Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Tune of the Month for November 2011: Beatrice Hill's Three Hand Reel  (Read 19845 times)

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
Re: Tune of the Month for November 2011: Beatrice Hill's Three Hand Reel
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2011, 08:32:01 AM »

Does anyone have some background about Beatrice Hill and her polydexterous reel? Nick Barber mentions that the tune came from the English-Welsh border. In Nick's English Choice tunebook he has the second part up an octave - do english box players often play it that way?

Google is your friend  ;)

BEATRICE HILL'S THREE HANDED REEL. English, Reel. D Major. Standard tuning (fiddle). AABB. The tune is sourced to melodeon player Beatrice Hill, of Bromsberrow Heath, Forest of Dean, Worcestershire, who recorded it in 1952 for collector Russell Wortley. Hill's father was the village publican and was 'King', or leader, of the Bromsberrow Heath Morris Dancers. The tune was also in the repertoire of East Anglia hammered dulcimer player Walter Geary (Norfolk) and harmonica player Dennis Crowther (south Shropshire), and has even surfaced in folk tradition in Australia, played by fiddler Charlie Bachelor as a schottische. It is also known by the title "Late Kelly's Wake" in Australia

I have a vague recollection of seeing a photograph of her somewhere (presumably taken by Russell Wortley) with a Hohner 1-row, but I can't remember where.  Probably in an EFDSS Folk Music Journal..
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2011, 08:46:51 AM »

I have a vague recollection of seeing a photograph of her somewhere (presumably taken by Russell Wortley) with a Hohner 1-row, but I can't remember where.  Probably in an EFDSS Folk Music Journal..

Tried a Google Image search and found nothing except if you search Beatrice Hill melodeon the 6th image is ME and 48th is LdT   ;D
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 08:49:12 AM by Lester »

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2011, 12:46:30 PM »

BEATRICE HILL'S THREE HANDED REEL. English, Reel. D Major. Standard tuning (fiddle). AABB. The tune is sourced to melodeon player Beatrice Hill, of Bromsberrow Heath, Forest of Dean, Worcestershire, who recorded it in 1952 for collector Russell Wortley.
[/quote]
When did the Forest of Dean move? "The Forest of Dean is a geographical, historical and cultural region in the western part of the county of Gloucestershire".

Graham Spencer

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2011, 01:42:20 PM »

BEATRICE HILL'S THREE HANDED REEL. English, Reel. D Major. Standard tuning (fiddle). AABB. The tune is sourced to melodeon player Beatrice Hill, of Bromsberrow Heath, Forest of Dean, Worcestershire, who recorded it in 1952 for collector Russell Wortley.
When did the Forest of Dean move? "The Forest of Dean is a geographical, historical and cultural region in the western part of the county of Gloucestershire".
[/quote]

Come to that, when did Bromsberrow Heath move to The Forest of Dean?  It's near Ledbury, which as I recall is in Herefordshire. (OK, admittedly it's right on the Gloucestershire border, but still not Forest of Dean).
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2011, 02:01:00 PM »

In my defense I just cut'n'pasted it  ::)

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2011, 03:32:14 PM »

I've been listening to a MIDI of this at work to familiarise myself with the tune a bit.  Am I right in thinking this would work as a round?
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

Graham Spencer

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2011, 04:08:35 PM »

In my defense I just cut'n'pasted it  ::)

I'm sure you did - no responsibility on your part implied!!  ;D

folkbluesnbeyond

• Respected Sage
    • Folkbluesnbeyond
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2011, 04:19:51 PM »

Simple sketches from Suffolk., or should that be...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRVE70DgmvQ

All the best

Bill

Nige Rivers

• Late in the day attempt to learn the buttons.
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2011, 12:15:46 PM »

Simple sketches from Suffolk., or should that be...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRVE70DgmvQ

All the best

Bill

Lovely rendition, thank you, I stand some chance of getting to grips with this now. (:)
Don't let me buy another box until I can play the ones that I've got Rivers.

Malcolm

• Respected Sage
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2011, 06:30:21 AM »

Played here with Three Jolly Sheepskins on a Salterelle one row in D before I sold it to get my hot little hands on one of  Mike Rowbotham's 1930's Erika (and no regrets) ~http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09J1-V5jFqw
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (My first box). Hohner Pokerwork C/F (Thanks to Martyn White). Hohner 4 Stops in G (My Minehead Box), D & C. Hohner Erikas in D/G & Bb/Eb (Thanks to Mike Rowbottom & Martyn White). Saltarelle Berry D/G (The token Costalotti) and a G/C Hohner Corso (wetter than an English summer)

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2011, 11:59:55 AM »

Played here with Three Jolly Sheepskins on a Salterelle one row in D before I sold it to get my hot little hands on one of  Mike Rowbotham's 1930's Erika (and no regrets) ~http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09J1-V5jFqw

Malcom - that is fabulous, that box really has an edge to it!
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2011, 06:51:17 PM »

This really shows why so many of us love one rows. Excellent playing and a great, raw sound. Where can I get one like that???

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2011, 07:01:56 PM »

Here's mine, quite unadventurous, but I did try the B music an octave lower third time round.
Oakwood D/G (the new Dino special hasn't fallen out of favour, it just happened to be packed in the car for a gig at the time and I couldn't be bothered to drag it out again)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gig8c6hq2xk

« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 11:01:00 PM by Anahata »
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Guy

• Not quite enough melodeons....
    • Cats Claw
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2011, 07:51:48 PM »

This really shows why so many of us love one rows. Excellent playing and a great, raw sound. Where can I get one like that???

I have one which I was planning to put up for sale once I get some photos done.....
Guy, in South Wales

Cats Claw, http://www.cats-claw.co.uk

Jan Ivarson

• My wife says I do not need another Hohner
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2011, 08:59:13 PM »

I have a vague recollection of seeing a photograph of her somewhere (presumably taken by Russell Wortley) with a Hohner 1-row, but I can't remember where.  Probably in an EFDSS Folk Music Journal..

Among my music books I have one called "A Little Music - a collection of folk songs, instrumental tunes and dances" selected and compiled by Ashley Hutchings. Published 1976 (?) and the price was only £2,75.

Anyone else who has this book? All pictures are printed in a green color.

Page 37: Three Handed Reel with a picture of Mrs Beatrice Hill with a one row two stop box. Photograph taken by George Felton. I have scanned a copy of page 37.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 09:01:43 PM by Jan Ivarson »

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2011, 09:47:32 PM »

I have one which I was planning to put up for sale once I get some photos done.....
If its in D (and in my price range) I would be interested.

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2011, 09:06:53 AM »

Crikey! First of all the Forest of Dean in Worcestershire now Herefordshire is apparently in Gwent. Everywhere is on the move!
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2011, 09:33:43 AM »

a Salterelle one row in D

That's a very different beast to my Salterelle 1 row in D...

I wonder how many models they did/do?

Baz
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Malcolm

• Respected Sage
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2011, 05:02:42 PM »

"Crikey! First of all the Forest of Dean in Worcestershire now Herefordshire is apparently in Gwent. Everywhere is on the move!" - Tectonics??
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (My first box). Hohner Pokerwork C/F (Thanks to Martyn White). Hohner 4 Stops in G (My Minehead Box), D & C. Hohner Erikas in D/G & Bb/Eb (Thanks to Mike Rowbottom & Martyn White). Saltarelle Berry D/G (The token Costalotti) and a G/C Hohner Corso (wetter than an English summer)

student I

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2011, 07:57:47 PM »

Here's one schottischifieed a bit. I recorded an introduction afterwards and stuck it on the beginning which seemed to work at the time but...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6Mlnf50OSY
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal