Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: is anonimity really necessary  (Read 17273 times)

Mike Gott

• Respected Sage
  • Melodeon and hairy arm
Re: is anonimity really necessary
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2008, 01:26:25 PM »

Being open is definitely the thing, and to reinforce this opinion I have changed my avatar to one showing me in my morris musicians kit. (At least I think thats what the caption on the photo said).

Mike
"Traditional music was for entertainment, it wasn't for a further education class" (Bob Davenport)

Rivington Morris, Bolton, Lancashire.

joe

• Regular debater
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2008, 02:05:38 PM »

I just want to break free.....

pipives

• Respected Sage
    • Pip Ives
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2008, 02:26:56 PM »

See the problem is this George, 163 have viewed your thread but only 17 have responded - what have those others got to hide ????

You may have to get C age ing to hunt them down !

Martin

yup, I'm not called No Strings Attached

I ain't got anything to hide, just been away for a bit. And I'm off again tomorrow!
Faversham, Kent

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2008, 03:05:44 PM »

Aha, Theo, but it works both ways. Allowing name changes brings its own problems. thesession.org provides a good example - a fair bit of argy-bargy and personal attack goes on there, and those at the centre of a conflagration (often those who cause the most trouble) just change usernames, so you lose track of which eejit is which.

Steve Jones

Ha Ha!

Of course an unmoderated forum like this depends on the good sense of all the members.  I can think of at least two members here who are actually the same person,  but to be honest I think the poor old chap sometimes forgets who he is, so he may not realise he has two usernames.  ;D
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2008, 04:49:44 PM »

Point made, reverting to my real name - for now. (Talk about common: I was once a member of a five-piece band with two Steve Joneses in it. And I've lost count of the number of famous people or people in the news with the same name...)  >:(

Itu

• Itu Ana-we
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2008, 11:37:59 PM »

While Itu is not my real name, about half the people I know call me by it. My real name is Angie. I live here in the middle of a cornfield in the USA.
The name Itu came about as a computer generated name that I was playing when I met my husband (while playing the game). But it is also my stage name when I perform Middle Eastern dance (aka belly dancing). No it's not my profession, but one of my favorite hobbies. It is not unusual for me to pick up the phone and have the person on the other end say "Hello Itu!"

D_mentias

« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2008, 09:02:26 AM »

I am not sure what my real name was....do you know?

Martin J

• Poole, Dorset
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2008, 09:46:37 AM »

Was it confused ?
Castagnari, Weltmeister, Giustozzi, Streb, too many Hohners.  No Strings Attached ceilidh band

Ancient Muse

« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2008, 12:10:04 PM »

But it is also my stage name when I perform Middle Eastern dance (aka belly dancing). No it's not my profession, but one of my favorite hobbies.

There's a lot of us about!    :D   

I am a Desert Diva (apparently there are several groups of that name - we are the Barry chapter!) but as yet haven't chosen a Goddess name ...

Andy <:((((><

Falseknight

• Respected Sage
    • False Knight
« Reply #49 on: August 11, 2008, 12:26:32 AM »

"Falseknight" is my main (currently only) acoustic project.  The email is real and there is enough information on the website to sink a ship  :)

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2008, 09:20:39 AM »

My real name is soo common and boring when  use it people get me confused with other people so I prefer Ladydetemps....or Lady D

Pete of Ebor

• Now I remember why I took up Melodeon...
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2008, 09:47:30 AM »

...we lived in a brown paper bag in a septic tank.

...we used t'ave t'gerup up at 5 in tmorning and lick tarmac clean wi our tungs.

Right..

we used t' ave t' gerup at 5 in't morning - half an 'our before we went t'bed
eat a lump o' freezin' cold poison
walk 27 miles t'go t'work down't mill for 28 hous a day
an' pay't mill owner for't privelige
an' when we'd got back we'd 'ave t'listen to some noisy bu**er next door practicing Princess Royal...

an' you try tellin't younguns o'today that an' they won't beleive ya..
Never put off 'till tomorrow, what you can do today - 'cos if you like it today, you can do it again tomorrow !

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2008, 10:38:22 PM »

We know where you live!  :P
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Dazbo

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Danger MAD Here!
    • My YouTube Channel for melodeons, morris and folk in general
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2008, 01:24:01 PM »

My full name is very unusual

I'm with Ayla on this.  It's okay if you're John Jones or Steve Brown but if you're called Darren Xystopoulos* and you happen to let on that you're touring the USA for the next two months* it does advertise that your home is probably empty with plenty of nice spanking new melodeons* awaiting pick up.

*Unfortunately all untrue
Ciao Bellow

Darren

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2008, 04:20:59 PM »

Happy to use my real name on forums such as this.

For those who are interested, my surname is derived from Old Norman French and means intelligent or good looking.

Unfortunately my first name is Scottish and means "not very".....

:'( :'( :'(

Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

Mutt

• Melodiate
  • Good talker
  • D/G Saltarelle Infeno, D/G Club IIb, A/D Pokerwork
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2008, 07:42:11 PM »

My online name is different than my real name because, eons ago, when I first started my online ramblings, that was the way I thought it was done.  Now that "Mutt" is my ID on numerous other message boards, I like to keep it that way for the sake of continuity, so my friends in one place can easily identify me in another.  It's not about trying to hide; it's just the opposite.

I hadn't included much personal information out of sheer laziness, but in the interests of neighborly transparency, I've updated my profile.

Howdy and good to know ya.
George Knight
Anchorage, Alaska
Yes, brrrrrrr!

Hello

• Regular debater
  • mmm
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2008, 01:37:42 AM »

I have a particularly identifiable name and if you knew it you'd all want my autograph!

Well, ok, probably not unless it was on a blank cheque. But the fact is that anyone can join this forum (potentially even the same person more than once) and therefore, sadly, one has to anticipate the inclusion of some less desirable folk, for whom melodeons are but a minor consideration.

As long people contribute sensibly, who they are is immaterial.
Of course if you meet people, then you can always divulge your forum identity with the result that your forum identity is associated (to the chosen few) with you.

There are some well-known members on here that use their real names and I respect them for it, but generally in this day and age I would, with regret, be suspicious of anyone too eager to divulge their personal details.
Trying is the first step towards failing

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2008, 07:43:47 AM »

I would, with regret, be suspicious of anyone too eager to divulge their personal details.

Perhaps a naive view on my part, but I would be more suspicious of those who don't!

MC
(blank cheques accepted with pleasure   ;)  )
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

Ptarmigan

• Good talker
  • Hohner Club C/F
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2008, 08:35:32 AM »

I would actively encourage any young person, joining any forum, to keep their real identity a secret, at all times.

However, for the rest of us old, bearded farts, I don't really see the point in being too secretive about our identity.

Let's face it, we're only talking about Melodeons here & as we all know, if you leave one of those visible, on the back seat of your car, when you return, you'll probably find a couple more dumped beside it!  ;D ;D ;D

Fergus_fiddler

« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2008, 09:10:08 AM »

I would actively encourage any young person, joining any forum, to keep their real identity a secret, at all times.

Agree. But beeing almost in my forties, and becoming more old fashioned every day; there are very few things about I can get embarrased anymore.

My first name is very usual in my languaje, not as well my surname, so I avoid to post in any forum with the real one... enough had I to stand be named "jerk" or "nerd" by most of people when I begun to learn Irish fiddle. ::)

Fortunatelly, my girlfriend - hopefully, wife next spring - is english and as old fashioned as myself; so she would stand patiently my first steps on Anglo 'tina and melodeon ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal