Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello - I'm Diana  (Read 2282 times)

Diana

• New Starter
Hello - I'm Diana
« on: October 21, 2011, 09:45:22 PM »

I've just found out about your forum - I've been playing for a number of years (not very well) - and two weeks ago I went on my first residential course at JSArts in Grantham.  Bizarre really as I live in Grantham - but hubby Shaun thought I would get more out of the experience if I went for the whole weekend and stopped over - and I certainly did!  The accommodation was very comfortable and the food fantastic - I think Jo was trying to fatten us all up.
As for the tuition - by Issy Emeney - it was spot on.  I have very little confidence playing with other people and so found the group work, as well as the personal sessions, very useful.  Most of all I think I enjoyed meeting other people in the same position as myself and the brilliant evening 'sessions' when I even found the courage to join in.
So what now - I've come home with renewed enthusiasm - and I've found your forum so I'm looking for lots more encouragement.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: Hello - I'm Diana
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 12:37:57 AM »

Welcome to the forum, Diana!
It sounds like you had a good weekend.

Now then, there's still time to sign up for Melodeons at Witney, just about the best melodeon gathering experience you can have.  (:)
http://www.whitecottagewebsites.co.uk/homweekends/melodeons.htm
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Bobtheboat

• 'On the cut' near Lichfield, UK
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 04:47:28 PM »

Hi Di'  ;)
'Rowbotham Erika Extraordinaire' (12 bass + stop G/C/acc), Hohner Liliput Bb-Eb. Castagnari Rik G/C/acc

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 05:43:45 PM »

and I've found your forum so I'm looking for lots more encouragement.

You're here now so it's just as much your forum as anyone else's. ;)  Hello Diana, welcome to this vibrant and supportive community.

Pete.  ;D
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 06:13:31 PM »

Hello from Wales. Welcome, Diana.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

Fidjit

• my space on My Space
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 06:40:22 PM »

Welcome to the forum, Diana!
It sounds like you had a good weekend.

Now then, there's still time to sign up for Melodeons at Witney, just about the best melodeon gathering experience you can have.  (:)
http://www.whitecottagewebsites.co.uk/homweekends/melodeons.htm

Welcome. Steve should have told you about this place too. Great workshops in March each year.

http://www.eatmt.org.uk/

Cheers and welcome once again  :|glug

Chas
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 06:42:38 PM by Fidjit »

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 12:45:45 PM »

Welcome Diana!  Your post brought back memories of my first time attending the big Squeeze In in western Massachusetts.  What an amazing thing, that first time in a room filled with squeezers!
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

Ray Langton

• Regular debater
    • Ray Langton Music
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 08:24:32 PM »

Hello Diane and welcome to the wonderful world of squeezing! Being part of a morris team is the best way to get into playing as you will know they need the same tunes each week so you get lots of practice.
There are lots opportunities to join workshops-we have our own in Shropshire each year, Squeezing Shropshire, and many festivals will provide one off or sequences of workshops so just keep you eyes open-many come up under events on this forum.

Have a full set of Pratchetts on my shelf!

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 10:39:54 PM »

And don't forget - it's not just practice night for the dancers  :M , it's practice for us as well.  :||:
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 12:54:37 PM »

And don't forget - it's not just practice night for the dancers  :M , it's practice for us as well.  :||:
I wish the foreman understood that, dancers just expect a faultless performance every time - even when they spring something stupid like "Can we have an extra four beats there?"

On a good night I can restrain myself and just say "Sure, if you lose four beats somewhere else..."

Rob.

Strigulino

• The Night Owl
  • @strigulino on Twitter
    • Strig on YouTube
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2011, 02:06:10 PM »

Welcome!  Definitely true that mastery of anything is much easier with a good, friendly, frequently updated support group that you can turn to - here we are.  :)
~~~~~~~~~~~
The Strig

"World-famous poker player. Give her a good poker and she'll play any tune you like." - The Goon Show
Pets:  Two cats, one husband, a D/G Hohner Morgane, a C/F Liliput, a dark and mysterious anglo concertina, a Streb, a Giordy...

LIAM-ROBINSON

• Good talker
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2011, 10:54:31 AM »

Hi Diana,
            if you want to keep in touch with other melodeon players and events in Lincolnshire, drop me your email address and I'll keep you posted as to whats going on...cheers LIAM! :-)

docEdock

• Respected Sage
  • Hohners, Gaillards, Castagnaris
    • LoafingAboard
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 10:57:09 PM »

Hello Diana,
Thanks for posting your introduction. I discovered melnet about a year ago and have thoroughly benefited from the forum. I'm sure you'll enjoy the warmth and generous support that you'll receive.
Cheers,
Doc
How difficult can it be?
http://loafingaboard.blogspot.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal