Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Childe ballads on Melodeon  (Read 1250 times)

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
Childe ballads on Melodeon
« on: October 25, 2011, 01:20:11 AM »

Does anyone have a source for #'s that lend themselves particularly well to melodeon, and even better, any Youtube or similar references to them being played.

Lots and lots of performances on guitar, etc. but many don't seem particularly suited for melodeon.

I am thinking maybe "2 Magicians"?  (favorite from Steeleye Span vinyl)  <<<danger: crustacean alert!
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Steve C.

Re: Childe ballads on Melodeon
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 01:21:19 AM »

already have wraggle taggle gypsy!

oggiesnr

• Dino BPII, Alfred Arnold Bandoneon, Loffet G/C
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 07:21:16 AM »

How many do you want?  Here's as good a place to start as any (complete with MIDIs) http://www.contemplator.com/child/index.html

Off the top of my head try Mattie Groves, Broom of the Cowdenknows, Four Marys, Bonny Earl o'Moray  (i've played versions of all of them at one time or another).

Have fun

Steve

Marje

• Respected Sage
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 09:33:29 AM »

There are so many settings of many of the Child ballads, it's not so much a case of choosing the right ones as choosing the right tune and arrangement. Presumably you're talking about you (or someone else) singing them not just doing an instrumental version?

In which case I'd say just keep experimenting until it sounds right. Some songs probably just won't work for you, while others will. Rather than play the tune, which could detract from the singing rather than supporting it, if you experiment with chords to give a sort of reedy drone in the background, that might work. It's worth trying left-hand chord buttons without the fundamentals (and possibly with 5ths removed) for that sort  of effect. You don't want too fussy an arrangement, as it's all about the story really, but if you want to do something fancy it might be better in between verses as an instrumental interlude at some point.

Oh yes, and there's the issue of the key. Being a "GFC man" you have a good choice of keys there, but do make sure you've got a comfortable singing key for the voice in each chosen song. 
Marje

Steve C.

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 04:22:06 AM »

Thanks both, found "Tam Lin" which I am working up....

I think I will try it in G (high G on my DG)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal