Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for October 2011: The Sloe  (Read 32804 times)

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Tune of the Month for October 2011: The Sloe
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2011, 12:37:12 PM »

Our son Andrew was in town over the weekend with his doumbek, and he noticed that the traditional middle eastern rhythm called saidi seemed to fit this tune. Here, at the possible risk of offending both anglo and arab listeners, is the result of our collaboration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gu-nbGUK_Fo&feature=related
Sounds great.
It must of been loud and you overpowered the microphone. ;)

howard mitchell

• Respected Sage
    • Howard Mitchell
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2011, 01:53:02 PM »

Here's mine for this month http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDFjUYvKt5o
This time in C on a C/G Bertrand Gaillard.

Howard
Saltarelle D/G, Hohner D/G, Hohner C/F, Dallape C/F, Hohner A/D, Gaillard G/C, Sagne D, Roland FR18D, Hohner Bb/Eb.

Ellisteph

« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2011, 08:18:56 PM »

Here's my go at The Sloe. I've played it in C again, I just tried it and liked the way the bass chords and runs fitted in. Interested to know what you all think.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th23hZTfE-Q

Salterelle Connemara III, Loffet Pro C/F

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2011, 12:04:22 AM »

Should be getting a proper melodeon on Friday!   :|||: ::)

However, for your amusement, how to join in TOTM before you have a melodeon.  It does mean when I go in to the Big City to try these prospective purchases out, at least I know one tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Itap-B86M6s
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2011, 09:12:26 AM »

However, for your amusement, how to join in TOTM before you have a melodeon.  It does mean when I go in to the Big City to try these prospective purchases out, at least I know one tune.

I'm well impressed - if you can play this well on a phone, I think we can expect great things once you're playing an actual instrument!  ;D

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2011, 09:16:55 AM »

Sounding good.
Cool. If you come to the session next month with your melodeon do you want me to start 'the sloe'? Then you can join in. ;D :|||:

Sandy

• 'Musical Landlady'
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2011, 10:01:11 AM »

Seems to be quite a few variations of the third bar....

cheers
Sandy
p.s. working on the tune (:)

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2011, 10:29:12 AM »

I noticed there were some variants too, so I just played it how I liked. Admit that my performance was somewhat limited by the size of the buttons on the screen!
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2011, 11:31:53 AM »

Well, yer tiz!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMXvJkMGoPQ

My first TOTM, and I'm quite surprised at how nerves in front of a camera in the privacy of my own home has got to me, so a bit subdued.... I now understand and have even more respect for those entering TOTM.

For me it's a 'no frills' go through, so nothing unusal or off piste.
cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2011, 12:24:29 PM »

Seems to be quite a few variations of the third bar....

Not just the third bar!  My version is definitely slightly different from the way everyone else plays it; it's probably a case of slightly misremembering how it goes, or having over the years found slight variations that suit my own playing style better, or maybe having learned it from someone who played it (more or less) the way I do. To be honest, I'd be very surprised if any two of us played almost any tune exactly the same - quite often I don't play a tune exactly the same twice running anyway!  That's one of the things I love about folk music - there's no "correct" version of a tune, and your variant is as valid as anyone else's.

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2011, 12:39:45 PM »

Cool. If you come to the session next month with your melodeon do you want me to start 'the sloe'? Then you can join in. ;D :|||:
It's about the only tune I do know!  Was practicing it quite a bit. 

So 3p (may I call you 3p?) and I have taken the plunge.  Nerve-wracking but people here are nice, and it's good to get support/constructive criticism/performance experience/a new tune under the belt.

I'm slightly worried about converting the "press a screen" bellows action to "squeeze a box" but hopefully because my right hand knows what it's doing my left hand will pick it up.  My plan is to practice it on the proper box for a while and then do a video on that just before the month is out.
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2011, 12:50:46 PM »

So 3p (may I call you 3p?)

I'd guess "3d" might be nearer the mark! ;D
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2011, 01:53:43 PM »

To quote our very fondly remembered landlady of the Drewe Arms in Drewsteignton, Aunt Mabel, on her 100th brithday was still running the pub. A local BBC reported asked is she minded being called 'Aunt' by everyone.
She replied with a mischievious twinkle in her eye, " You can call me anything you want, so long as you don't call me late for dinner!"
This totally confused said reporter and had the rest of us rolling around  ;D

I think I was made pre-decimalistation, so GPS is correct. '3d' is more accurate.
But I won't take offence ;)

....and an amazing first, as far as I know,  on an app. Well done!
cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2011, 02:03:37 PM »

Well, yer tiz!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMXvJkMGoPQ

My first TOTM, and I'm quite surprised at how nerves in front of a camera in the privacy of my own home has got to me, so a bit subdued.... I now understand and have even more respect for those entering TOTM.

For me it's a 'no frills' go through, so nothing unusal or off piste.
cheers
Q

Well done, 3d bit on your first TOTM. Here's looking forward to lots more.  (:)

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2011, 10:57:23 AM »

I'm well impressed - if you can play this well on a phone, I think we can expect great things once you're playing an actual instrument!  ;D

Agreed! I had a go on that iPhone app (someone else's phone) the other day and it did my head in.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #75 on: October 21, 2011, 12:09:21 PM »

Agreed! I had a go on that iPhone app (someone else's phone) the other day and it did my head in.

If that's the case, what hope is there for we lesser mortals?  :'(

Baz

who has enough trouble dialling numbers on a "granny in the glovebox" phone...

PS...Q...why the handy hosepipie?  Spontaneous combustion?
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #76 on: October 21, 2011, 12:14:25 PM »

I have the advantage of long thin fingers and much use of the iPhone. I was having difficulty with the bellows getting stuck but after an email to the developer it turned out I should have been pressing the grille, not the Hohner logo as I was.

What hosepipe?  The thing on the bottom right is the extension lead my keyboard plugs into.
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #77 on: October 21, 2011, 12:22:00 PM »

Ye Gods; just had a look and its up to 80 views. I can only presume its melodeonists and iPhone enthusiasts marvelling that it can be done. I mean, its not even that sort of video - you can hardly see my ... bellows.
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #78 on: October 21, 2011, 01:20:03 PM »

Ye Gods; just had a look and its up to 80 views. I can only presume its melodeonists and iPhone enthusiasts marvelling that it can be done. I mean, its not even that sort of video - you can hardly see my ... bellows.

81 now!  I've tried this myself - it's not easy, is it? :D

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #79 on: October 21, 2011, 02:11:58 PM »

What hosepipe?  The thing on the bottom right is the extension lead my keyboard plugs into.

The hosepipe was in view in Q's (3d as you would have him...) TOTM video...just teasing him...we go back a long way...
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal