Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Your thoughts on G/C/F sought.  (Read 3702 times)

Bobtheboat

• 'On the cut' near Lichfield, UK
Your thoughts on G/C/F sought.
« on: October 02, 2011, 10:17:03 AM »

Hi all, I've noticed that much of the music I'm discovering I love is played on 3 row diatonic accordions in G/C/F.
Once my pokerwork sells I'm considering using the cash to part fund the purchase of one of these boxes.
I already have a G/C that is great and I'm very much enjoying but I'm sure I can squeeze in additional practice time for a 3 row.
Could I have your thoughts on the pro's and con's compared to a two row. Is it just a matter of having the ability to play a larger repertoire? Any other points you think worth mentioning? And does anyone know of
a three row tutor book? ( is one needed?)

Thanks, Bob.
'Rowbotham Erika Extraordinaire' (12 bass + stop G/C/acc), Hohner Liliput Bb-Eb. Castagnari Rik G/C/acc

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
Re: Your thoughts on G/C/F sought.
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 02:50:36 PM »

The GCF/Corona layout is a lot of fun.  It is like having a GC box and a CF box, and you can play across the rows all over the place.

What is does not do, if you are going continental, is give you a bunch of accidentals in nice locations, so playing Eastern, Klez, a lot of cool French, etc. is not as easy as a GC#.
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Bobtheboat

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 05:04:00 PM »

Blimey! Now it's getting complicated! More research needed. Cheers, Bob.
'Rowbotham Erika Extraordinaire' (12 bass + stop G/C/acc), Hohner Liliput Bb-Eb. Castagnari Rik G/C/acc

Andy in Vermont

• Mélodie
    • Melodeon Minutes (blog)
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 01:52:06 PM »

Blimey! Now it's getting complicated! More research needed. Cheers, Bob.

Bob,
Here's something to help in your research:
http://melodeonminutes.blogspot.com/2011/08/extraordinary-three-row-playing.html

Bobtheboat

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 02:09:02 PM »

Thanks Andy, those videos are great! I had to count twice to make sure that guy didn't have more fingers than usual on his right hand! Fantastic!! Cheers, Bob.

Bobtheboat

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 04:16:02 PM »

Hi JB, the music I'm mostly into is euro stuff in particular French. It seems from what Steve has said that I may have mistakenly identified GC# boxes as GCF's. I'm still trying to find out what would be the most suitable system for French music! However I'm enjoying watching all the videos and the rest of the research! Cheers, Bob.

Graham W

• Respected Sage
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 05:05:47 PM »

I'm still trying to find out what would be the most suitable system for French music!

Having been down this road myself a couple of years back, there isn't one most suitable system. Keyboard layout charts on La-Baf, La maison de l'accordeon etc show you some of the options,  and François Heim' s G/C/# layout seems to be pretty widely used. I eventually bought a Castagnari Rik (through dia-tonic.com)  from France with that layout and have been highly delighted with it.  Accidentals and reversals fall very conveniently to hand on the whole and playing across all three rows makes perfect sense, it's been a real revelation. There are occasions when I curse it and wish a note was somewhere else, but I suspect that's more to do with my limitations than the instrument. Given that any melodeon layout is a compromise of some sort, then it seems a pretty good one to me.

Good luck !

Steve C.

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 06:49:23 PM »

Reinforcing what you are already hearing, look at some of the popular GC# systems, unless you really want the GCF/Corona layout style box.

Here in the States, probably 95% of 3 rows are probably GCF/Corona and a lot of people are used to it and they are easy to re-sell.  FBbEb and ADG and a few other make up the other 4% and the 1 percenters you will meet here on melnet, playing the GC's with accidentals on the 3rd row.

Some good GC here:  http://users.telenet.be/wimvanhauwaert/diato/Sheet_music_diato_gc.html

Other side of the pond, different story.  Lotta GC and GC# options.  "Next" box will probably be a GC#, either Heim or one of the Milleret/Pignol layouts, and maybe even with 18 bases!  And maybe no thirds either.  Or stop to remove.

Get something not too expensive, and easy to sell, it won't be your forever box but you will get started and be able to figure out what you really want.

Bobtheboat

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 09:30:54 AM »

Thanks for your help fellas, looks like a GC# may be outside my price range for now. I'm thinking I'll probably get a reasonably priced GCF for now and see how that suits. As said above once I'm more experienced I'll have a better idea of what I want. Until then I've loads of fun ahead learning with what I've got. The main reason I was thinking of buying a new box was so I didn't lose the proceeds of the sale of my pokerwork into the general 'moneypit' of life!!
 I also have a cunning plan to put a few pounds aside each month so that in 3-4 years, when I'm ready for it, I'll have the funds for a GC# Castagnari Benny as seen recently on Rees' site. Or a Loffet....... Or (wow) a Bergflodt!!
Thanks again Guys ( Steve that site is brilliant!) Bob.

Cooper

• Gaillrd G/C/#,Casta Allain8 GC,Lofft CF, giord ad
    • Cooper's homepage
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 09:46:41 AM »

If you really want to go into the French route, and you DONT want to buy a GC# yet, i would advise just a GC2row. You win very little with the F row, and you lose in the weight-department,
W
Please correct my English, it's been a while, and i like to learn.
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 09:56:45 AM »

When I'm in France I usually only take G/C - everything just lies under the fingers. You should bear in mind whether your local sessions play these tunes in their home Am/G/C keys. Also, if there are gurdies about,  a row in D can be very useful.   An F scale can be useful in Breton, but mainly for 'jazzy' impro.  There's a very competent breton 'Gasman' who does it all on a CF .. on the pull

Have (re)started another thread on the intriguing G/C# issue -though  suspect it would be of most  use in Louisianna  8)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 09:58:27 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 

Bobtheboat

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 11:21:50 AM »

Hi, as I said in the o.p. I already have a G/C, it's a lovely walnut effect 20's-30's hohner 2815 that I got from Mike Rowbotham. It's fab and I'm really enjoying plugging away at the Milleret and Pignol tutor book. I love the lower tone compared to a D/G. And the music I'm discovering is fabulous! Again, the reason I was thinking about getting another box is so the money stays in instruments and the memsahib can't spend it on garden furniture!!
Thanks for the interest, Bob.

Cooper

• Gaillrd G/C/#,Casta Allain8 GC,Lofft CF, giord ad
    • Cooper's homepage
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 11:30:03 AM »

Hi, as I said in the o.p. I already have a G/C, it's a lovely walnut effect 20's-30's hohner 2815 that I got from Mike Rowbotham. It's fab and I'm really enjoying plugging away at the Milleret and Pignol tutor book. I love the lower tone compared to a D/G. And the music I'm discovering is fabulous! Again, the reason I was thinking about getting another box is so the money stays in instruments and the memsahib can't spend it on garden furniture!!
Thanks for the interest, Bob.

Get a DiGi or an Aydee box then instead of the GCF ;-)
\
Or get a GCF and replace al the reeds from the F-row with accidentals you want to have. (and the subsequent changes on your left hand)
W
Please correct my English, it's been a while, and i like to learn.
And don't be so polite! I know i must be typing tons of stuff that a native speaker would say differently...please enlighten me.

www.wouterkuyper.nl
www.lirio.nl
www.trekzakacademie.nl

Bobtheboat

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 05:22:26 PM »

Hi, thanks to all for your advice and insights, I've found them very useful. After some thought, and having taken some professional advice, I've decided to go for an affordable G/C/acc option. Again, very grateful for the input, Bob.

Andy in Vermont

• Mélodie
    • Melodeon Minutes (blog)
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 04:22:07 PM »

Hi, thanks to all for your advice and insights, I've found them very useful. After some thought, and having taken some professional advice, I've decided to go for an affordable G/C/acc option. Again, very grateful for the input, Bob.

Bob,
Please follow up and tell us what you get -- I'm curious which G/C/acc option qualifies as "affordable," since I have found that almost all 3 row boxes are lux (except for restored oldies, which are more often G/C/F than G/C/acc).
-Andy

Steve C.

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2011, 02:52:14 PM »

Take a look at the Hohner Galaad.  With a very little "fettleing" as you guys call it, this would be a nice CG#.  They are pretty dry but the quality of the tuning is pretty variable.  Still need some button travel limit and a little de-clackifying. But at least this side of pond, probably the most reasonable GC#.

Another alternative, thought will end up costing about the same, is a complete retune of a 3 row Corona.

Bobtheboat

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2011, 03:01:06 PM »

Hi Steve,
 it is indeed a restored oldie that I'm looking at. I'm just at the stage of deciding which particular oldie it's going to be! Will let you know. I have looked at the Galaad. I have a soft spot for the oldies though! (old accordions I'm mean obviously!!) Bob.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal