Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playford tunes  (Read 1599 times)

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
Playford tunes
« on: October 01, 2011, 05:27:40 PM »

Having had such a nice time learning In a Garden Green, went looking for the rest of the Playford tunes.

This is probably a dumb question, but why are so many in F?
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

rosenun

Re: Playford tunes
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 11:17:08 PM »

F was a very useful fiddle key until D/G melodeons came along!

oggiesnr

• Dino BPII, Alfred Arnold Bandoneon, Loffet G/C
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 07:42:42 AM »

Home key for soprannino, treble and bass recorders is F

Steve

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 02:49:29 PM »

Good key for brass, too.  And a lot of 3/2 hornpipes are in F or Bb, so I guess that was a common key for English bagpipes.
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Cooper

• Gaillrd G/C/#,Casta Allain8 GC,Lofft CF, giord ad
    • Cooper's homepage
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 11:03:04 PM »

Good key for brass, too.  And a lot of 3/2 hornpipes are in F or Bb, so I guess that was a common key for English bagpipes.

The last is what i was told once to be the reason,
W
Please correct my English, it's been a while, and i like to learn.
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 05:35:35 AM »

Come to think of it, the dozen or so sets of Northumbrian pipes kindly furnished by members of the Northumbrian Pipers Society for the beginners' workshop I mentioned in another thread were in F.  I've also heard it suggested that owing to the "pitch shift" and the raising of modern concert pitch to A=440, modern "F" is closer to the "G" of 200 years ago.  Not sure how much credence I put on that though.

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 09:05:24 AM »

Come to think of it, the dozen or so sets of Northumbrian pipes kindly furnished by members of the Northumbrian Pipers Society for the beginners' workshop I mentioned in another thread were in F.  I've also heard it suggested that owing to the "pitch shift" and the raising of modern concert pitch to A=440, modern "F" is closer to the "G" of 200 years ago.  Not sure how much credence I put on that though.

Graham

Northumbrian pipers repertoire is always written in G which tends to confirm that.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal