to work with than loose bits of paper. Sometime later I realised that I wasn't playing it as written in the book, tried the other (as published) way and liked it and assumed that I'd done one of those musical dyslexia things and changed the notes because it was easier to play that way ...

I constantly refer to Anahatas recordings too, along with many others made by melnet and concertina.net members, and I draw inspiration from them all.  (:)
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Anahata

• Treewind Music
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 11:06:06 AM »

Peter: I'm in Tenterden now so don't have access to files or a copy of HCE but discrepancies like that happen very easily and ago how we end up with 8 versions of the tune in print. I think I play B,DGB, CEAc
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal