Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What to look for when buying second-hand  (Read 4701 times)

The Blues Viking

• Respected Sage
Re: What to look for when buying second-hand
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2011, 08:43:25 PM »

I know that people advise not to buy on eBay, and I have had some hair-raising experiences, but the box I play every day was bought sight unseen (through this group not eBay), my Liliput was bought on eBay (with an intention to restore of course), my Oakwood was bought on eBay, my G/C was bought on eBay... if you restrict your scope for buying to those boxes you can play in person, you limit the choice of available boxes.  If you buy from a music shop you are also likely to spend significantly more money.

Well, to be honest, I did buy my first Erica on Ebay, paid a couple of hundred dollars for it, and was satisfied with it for years, but haven't had as good a buy since. And even the Erica wasn't what I expected. A stick-on Polish flag covered some damage to the MOTS, and the case had a sticker that said "A/D", clearly visible in the photos, but when I got the thing it was in G/C. But that was just my second box. I've learned since.

TBV

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2011, 05:40:11 AM »

my Oakwood was bought on eBay,

As a general rule, I would have thought that buying a prestige box such as an Oakwood in eBay is a far safer bet than buying a beginner's box. Anyone selling an instrument like an Oakwood is likely to know what they're about, as is any potential purchaser.  I would think that would apply to any area on eBay - top-end gear, whether it's musical instruments, tools, photographic equipment, whatever, is likely to be a safer buy than cheap & cheerful. 
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2011, 08:02:31 AM »

As a general rule, I would have thought that buying a prestige box such as an Oakwood in eBay is a far safer bet than buying a beginner's box.

Agreed with a couple of important exceptions.  With any expensive item on ebay there is a small risk of buying a stolen box, or being taken in by a fraudulent auction.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Alison Scott

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Oakwood, Dino Baffetti, Roma, Liliput, Streb etc.
    • Macadamia
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2011, 01:44:10 PM »

As a general rule, I would have thought that buying a prestige box such as an Oakwood in eBay is a far safer bet than buying a beginner's box.

Agreed with a couple of important exceptions.  With any expensive item on ebay there is a small risk of buying a stolen box, or being taken in by a fraudulent auction.

I'd agree with both of these; luckily, if there are convincing melodeon-selling fraudsters out there I haven't found one, because in every case a couple of emails back and forth to the seller has removed all doubt from my mind.  And this group has been quite assiduous in spotting those fraudulent grey Paolos. I think this is true for most things actually -- while I am sure there are clever, plausible thieves out there whose story convinces in depth,  I don't think you find many of them on eBay when there are much bigger scams to perpetrate.

I think in truth the trick with buying second-hand is to be spending little enough that you don't much care what nick the box is in, or enough that you can spend some time working out who's owned the box, who's been tuning it, that sort of thing. It's the middle ground where the risk occurs.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal